• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Worst G5 losses in CFP era

FYI.

Big Game Boomer is John Whitaker. He was a student at OU, hence the name. Started his Twitter and making college football lists in November 2020. He's a college football fan. That's it. No more qualified to make lists than anyone here. Just proof that literally anyone can become a virtual star, online "expert" or social media influencer these days.

If he becomes a poster here, I'll debate him. Otherwise, I can't react to a dude whose qualifications are that he can make lists and post them online. :) Saying hello to Sir Yacht.
Feel free to post your lists ... we can discuss that!

exactly, that was a HUGE loss for them.. Kind of shows the bias in this one!
As noted by a few others, App State was FCS at that point in time, not Group of 5. That also occurred during the BCS era, not the CFP era. Both of which were qualifiers listed in the Title of the Chart.

Just to show how rotten this list is...

#31, Nevada over Oregon State.

Oregon State was 2-10 in 2018 (coming off a 1-11 season).

Nevada was 8-5 and won their bowl game.

The game was in Reno, NV. Nevada was a 3.5-point favorite and won by 2 (didn't cover).

Please explain how a horrible team with no real winning tradition losing to an above average team on the road is one of the worst losses in the CFP era?

The dude just throws things on a list with little to no research.

Last edited:
As noted by a few others, App State was FCS at that point in time, not Group of 5. That also occurred during the BCS era, not the CFP era. Both of which were qualifiers listed in the Title of the Chart.
Ok, that doesn’t change the fact that it was a huge upset! They sure viewed it as a huge upset.

But yeah, it wasn’t G5

Last edited:

Appalachian State was FCS, not G5, when they became the first FCS team to beat a ranked FBS school in 2007. Worst P5 losses to FCS teams would be a different list.
You’re right, but they were one of the best FCS teams often back then, arguably better than any of the 3 NU lost to, except for maybe the Troy team.

Just to show how rotten this list is...

#31, Nevada over Oregon State.

Oregon State was 2-10 in 2018 (coming off a 1-11 season).

Nevada was 8-5 and won their bowl game.

The game was in Reno, NV. Nevada was a 3.5-point favorite and won by 2 (didn't cover).

Please explain how a horrible team with no real winning tradition losing to an above average team on the road is one of the worst losses in the CFP era?

The dude just throws things on a list with little to no research.
Agree. I am not going to do it, but if you counted all the G5 wins over P5 schools in the CFP era (2014 - now, 8 seasons since P5 didn’t play G5 the Covid season), there [EDIT: are less than 150] such G5 wins. So a 5-3 Arkansas losing to a 17th ranked Liberty can be #40 on the list.

Last edited:
Agree. I am not going to do it, but if you counted all the G5 wins over P5 schools in the CFP era (2014 - now, 8 seasons since P5 didn’t play G5 the Covid season), there [EDIT: are less than 150] such G5 wins. So a 5-3 Arkansas losing to a 17th ranked Liberty can be #40 on the list.

I suppose like everything on social media, the primary objective is to create attention and generate discussion. Things like accuracy and factual information mean less.

I tend to think if I Tweeted back at Big Game Boomer, he wouldn't be able to debate well his reasoning for some of his selections on his list. Yet he's meeting his objective -- getting views and reactions.

There are bad P5 teams and good G5 teams every year. Commonly a good G5 team will beat at bad P5 team. Is that really a "bad" win for the worse P5 team? I don't think so -- especially for those P5 teams that have little to no winning tradition.

Ok, that doesn’t change the fact that it was a huge upset! They sure viewed it as a huge upset.

But yeah, it wasn’t G5
It is probably one of the biggest upsets in college football history. Michigan was ranked #5 and lost to an FCS team, albeit a great one.

But, it doesn't change that wasn't what was being ranked.

I suppose like everything on social media, the primary objective is to create attention and generate discussion. Things like accuracy and factual information mean less.

I tend to think if I Tweeted back at Big Game Boomer, he wouldn't be able to debate well his reasoning for some of his selections on his list. Yet he's meeting his objective -- getting views and reactions.

There are bad P5 teams and good G5 teams every year. Commonly a good G5 team will beat at bad P5 team. Is that really a "bad" win for the worse P5 team? I don't think so -- especially for those P5 teams that have little to no winning tradition.
It is low hanging fruit on a platform that is monetized based on interactions and views. Create a list that people won't agree on, it gets shared on forums like this, people get mad and tweet back, other people tweet at other people arguing -> $$$.

Lists and rankings are fun. I don't mind someone creating something like this. I'm also not going to get remotely worked up if I don't agree with the person, because they are no more qualified than I am to decide on the list.

It is low hanging fruit on a platform that is monetized based on interactions and views. Create a list that people won't agree on, it gets shared on forums like this, people get mad and tweet back, other people tweet at other people arguing -> $$$.

Lists and rankings are fun. I don't mind someone creating something like this. I'm also not going to get remotely worked up if I don't agree with the person, because they are no more qualified than I am to decide on the list.

Yeah, you're right on all points.

Heck, big game boomer has me talking. Mission accomplished. :)

EDIT: I think he probably could have stopped at about 20 games that were truly worthy. But the longer the list, the more fan bases will react.

Last edited:

FYI.

Big Game Boomer is John Whitaker. He was a student at OU, hence the name. Started his Twitter and making college football lists in November 2020. He's a college football fan. That's it. No more qualified to make lists than anyone here. Just proof that literally anyone can become a virtual star, online "expert" or social media influencer these days.

If he becomes a poster here, I'll debate him. Otherwise, I can't react to a dude whose qualifications are that he can make lists and post them online. :) Saying hello to Sir Yacht.
That explains the Central Michigan upset of Oklahoma St. at #2.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back