• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

WR Shawn Hardy is 'N'

It seems like a good haul at receiver and should complement Betts, Brown and Nixon (and maybe Manning). We definitely have targeted more size. If feels like a bit of a philosophical transition from UCFast to BIG Ten football. I like that we seem to now be intent on being physical.

It appears we finally got the right Hightower player at receiver this time
Again, great write up

Last edited:
It seems like a good haul at receiver and should complement Betts, Brown and Nixon (and maybe Manning). We definitely have targeted more size. If feels like a bit of a philosophical transition from UCFast to BIG Ten football. I like that we seem to now be intent on being physical.
After two years of subpar WR play, I am one who suspects that there is a problem with development at this position. I hope 2021 is a lot better for this group and I think it can be, but one more year that looks like the last two will turn my suspicion into a firm conclusion.

It's hard to understand how we have gotten so little out of every receiver that Frost has recruited other than Robinson, who promptly left the team after two years. Houston, Nance, and Chase (no longer with the team) from the 2019 class have barely seen the field in two years. From the 2020 class, Fleming left after a few games, Brown caught a few garbage-time passes, Betts caught something like 12 passes, and Nixon was injured. The seven players I listed have combined for one touchdown catch in their careers so far, and these were all 4* or high 3* recruits coming out of high school / prep school.

After two years of subpar WR play, I am one who suspects that there is a problem with development at this position. I hope 2021 is a lot better for this group and I think it can be, but one more year that looks like the last two will turn my suspicion into a firm conclusion.

It's hard to understand how we have gotten so little out of every receiver that Frost has recruited other than Robinson, who promptly left the team after two years. Houston, Nance, and Chase (no longer with the team) from the 2019 class have barely seen the field in two years. From the 2020 class, Fleming left after a few games, Brown caught a few garbage-time passes, Betts caught something like 12 passes, and Nixon was injured. The seven players I listed have combined for one touchdown catch in their careers so far, and these were all 4* or high 3* recruits coming out of high school / prep school.
Under which coach?
I saw Betts do some things,mix in older new guys better. Fleming looked good until he left.
Browns looked ok.
I cant say the same for our other coach

Under which coach?
I saw Betts do some things,mix in older new guys better. Fleming looked good until he left.
Browns looked ok.
I cant say the same for our other coach

I think Stanley Morgan and JD Spielman are pretty decent examples of developing WRs by the last staff. They struggled to build that room and had recruiting misses too, don't get me wrong, but Keith Williams (for all his personal faults) is an elite coach.

I don't think Walter's did well with development. I don't think we have any real data on Lubick with no spring ball and the overall weird situation. I thought the general thought on Betts was he would need a redshirt year. Not that he lit the world on fire, but we saw flashes. I think you have to give Lubick some credit for that. This fall will tell us more.

I forgot Martin in my first post. I think he'll be a weapon, too. I'll be disappointed if the receiving room isn't much, much better this fall, even without Wan'Dale.

Last edited:
I think Stanley Morgan and JD Spielman are pretty decent examples of developing WRs by the last staff. They struggled to build that room and had recruiting misses too, don't get me wrong, but Keith Williams (for all his personal faults) is an elite coach.
Nebraska has actually had good receiving coaches. I don’t think Walters was a bad coach. I’m not sure on Lubick yet. I want to see a full season with spring ball. This year is huge for all the offense coaches.

I don't think Walter's did well with development. I don't think w have any data on Lubick with no spring ball and the overall weird situation. I thought the general thought on Betts was he would need a redshirt year. Not that he lit the world on fire, but w saw flashes. I think this gal will tell us more.

I forgot Martin in my first post. I think he'll be a weapon, too. I'll be disappointed if the receiving room isn't much, much better this fall, even without Wan'Dale.
I’m not sure if Walters struggled with development or more of a retention issue. We finally have a good group of prospects. Hopefully a few emerge.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back