• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

WORLD SERIES

Merle

All Legend
15 Year Member
Well, here it is. As a Cardinal fan of 65 years, I must say this has been one of the calmest years for Cards baseball. Nothing went on until the final couple of weeks of the regular season. With Wainwright out, not much hope, and the lackluster performance early was disheartening. Pujols on the injury list, and not performing when not, everything was bleak. Then came the last month, Atlanta collapsed, and the Phillies, God bless them, went to Atlanta to close the regular season and swept Atlanta, and the Cards squeaked in. Reminiscent of that season when the Phillies collapsed in the final 10 days allowing the Cards to squeak in.

Anyway, only true baseball fans understand the exhilaration one feels when your team makes it to the World Series. It is not a sin, nor anything to be ashamed of, if you don't win the World Series, just being there is a great accomplishment.

All that said, I have no doubt but that my Cards will wipe the slate clean, and keep the upstart Rangers in the non championship mode that they have endured during their entire existence.

I have the Cardinals, in five or maybe six.

Well, here it is. As a Cardinal fan of 65 years, I must say this has been one of the calmest years for Cards baseball. Nothing went on until the final couple of weeks of the regular season. With Wainwright out, not much hope, and the lackluster performance early was disheartening. Pujols on the injury list, and not performing when not, everything was bleak. Then came the last month, Atlanta collapsed, and the Phillies, God bless them, went to Atlanta to close the regular season and swept Atlanta, and the Cards squeaked in. Reminiscent of that season when the Phillies collapsed in the final 10 days allowing the Cards to squeak in.

Anyway, only true baseball fans understand the exhilaration one feels when your team makes it to the World Series. It is not a sin, nor anything to be ashamed of, if you don't win the World Series, just being there is a great accomplishment.

All that said, I have no doubt but that my Cards will wipe the slate clean, and keep the upstart Rangers in the non championship mode that they have endured during their entire existence.

I have the Cardinals, in five or maybe six.

Well said. It is very exciting here in St. Louis. I was downtown this morning and the activity is something to behold. Everybody is wearing red, signs and banners are everywhere, and people are everywhere. The area around the stadium is jammed with broadcast equipment, cameras, interviews are going on, vendors are hawking everything from peanuts to t-shirts and of course, the scalpers. I've been a Cardinals fan since 1963 when I saw Bob Gibson on our little black and white tv throwing heat. The Cardinals have been on an amazing run.

Texas is too deep with pitching and has better bats. Too many dudes throwing 100+. Rangers in 6. That said, maybe the Cards are a team of destiny and will find a way to win.....or more aptly for them this season, Texas finds a way to lose.

I'm rooting with you Merle. Loving the game tonight. Cards are up 8-3 in the top of the fifth. Go Cardinals.
I watched the second game in Emeril Lagasse's Stadium at the Venetian in Las Vegas Thursday night. There are an incredible number of Cardinal fans out there.

Last edited:

Cards win 16 - 7 and El Hombre makes World Series history and is right up there with Reggie Jackson and Babe Ruth. Three home runs in one World Series.

bestpals.jpg

wow

http://deadspin.com/5851837/the-man...looking-smart-and-rich-right-now?tag=gambling

[h=1]The Man Who Bet The Cardinals At 999/1 When They Were Out Of The Race Is Looking Smart And Rich Right Now[/h] Vegas loves long shots. When statistics and history scream against the possibility of a miracle, Vegas can always count on the dreamers and the fools to put down cash in the hope of a once-in-a-lifetime payout. It's free money for the house, 999 times out of 1,000.
Not 1,000 times out of 1,000 though. That's why there are dreamers and fools.
At 8:16 PDT on September 12th, the Cardinals had lost 6-5 in Pittsburgh, and the Braves were in the 12th inning of their game against Florida—a game they would lose, but hadn't yet at the moment a man walked up to a sports book teller at the MGM Grand. St. Louis was five games back of the wild card with 15 games yet to play, and at least one oddsmaker decided the Cardinals' chances of winning a World Series were a thousand to one against.
One unidentified St. Louisan put down $250 on the Cardinals making the World Series at 500/1, and another $250 on them winning the whole thing at 999/1. An unlikely late September run, an unlikelier Braves collapse, upsets of the hyped Phillies and Brewers, and he's $125,000 richer. If the Cards can win three games before they lose four, he'll pocket another $250,000.

http://deadspin.com/5853994/76+year...to-see-a-rangers-championship-died-last-night

[h=1][/h] Heneri Ann Short of Red Oak, Texas, was a baseball fan her whole life: her father used to plop her on the mound as a baby when he pitched for his rural league team. She was a Rangers fan for as long as they existed. She battled bone and lung cancer for the last three months, finally deciding to stop the chemotherapy treatments. But she had one wish left.
"I only want to live long enough to see the Rangers win the World Series," she told her doctor last week. She passed away last night, with the Rangers a game away from the championship.

http://deadspin.com/5853994/76+year...to-see-a-rangers-championship-died-last-night

Heneri Ann Short of Red Oak, Texas, was a baseball fan her whole life: her father used to plop her on the mound as a baby when he pitched for his rural league team. She was a Rangers fan for as long as they existed. She battled bone and lung cancer for the last three months, finally deciding to stop the chemotherapy treatments. But she had one wish left.
"I only want to live long enough to see the Rangers win the World Series," she told her doctor last week. She passed away last night, with the Rangers a game away from the championship.

That's a very sad story, mjw11. If it had not rained, and the Rangers would have won the game last nite, this child would have been in Heaven before she reached Heaven. May the Good Lord bless her.

Quite a story, mjw11. Thanks :)

2 years in a row for 1st year winners...love it when there is new blood in the winners circle

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back