• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Worst NU Loss (or Win?) to Shady Officiating

DuckTownHusker

Blackshirt Sith Lord
10 Year Member
There's a poll on the front page about the worst NU loss to officials making terrible calls. The two games listed are 1982 Penn State and 1993 Florida State (94 Orange Bowl). Both are pretty gregarious examples, but there are definitely more out there.

For me, it's 2011 Texas A&M. Yes, the game where would-be TSA Agent and TAMU lineman Tony Jerod-Eddie sexually assaulted Ben Cotton. That game was a chippy 6-9, all field goal affair and was tied 3-3 until the fourth quarter. An absolute offensive yawner or a 2-way defensive beatdown depending on your perspective. What gets me though, is that Nebraska was penalized 16 times for 145 yards, including a penalty on Ben Cotton for kicking Jerod-Eddie after he grabbed Cotton's nutsack on national television. TAMU walked away with no call on that play and notched only 2 penalties for 10 yards. Those slugfest kind of games generally tend to see charity yards racked up on both sides, but I swear that the Big XII refs were giving us a goodbye present. There were a lot of bad calls in our swan song season, but this was an entire game full of them. When things are getting salty in the trenches, you usually see both teams racking up the personal fouls, false starts and offsides calls pretty evenly.

Remember that Ben Cotton got docked twice for personal fouls. On the same play. After getting fondled. Apparently, the Big XII refs decided to give NU a 30 yard punishment for the audacity of letting one of our players be assaulted. And Eric Martin got docked twice for Personal Fouls, as did DJ Jones. That's 75 yards off fairly discretionary calls. Nobody was throwing punches.

And lest anyone say A&M simply outplayed us, just look at the stat line. Almost every single category was practically tied, from first downs to total offense to time of possession. The only difference was that A&M picked off two INTs (we had zero) but neither INT was returned for any yardage. One of the INTs was caught on the A&M 10 yard line (robbing NU in the redzone) and resulted in an eventual FG for A&M. That drive was probably the game determiner, since it took a practically guaranteed 3pts off Nebraska's total and gave A&M a field goal of their own. That series was "helped" along by two questionable pass interference calls that came late in third quarter and gave the Aggies a freebie boost of 30 yards. It's worth noting that the entire rest of the game saw zero PI calls against immaculate DBs like Amukamara and Dennard.

No, the stakes of this game weren't anywhere as high as 1982 Penn State or 1993 FSU, but I've never seen a bigger smear job - in ANY game, not just NU games - than the refs did that night in College Station.

There's a poll on the front page about the worst NU loss to officials making terrible calls. The two games listed are 1982 Penn State and 1993 Florida State (94 Orange Bowl). Both are pretty gregarious examples, but there are definitely more out there.

For me, it's 2011 Texas A&M. Yes, the game where would-be TSA Agent and TAMU lineman Tony Jerod-Eddie sexually assaulted Ben Cotton. That game was a chippy 6-9, all field goal affair and was tied 3-3 until the fourth quarter. An absolute offensive yawner or a 2-way defensive beatdown depending on your perspective. What gets me though, is that Nebraska was penalized 16 times for 145 yards, including a penalty on Ben Cotton for kicking Jerod-Eddie after he grabbed Cotton's nutsack on national television. TAMU walked away with no call on that play and notched only 2 penalties for 10 yards. Those slugfest kind of games generally tend to see charity yards racked up on both sides, but I swear that the Big XII refs were giving us a goodbye present. There were a lot of bad calls in our swan song season, but this was an entire game full of them. When things are getting salty in the trenches, you usually see both teams racking up the personal fouls, false starts and offsides calls pretty evenly.

Remember that Ben Cotton got docked twice for personal fouls. On the same play. After getting fondled. Apparently, the Big XII refs decided to give NU a 30 yard punishment for the audacity of letting one of our players be assaulted. And Eric Martin got docked twice for Personal Fouls, as did DJ Jones. That's 75 yards off fairly discretionary calls. Nobody was throwing punches.

