• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Woo Pig Sooie

Actually these two coaches going down in less than two years is not stupid as they were two of the more ridiculous hires in NCAA history.

Chad Morris HC record : 14-40 (12-22 at SMU prior to Arkansas)
Wille Taggert HC record: 56-61 (16-20 WKY, 24-25 South Florida, 7-5 Oregon)

For two Power 5 program with storied histories, I cant imagine what they were thinking when they hired these two losers to run their programs :). Oh wait, shades of Mike Riley, yes I can! It took us three years to cut our losses and run.
Taggart was fantastic at South Florida but I suspect a lot of that success that landed him the Oregon job was on the shoulders of Quinton Flowers and Marlon Mack.

Look, I realize that if you're getting paid a couple mil per year to coach football, you'd better be ready to deal with all of the consequences that come with it.
That said, to blow out Morris...who turned around SMU and have you seen what they're doing now with his recruits?...after 21 games is ridiculous. Fat Ass Bielema had a bloated, fat roster that resembled himself. Morris tries to turn the whole thing over and remake it into the exact style of system that the Arky AD et al knew they were getting and they still fire him before he can even get started.
I've never liked Arkansas football so I have no problem with them totally sucking for at least 3-5 years going forward. They earned it.

Fantastic not necessarily, but look at the improvement, that is coaching.
I honestly think that is too short of term as a head coach to say what is that particular persons DNA, when it comes to being a coach. It takes 7-10 years really, I think, to really label a coach. Especially when you consider whatever problems coach may inherit. Whether he is a great one, an average one, or a poor one. Taggart had some success off of a few players. Taggart was still in the feeling stage when Oregon came calling, but as of now, I’d prolly rate him slightly above poor. Frost is still in the range of figuring out what kind of coach he is. Hasn’t been long enough yet. Not enough DNA collected to determine one way or the other.

I will say this though, if you can’t land one of the top dogs and you have to aim a bit lower, give me the young guy 100 times out of 100 over the veteran, career .500 coach. At least you have the possibility of huge upside.

I honestly think that is too short of term as a head coach to say what is that particular persons DNA, when it comes to being a coach. It takes 7-10 years really, I think, to really label a coach. Especially when you consider whatever problems coach may inherit. Whether he is a great one, an average one, or a poor one. Taggart had some success off of a few players. Taggart was still in the feeling stage when Oregon came calling, but as of now, I’d prolly rate him slightly above poor. Frost is still in the range of figuring out what kind of coach he is. Hasn’t been long enough yet. Not enough DNA collected to determine one way or the other.

I will say this though, if you can’t land one of the top dogs and you have to aim a bit lower, give me the young guy 100 times out of 100 over the veteran, career .500 coach. At least you have the possibility of huge upside.

It's tough to have a search committee find the right young guys, but the right interview can find those young coaches. I remember Gruden talking about his interview with Al Davis a long time ago. I think it was an entire weekend in a room with him and a white board talking about offensive and defensive sets, strategy, plays, personnel.. everything a coach could think of.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back