• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked With Erickson Gone, Lawler De-Commits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw you post it, wasn't even worth responding.

Consistently over the years, there's a handful that will declare that if your name is "Cotton" you don't deserve a scholarship. Come up over and over and over again. No other recruit seems to get the same scrutiny.

Real football people that I know have a different view.

Unfortunately, with his Dad working for Nebraska he isn't going to have other schools pursue him, just like his brothers. They already know where he's going, so the critics will use that as a manufactured "we're the only school giving an offer".

Pretty petty and a highly inaccurate appraisal.

Ben Cotton, who I have said I thought was one of the better TE prospects of the class of 2008, in addition to the Nebraska offer, had offers from Wisconsin, Iowa, Iowa State, Louisville and Kansas - that I know of.

Ben Cotton, who I have said I thought was one of the better TE prospects of the class of 2008, in addition to the Nebraska offer, had offers from Wisconsin, Iowa, Iowa State, Louisville and Kansas - that I know of.

that was a much different situation. his dad's employment wasn't guaranteed. he was at iowa state and in turmoil and eventually landed at NU that year. even if Barney was safe at ISU that year, it wasn't as desired a spot as NU is for the Cottons. Jake came under the radar and undesired by most, and he's already shown he's worth a scholarship. I'll bet anything that Sam is worth a lot to NU.

Are people seriously saying that other schools aren't recruiting the Cotton's because they know he is going to go to school at Nebraska since his dad works there??? The reason he isn't getting offered by many D1 schools right now is because he is further down their list then who they have on their radar still.

Ben Cotton was a different player ini high school then Jake and Sam are. I've heard numerous Nebraska Class A coaches give the expression "looks like Tarzan plays like Jane".

Now that being said, Jake has turned in to what I have heard to be a great backup that will fight for playing time next year, and the same was said about him. I am in no way saying they don't deserve a scholarship at some point. All i'm saying, is that if Sam Cotton was the best TE left on our board when he committed, that is a scary thought.

We have nine TE currently on the roster. Two will graduate, two have redshirted. We have two Juniors and 3 Sophmores and are recruiting two more TE's. Seems we're fine. Why would we recruit another in such a small class?

Most are walk-ons. Two scholarship guys leave and Kerr has been invisible.

Are people seriously saying that other schools aren't recruiting the Cotton's because they know he is going to go to school at Nebraska since his dad works there??? The reason he isn't getting offered by many D1 schools right now is because he is further down their list then who they have on their radar still.

Ben Cotton was a different player ini high school then Jake and Sam are. I've heard numerous Nebraska Class A coaches give the expression "looks like Tarzan plays like Jane".

Now that being said, Jake has turned in to what I have heard to be a great backup that will fight for playing time next year, and the same was said about him. I am in no way saying they don't deserve a scholarship at some point. All i'm saying, is that if Sam Cotton was the best TE left on our board when he committed, that is a scary thought.

Nice points ***. I watched LSE this year. It was only one game, but Sam did not appear to have a good game. When I have seen Husker recruits in the past, it was clear they were the best on the field. Or at least you noticed them. I was with a group at the game and pointed out who he was. The general response was "this guy has a scholarship offer really?".

I am not a coach and only attempt to be one on this board :)....but could you save this scholarship for someone higher on the board? I would assume he would walk-on, and finances should not be a problem. Not trying to stir the pot, but the case has been made there are several other recruits in state who are getting the "we just don't have enough scholarships this year" routine. They seem to be on the same level as Cotton, but do not have a Dad on the staff. :confused:

IMO a few more in-state guys should have offers. Maybe relying on the walk on option a little too much in some cases?

Guys this thread is not about the Cotton family....thanks...

Last edited:
Guys this thread is not about the Cotton family....thanks...

Thanks RR. Sorry to take part in the hijacking! :eek: A big part of recruiting is projecting to the next level. And the bottom line is this staff is investing their future on who they offer and accept commitments from. Playing favorites is not an option.

Since this thread is absolutely hijacked anyway, I will say this. My coach friend took me to the Giltner v. Howells game because he's trying to get a couple Howells kids, and the commit Iowa has from Giltner is an absolute man. Way better than Kreikemeier looked in his 8man film. With the limited scholarships we have this year, and who we are still in on, makes sense that we aren't offering him unfortunately.

The reason I bring this up, is because 15 years ago (the glory days everyone compares us to) with limited recruiting sites and camps, this kid would have walked on and not been offered a scholarship except D2. Huge reason the 90s were unbelievable. Shoff, guy mentioned before, Bender, Burke Linemen, and others would be a hell of a walk on class. Just not the way it is anymore...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back