• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Wish we could get this kid as a preferred walk-on

Tom Brady is 6'4 ;)
True. I was commenting on the idea that we should not allow any short guys because you can not win with them. Would you agree that a kid throwing for 5000 yards in a state like Cali is worth a proffered walk on offer? No one has talked about giving the kid a schollie.

I think people forget that Woodhead only became a star because we missed out on him. Had he came to NU he would have been a bench player at best & never developed into what he is today. So we really missed out on nothing, IMO.
He wasn’t going to play here at all, which is unfortunate. Callahan wasn’t sitting Marlon Lucky for Danny’s Woodhead. DW couldn’t be happier with the decision he made to go to Chadron.

So do Tim Dwight, Amendola, Welker and Troy Brown ALL under 6"

I am not against small guys either....

T. Dwight was recruited by most of B10/B12
https://www.si.com/vault/1999/05/24...off-season-pursuing-his-second-love-sprinting

Amendola was a 3* at the #77 in Texas
https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2004/danny-amendola-13701

Welker, last minute signee to Tejas Tech also.

Troy Brown went to Marshall, and a D1-AA guy. Probably the closest to the Woodhead like example. (also he must have edited his own wiki page and is listed at 6'0" there, and 5'10" everywhere else.) :Lol:

D. Flutie it seems only got one D1 offer from BC. But I am willing to bet he had lots of lower division opportunities, which dude in OP doesn't have at this point.

Small quick fast slot receivers are great, which is the position everyone of your examples are from. We sign them too it is fine.

Like I said, everyone loves the walk-on and small dude success stories, and those examples like @ShortSideOption have pointed out actually prove them as exceptions. I am not sure that providing example of small slot receivers who have had success provides any proof for me that we should take chances on small QB's, or any other position really. ;)

I will add that I am finding it harder to debate on this topic as I am unable to find the main point of the debate, let alone mine as the goal posts have me seeing with double vision....

I am not against small guys either....

T. Dwight was recruited by most of B10/B12
https://www.si.com/vault/1999/05/24...off-season-pursuing-his-second-love-sprinting

Amendola was a 3* at the #77 in Texas
https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2004/danny-amendola-13701

Welker, last minute signee to Tejas Tech also.

Troy Brown went to Marshall, and a D1-AA guy. Probably the closest to the Woodhead like example. (also he must have edited his own wiki page and is listed at 6'0" there, and 5'10" everywhere else.) :Lol:

D. Flutie it seems only got one D1 offer from BC. But I am willing to bet he had lots of lower division opportunities, which dude in OP doesn't have at this point.

Small quick fast slot receivers are great, which is the position everyone of your examples are from. We sign them too it is fine.

Like I said, everyone loves the walk-on and small dude success stories, and those examples like @ShortSideOption have pointed out actually prove them as exceptions. I am not sure that providing example of small slot receivers who have had success provides any proof for me that we should take chances on small QB's, or any other position really. ;)

I will add that I am finding it harder to debate on this topic as I am unable to find the main point of the debate, let alone mine as the goal posts have me seeing with double vision....
The point you are missing. No one including the OP in this thread has said give him a scholarship. So let's be clear here. You are arguing to NOT let a short guy walk on.

So what is the appropriate height that you think we should allow people to WALK ON.

The point you are missing. No one including the OP in this thread has said give him a scholarship. So let's be clear here. You are arguing to NOT let a short guy walk on.

So what is the appropriate height that you think we should allow people to WALK ON.

That is not what the discussion stayed on from my reading, nor is my take that a short guy can't walk on. The discussion seemed to move towards that we should take flyers on likable, stat strong, small guys. I don't have a problem with this if the coaching staff thinks the person is reasonable.

Case in point, the dude in the OP can't seem to pull a D-II offer at this point, so No, I wouldn't take up the walk on slot at this point, especially with him being out of state. While big, our walk on program can't take everyone. It seems that the staff has benchmarks (ex: lineman size) to achieve if they are going to let invite someone to walk on or recruit. So be it, I'm fine with it.

I'll enjoy reading about the little dudes success story if he makes it big as a QB Azusa Pacific University or wherever he ends up.

That is not what the discussion stayed on from my reading, nor is my take that a short guy can't walk on. The discussion seemed to move towards that we should take flyers on likable, stat strong, small guys. I don't have a problem with this if the coaching staff thinks the person is reasonable.

Case in point, the dude in the OP can't seem to pull a D-II offer at this point, so No, I wouldn't take up the walk on slot at this point, especially with him being out of state. While big, our walk on program can't take everyone. It seems that the staff has benchmarks (ex: lineman size) to achieve if they are going to let invite someone to walk on or recruit. So be it, I'm fine with it.

I'll enjoy reading about the little dudes success story if he makes it big as a QB Azusa Pacific University or wherever he ends up.
OK so your second paragraph seems to contradict your first. The first you say "I the coaching staff thinks the person is reasonable." In the second you say" so No, I wouldn't take up the slot." But let's just talk about the second paragraph.

