• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked With the Big 16, do we have any non-conference games any more?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WestTexasHusker

All Legend
10 Year Member
Seems like we won't have any more slots for teams like Southern Mrs. and Arkie Light.

And I kind of enjoy those occasional junkits to places like LA.

Are we all done with non-conference games after the Big 16 gets put in place? How boring that we would play all of our games in the rust belt.

We shouldn't. WHen it's 16, play two 8 team divisions. 7 games in your division, 5 in the other. Take only the division games to name the division champ. Then you have equal access to the champ game. You still get plenty of cream puff crap with the new teams in the league. No reason for non conf.

Seems like we won't have any more slots for teams like Southern Mrs. and Arkie Light.

Are we all done with non-conference games after the Big 16 gets put in place? How boring that we would play all of our games in the rust belt.

You are thinking Big Ten of old. There are 10 states, if I count right, in the new Big Ten. Only Three are rust belt states. We have midwest, mid atlantic and great plains too.

We shouldn't. WHen it's 16, play two 8 team divisions. 7 games in your division, 5 in the other. Take only the division games to name the division champ. Then you have equal access to the champ game. You still get plenty of cream puff crap with the new teams in the league. No reason for non conf.

Escept recruiting. We still need to visit places like California, Texas and Florida no matter what.

not many bowls in the rust belt

16 team conference is like this:

• 4 divisions of 4 teams
  • play 3 in division, 2 out of every other division for a total of 9 games
  • then mini-playoff time, top 2 teams host a CCG play in game
  • then CCG
  • then playoff/bowl

Obviously this would be another paradigm shift in the way the schedules go and would need a new NCAA rule to allow the CCG "play in" game. IMO though, it would be the best way to handle a large conference.

8 and 8. seven conference games and five non-conference games. easy peasy. We get the big 8 back but in the big 16.

I'm actually thinking that with a 16 team conference, its likely that you'd play 7 games in your division, and half (4) in the other on a rotating basis - just as we play the other division now. That would leave one game open for non-conference - like our agreement recently signed with Oklahoma for a home-home in a few years.

What it won't really leave room for is several creampuffs. Another side effect of that - those creampuffs get a major chunck of their operating revenue from playing the giants a few times each year, that'll be going away, and I have no idea what they'll replace that revenue with.

16 team conference is like this:

• 4 divisions of 4 teams
  • play 3 in division, 2 out of every other division for a total of 9 games
  • then mini-playoff time, top 2 teams host a CCG play in game
  • then CCG
  • then playoff/bowl

Obviously this would be another paradigm shift in the way the schedules go and would need a new NCAA rule to allow the CCG "play in" game. IMO though, it would be the best way to handle a large conference.

I don't see it happening - particularly your "mini-playoff game." Since that game could be a rematch relatively often, I think that's less than desirable.

I don't see it happening - particularly your "mini-playoff game." Since that game could be a rematch relatively often, I think that's less than desirable.

Yeah, don't really disagree. Just trying to leave room for a non con schedule as well as not having it take so long to make the round robin of the B1G

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back