• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Wow, guess I was dead wrong on the Texas recruiting drop-off theory...

Status
Not open for further replies.

WestTexasHusker

All Legend
10 Year Member
That is...I figured our recruiting in the Lone Star State would fall off dramatically with a move to the Rust Belt Conference. NOT SO, SO FAR!!

I'm glad I was wrong, and I hope that I continue to be!

That is...I figured our recruiting in the Lone Star State would fall off dramatically with a move to the Rust Belt Conference. NOT SO, SO FAR!!

I'm glad I was wrong, and I hope that I continue to be!

On just that one issue or about everything?:lol:

It still might...not this year or maybe the next couple, but when NU stops coming to Texas as much as we have been doing we could see a drop off in a few years Hope not

Winning attracts people. Yes, I believe we may lose out on a few recruits in coming years because of the move; however, we'll still pluck talent from the state. Again, winning makes most kids entertain the idea of going somewhere, and how they connect to the coaches and culture of the school and city factor in as well.

a part of me wishes/hopes the Big 10 brings in a Tejas program - A&M, TCU - somebody - just so we can keep a foot print in the state and I can make an extra game! :)

I also like the fact that we aren't just recruiting Texas to get players from there to say we have a presence (*cough*Missouri*cough*), but we are plucking the TOP talent out of there. Green, Turner, Jackson, Mitchell, Santos, they are all great players that if they were committed to Texas, the Longhorns would not be upset about it. Other teams go down there because they know there is talent, but come up with what's left over after OU, UT, and now NU have cleaned up shop.

On the other hand, I don't think this battle is over. There is a big difference between playing 2 or 3 games a year in or around Texas to having none starting in 2011. I think that will play a small part in decisions and we may lose a guy a year to that whom we really want. The Big10 network while good on TV, is different than seeing your kid play live. Things like this can be helped with a good non-conference schedule. I think we all can agree that if we scheudle a SMU or a Houston or any of those schools down there outside of our Big10 schedule, that would be a good move to help our "presence" down there.

It still might...not this year or maybe the next couple, but when NU stops coming to Texas as much as we have been doing we could see a drop off in a few years Hope not

Exactly right. The real test will be 2-3 seasons down the line.

a part of me wishes/hopes the Big 10 brings in a Tejas program - A&M, TCU - somebody - just so we can keep a foot print in the state and I can make an extra game! :)

I would love to see that. I'll miss going to games in Waco (28 miles away), Austin (60 miles away), and College Station (90 Miles away) :)

Just WIN. If we do that we keep a presence with them. Even 2 or 3 years down the line. I doubt we will stop recruiting down there just because we switched conferences. Our staff will still make the frequent trips they have been making and as long as we are winning they will still have a strong pull on the recruits we go after. How often do we in the state (or around) California. Or maybe California. But we have been gaining recruits from both places due to the program we are running and what we represent.

HS kids coming out of winning programs want to go to winning programs in college. There's a reason why 5* athletes aren't beating down the door of schools like WKU (no disrespect to the school).

If you win and treat kids with respect regardless if they are walk-on's or big time recruits and create a family atmosphere the kind of kids we want will come to Nebraska and compete.....our hsitory and traditon helps, but the staff is who sells the program and who kids build relationships with and trust and our staff has shown they have integrity and have shown they are A+ coaches to boot....

That is why kids come to Nebraska....its why I chose the school I did....as I am sure many of you did.....

Just WIN. If we do that we keep a presence with them. Even 2 or 3 years down the line. I doubt we will stop recruiting down there just because we switched conferences. Our staff will still make the frequent trips they have been making and as long as we are winning they will still have a strong pull on the recruits we go after. How often do we in the state (or around) California. Or maybe California. But we have been gaining recruits from both places due to the program we are running and what we represent.

HS kids coming out of winning programs want to go to winning programs in college. There's a reason why 5* athletes aren't beating down the door of schools like WKU (no disrespect to the school).

of course. but no program always "just wins". we will have our Callahan years every now and then unfortunately. I'm concerned with what happens then. In other words, do we still keep the pipelines open? It's a heck of a lot easier when you have at least a marginal presence in the state.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back