• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

WR Shawn Hardy is 'N'

I don't think Walter's did well with development. I don't think we have any real data on Lubick with no spring ball and the overall weird situation. I thought the general thought on Betts was he would need a redshirt year. Not that he lit the world on fire, but we saw flashes. I think you have to give Lubick some credit for that. This fall will tell us more.

I forgot Martin in my first post. I think he'll be a weapon, too. I'll be disappointed if the receiving room isn't much, much better this fall, even without Wan'Dale.
We have been atrocious at WR development in the 3 years this staff has been here. WR is the easiest to see the field early for a first year player because you don't have to worry about getting stronger or bigger, just be fast like you are. All of Ohio State's WRs against us were less than 200 pounds. The Heisman winner was less than 200 pounds. We recruited just like that but couldn't get any of them on the field which I can't fathom especially with how many guys we recruited.

2018 class was celebrated for fixing the depth in the room and bringing in fast talent, 2019 "was even better than 2018", 2020 guys could barely get on the field. I have no idea what's going on but it needs to get better.

We have been atrocious at WR development in the 3 years this staff has been here. WR is the easiest to see the field early for a first year player because you don't have to worry about getting stronger or bigger, just be fast like you are. All of Ohio State's WRs against us were less than 200 pounds. The Heisman winner was less than 200 pounds. We recruited just like that but couldn't get any of them on the field which I can't fathom especially with how many guys we recruited.

2018 class was celebrated for fixing the depth in the room and bringing in fast talent, 2019 "was even better than 2018", 2020 guys could barely get on the field. I have no idea what's going on but it needs to get better.
I know we haven't developed well. My perspective is it's hard to pin that on Lubick when we missed spring ball and all the other effects of covid. I'm going to wait and see what this year looks like before I drive that bus.

Not having the ability to watch practices, it is hard to judge why they have not developed. Reps under game conditions are different that practice when most wr are not going full speed. The qb hopes they will be at a particular place when he throws. Never sure if it is the wr fault for not getting there or our qb inability to get the ball there in time. If we are going to be a running team a lot changes and some wr get disinterested as they believe they are not going to get the ball. I remember talking to Johnny Rogers when he said he felt he would get the ball each time so he went 100%. Not todays athletes.

Under which coach?
I saw Betts do some things,mix in older new guys better. Fleming looked good until he left.
Browns looked ok.
I cant say the same for our other coach
Under both Walters and Lubick. Walters was lucky to inherit Morgan for one year and Spielman for two years. In fairness to Lubick, missing Spring practice did not help.

As simply one comparison, look at what Purdue did with both Moore and Bell as true Freshman. Were they both substantially better prospects coming out of high school than Robinson, Betts, Houston, Nance, and Chase?

Walters was a disaster in development, recruiting and relating to the players once they got here. He was so bad at it that Frost, who has a clear affinity toward staff consistently, had to let him go.

The jury is completely out regarding development with Lubick. Time will tell. I thought they did a good job recruiting the group they got with the selling points they had after 3 losing seasons. Very commendable.

Now let's watch and see how they do.

Two of my favorite subjects, metrics and player development. The first one seems to be an obsession with this staff and the second I am thinking they cannot even use in a sentence.GBR

How much practice time is spent #1s v #1s, or at least 1s v 2s? Thinking that a bit of steel sharpening steel might be good.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back