And lest anyone say A&M simply outplayed us, just look at the stat line. Almost every single category was practically tied, from first downs to total offense to time of possession. The only difference was that A&M picked off two INTs (we had zero) but neither INT was returned for any yardage. One of the INTs was caught on the A&M 10 yard line (robbing NU in the redzone) and resulted in an eventual FG for A&M. That drive was probably the game determiner, since it took a practically guaranteed 3pts off Nebraska's total and gave A&M a field goal of their own. That series was "helped" along by two questionable pass interference calls that came late in third quarter and gave the Aggies a freebie boost of 30 yards. It's worth noting that the entire rest of the game saw zero PI calls against immaculate DBs like Amukamara and Dennard.

No, the stakes of this game weren't anywhere as high as 1982 Penn State or 1993 FSU, but I've never seen a bigger smear job - in ANY game, not just NU games - than the refs did that night in College Station.
I'd have to agree with that game, one of the first that came up when I saw the title to the thread, (along with the 82 PSU hosejob). Yup, the spittle was flying in all its glory that night. I remember Bo going after one ref. and the guy was just smirking.

Have to throw in 98 KSU game.
1998-game-11-photo.jpg

'94 orange bowl phantom block in the back on the return for TD. Someone wanted Bobby Bowden to get that National Title. So close to still pulling it off...

FSU also clearly fumbled near our goal line and we recovered. The running back tried to dive over the pile at the line of scrimmage and fumbled in mid air, clear as day. Refs said the ground caused it, or something. Don't remember if the refs awarded a touchdown on the play, or, if they scored on the next play or two. Another seven points they never should have had.

That game was crazy.

There's only two games in all Nebraska sports in my lifetime that I blame the refs for critical calls that significantly impacted the outcome against the Cornhuskers.

And both are in that poll. 1982 Penn State. 1994 Florida State.

That's really it.

There have also been games where the calls went our way and impacted the outcome. But I don't recall those as well as the two games that left painful emotional scars.

Otherwise, I think the refs mostly do a fine job given the resources -- and fans that whine about officiating every game are weak sauce.

The Michigan State game were Reilly was pushed/ran out of bounds was pretty hotly contested. I think we may have gotten away with a win there. But the rest of the game was fairly well officiated, plus Armstrong connect with Westerkamp on two straight bombs of like 40 yards, so MSU had plenty of opportunity to end the game before that questionable call. Hard to list this one as a complete fix by the refs - just a single play.

Last edited:

FSU also clearly fumbled near our goal line and we recovered. The running back tried to dive over the pile at the line of scrimmage and fumbled in mid air, clear as day. Refs said the ground caused it, or something. Don't remember if the refs awarded a touchdown on the play, or, if they scored on the next play or two. Another seven points they never should have had.

That game was crazy.
They awarded William Floyd a touchdown on that one. Instant replay came a few years too late.

There's only two games in all Nebraska sports in my lifetime that I blame the refs for critical calls that significantly impacted the outcome against the Cornhuskers.

And both are in that poll. 1982 Penn State. 1994 Florida State.

That's really it.

There have also been games where the calls went our way and impacted the outcome. But I don't recall those as well as the two games that left painful emotional scars.

Otherwise, I think the refs mostly do a fine job given the resources -- and fans that whine about officiating every game are weak sauce.
Aha! I call ‘gregarious’ sauce on you.

You mentioned all three games that came to mind immediately... '82 Penn State, '93 FSU ('94 Orange Bowl), and '11 Texas A&M.

Penn St. was primarily one attrocious call. FSU was more like four or five bad calls or no calls that went against us. The A&M game was straight out crooked from start to finish; an absolute embarrassment to the officiating profession.

The 1982 game vs the Peds is egregious. Probably cost us a Natty.

But the F$U one hurts more. The phantom block in the back call on Corey Dixon's punt return. William Floyd fumbling in mid air. The ticky tack late hit call on F$U "game winning" drive.

:01 has it's own special place in egregiousness too.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back