• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

WR Billy Kemp transfer from Virginia is N

WR Billy Kemp – Nebraska (Virginia)​

The skinny: Kemp finished his time at Virginia with 192 receptions for 1,774 yards and eight touchdowns. While the 2022 season was a bit disappointing for him, which was also true for most of the Virginia offense, he shined in 2020 and 2021 when he totaled 141 receptions for 1,369 yards and seven touchdowns. He also returned 64 punts while with the Cavaliers.

The Huskers realized that they needed to find some receiving talent in the portal and answered the call by adding Kemp. His experience and prior production at the Power 5 level will make him an immediate contributor in Lincoln. Plus he brings the extra impact of being the top punt returner this fall.

The skinny: Kemp finished his time at Virginia with 192 receptions for 1,774 yards and eight touchdowns. While the 2022 season was a bit disappointing for him, which was also true for most of the Virginia offense, he shined in 2020 and 2021 when he totaled 141 receptions for 1,369 yards and seven touchdowns. He also returned 64 punts while with the Cavaliers.

The Huskers realized that they needed to find some receiving talent in the portal and answered the call by adding Kemp. His experience and prior production at the Power 5 level will make him an immediate contributor in Lincoln. Plus he brings the extra impact of being the top punt returner this fall.

I've heard a few folks talking about him not having elite speed or size, but the kid is a player. Looks like a guy who's going to get open, make plays, move the chains and be a reliable part of the offense. Definitely a nice piece of the puzzle.

reminds me of a player type like welker/amendola/edelmen, just need to be consistent and reliable short yardage move the chains guy. never thought of W/A/E as guys that are gonna go deep and stretch the defense. if he works, it helps the offense gain confidence early next season to take more chances. pair him with a deep threat guy and you open the offense to a lot of things. assuming we can block this upcoming season......

I just watched Virginia's game last year against Pitt. Admittedly, Kemp struggled with injuries last year, but he was good to go in that game. So I got a sense of his abilities. My impression was that he is a competent receiver but not a standout. He has good hands and runs good routes but does not possess extreme athleticism.

Consequently, I think that people expecting him to replace Trey Palmer (or at least come close) are going to be disappointed. I don't think we have a game changing receiver this year. Washington is probably going to be the closest thing to that. Perhaps Betts (who has exceptional talent) can surprise to the upside. But to use a running back analogy, I think we are going to have a receiving corps by committee. Several decent receivers but no one who really strikes fear in opponents.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back