A. Why is a short instate guy better than a short out of state guy?
B. Again what is, in your opinion, the minimum acceptable height either in general or by position?
c. You do realize that there is really no such thing as a walk on "slot".

OK so your second paragraph seems to contradict your first. The first you say "I the coaching staff thinks the person is reasonable." In the second you say" so No, I wouldn't take up the slot." But let's just talk about the second paragraph.

B. Again what is, in your opinion, the minimum acceptable height either in general or by position?

Of course there are a limited number of walk on "slots". They cannot take an infinite number. The number is defined by the NCAA Title IX and the athletic budget. The combination results in a "number of walk on slots" that can be filled. The coaches then decide who gets to fill those slots just like which players get to fill the scholarship slots.

A. In state less money, more likely his dream school brings the intangibles we all love from home state walk ons. I just don't think the likelihood of walk on from California is that likely. Sure if that is what the kid wants and has the means than I don't have an issue, like the kid from Georgia that wanted to be here. Awesome, great story, I'm all for it. But coaches have to search and recruit walk on kids too and screening them from all 50 states doesn't seem reasonable.

B. I have learned on this board that lineman by definition will be of a certain height. Coaches decision, not mine. I'm stating that I am okay with that.
B1. My opinion, if choosing between seemingly equal high school players is that I am going to error on the side of the bigger guy.
B2. I don't have a rule. See B1

C. Not anyone can walk on and be on the team. Requires an invite. Coaches/Admin have a number, hence the use of the word "slot".

For the record I actually like this kids film.
Okay, now we're getting to a point of agreement. For the record, again, I am NOT saying that Nebraska should give this kid a scholarship, but I'm hoping that someone does. In all of this talk about this or that shorter player who made the NFL, you guys are missing what I'm saying, which is that there are dozens of FCS schools and probably half of the D-2 schools that do NOT have a QB who is significantly better than this, and that's stating it politely. All of this talk about NFL-caliber guys is distracting from what I took away from the article: NOBODY is offering a scholarship to this kid. That's crazy.
No one has talked about giving the kid a schollie.
Umm, I have ... but not to Nebraska.
That's the part that should be the focus.
The point you are missing. No one including the OP in this thread has said give him a scholarship.
Whoa! I said that ... but not from Nebraska.

As for this thread (including this comment) ... [sigh]
Cutest-Beating-Dead-Horse-GIF.gif

xOeJM6.gif

beating-a-dead-horse-gif-imgur-11.gif

beating-a-dead-horse.gif

giphy.webp

Not really that hard to understand. There will always be the one person someone points to like Woodhead to try and prove the point neglecting it’s the exception, and there will always be the 1,000 others that didn’t work out that are the rule.

Issue is every other year I hear about the next Woodhead we don’t want to miss out on (Mazour, Kautz, etc.), coincidentally we are still using Woodhead as the example. Which should be confirmation enough. Yet here we are.

For the record I actually like this kids film.
You’re right, it’s not hard to understand. You have an opinion that is different than mine. You’re not going to waste your time and treasure on a kid like this. I would take that chance.

And that’s as far as it goes. Your opinion isn’t necessarily any more correct than mine. And it doesn’t make any difference whether everyone agrees with you or not. It’s still just your OPINION!

Okay, now we're getting to a point of agreement. For the record, again, I am NOT saying that Nebraska should give this kid a scholarship, but I'm hoping that someone does. In all of this talk about this or that shorter player who made the NFL, you guys are missing what I'm saying, which is that there are dozens of FCS schools and probably half of the D-2 schools that do NOT have a QB who is significantly better than this, and that's stating it politely. All of this talk about NFL-caliber guys is distracting from what I took away from the article: NOBODY is offering a scholarship to this kid. That's crazy.

Umm, I have ... but not to Nebraska.

That's the part that should be the focus.

Whoa! I said that ... but not from Nebraska.

As for this thread (including this comment) ... [sigh]
Cutest-Beating-Dead-Horse-GIF.gif

xOeJM6.gif

beating-a-dead-horse-gif-imgur-11.gif

beating-a-dead-horse.gif

giphy.webp
My discussion was specifically about NE. So I stand by my statement.

You’re right, it’s not hard to understand. You have an opinion that is different than mine. You’re not going to waste your time and treasure on a kid like this. I would take that chance.

And that’s as far as it goes. Your opinion isn’t necessarily any more correct than mine. And it doesn’t make any difference whether everyone agrees with you or not. It’s still just your OPINION!
Big fan of all caps. I don’t even have an opinion on it, I’m relaying that we wouldn’t take him due to measureables. My only opinion is I like his film.

Last edited:

Big fan of all caps. I don’t even have an opinion on it, I’m relaying that we wouldn’t take him due to measureables. My only opinion is I like his film.
Oh I see! The “we” that you refer to is the NU coaching staff and that is their opinion and you are merely passing the information along to me as a mere mortal.

Sorry, that’s still an opinion. (Notice the use of bold rather than caps for emphasis )

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back