• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Wisconsin Opens As 13 Point Favorites

I see this as a really close game. If our D was better, I would say we'd have a chance, but our D makes it hard to fathom a victory.

Last edited:
I see this as a really close game. If our D was better, I would say we'd have a chance, but our D makes it hard to fathom a victory.

While our defense is most certainly subpar, I don't believe we were ever going to beat Wisconsin thanks to our defense. Even if we thought it might be adequate at one point during or before the season. The concern, to me, is how far below expectations our offense has been this season. I was counting on the offense being high-powered enough to simply outscore the Badgers. Based on what I've seen from our underachieving offense most of the season, that seems unlikely.

It's pretty sobering to know that Nebraska is ranked 66th nationally in total offense and 82nd in scoring offense. I'm not sure how I can have faith in that offense against Wisconsin's defense, which ranks #2 nationally in total defense and #7 in scoring defense.

While our defense is most certainly subpar, I don't believe we were ever going to beat Wisconsin thanks to our defense. Even if we thought it might be adequate at one point during or before the season. The concern, to me, is how far below expectations our offense has been this season. I was counting on the offense being high-powered enough to simply outscore the Badgers. Based on what I've seen from our underachieving offense most of the season, that seems unlikely.

It's pretty sobering to know that Nebraska is ranked 66th nationally in total offense and 82nd in scoring offense. I'm not sure how I can have faith in that offense against Wisconsin's defense, which ranks #2 nationally in total defense and #7 in scoring defense.
The loss of Washington certainly doesn't help (although we weren't playing that great with him either). Losing Ozigbo and Stanley Morgan has hurt us more than most imagined. Not to mention, there have been several players that have just simply not performed or climbed the depth chart. Play calling has been subpar at best. Its been a combination of a lot of things.

I have more hope for our offense to have a good game than our D. Our LB's are just not very good and Chinander refuses to put DB's on the field in passing situations. To me, that has been the hardest thing to watch the entire season.

This game will probably be ugly and not very competitive. That said, at least we won’t have to watch the defense get flummoxed by endless crossing patterns. Also, third down defense might not be an issue tomorrow either.....;)

The loss of Washington certainly doesn't help (although we weren't playing that great with him either). Losing Ozigbo and Stanley Morgan has hurt us more than most imagined. Not to mention, there have been several players that have just simply not performed or climbed the depth chart. Play calling has been subpar at best. Its been a combination of a lot of things.

I have more hope for our offense to have a good game than our D. Our LB's are just not very good and Chinander refuses to put DB's on the field in passing situations. To me, that has been the hardest thing to watch the entire season.

I guess my basic point is: I didn't expect our defense to carry us in 2019. I did expect our offense to.

I expected a top 20 offense. I expected Martinez to take a step forward from last season (yes, it's not all his fault, but he's undoubtedly regressed in every facet of his game -- both physically and mentally). Instead, we have an offense that is about the 75th best nationally, which oddly, is about where the defense ranks. I've had a much more difficult time watching an offense struggle infinitely more than I would have ever imagined under Frost. It's as poor as the 2017 season under Riley, which basically was giving up as the season progressed.

Going in to the season, any hopes of beat Wisconsin rested mostly on the shoulders of the offense. We knew that before the season started. The offense would have to carry us. Simply much more talent on offense than defense. Yes, the defense sucks, but I never expected them to be any better than mediocre. And yes, I'm also not a fan of Chinander.

Obviously if we have any chance of upsetting Wisconsin, we'll need a healthy, productive Robinson. If that doesn't happen, I have no faith in our offense putting up more than 14-21 points. It's possible that's still about what to expect, even if Robinson does play. Wisconsin has a better defense than Minnesota, who nearly shut us out. I guess the other hope is that Martinez becomes what he was last season.

I plan on wearing all my NU gear while watching the game. Normally I don't wear it as it has proved to be consistantly unlucky. I don't think that wearing it will reverse Husker fortunes in this totally backward year, but I'm hoping that it might curse the Badgers into playing a sub-par game.

Desperate times require desperate measures. GBR!

I plan on wearing all my NU gear while watching the game. Normally I don't wear it as it has proved to be consistantly unlucky. I don't think that wearing it will reverse Husker fortunes in this totally backward year, but I'm hoping that it might curse the Badgers into playing a sub-par game.

Desperate times require desperate measures. GBR!

Every article of Husker clothing I have now has a loss attached to it. I'm down to my Omaha Nighthawks T-shirt.

I guess my basic point is: I didn't expect our defense to carry us in 2019. I did expect our offense to.

I expected a top 20 offense. I expected Martinez to take a step forward from last season (yes, it's not all his fault, but he's undoubtedly regressed in every facet of his game -- both physically and mentally). Instead, we have an offense that is about the 75th best nationally, which oddly, is about where the defense ranks. I've had a much more difficult time watching an offense struggle infinitely more than I would have ever imagined under Frost. It's as poor as the 2017 season under Riley, which basically was giving up as the season progressed.

Going in to the season, any hopes of beat Wisconsin rested mostly on the shoulders of the offense. We knew that before the season started. The offense would have to carry us. Simply much more talent on offense than defense. Yes, the defense sucks, but I never expected them to be any better than mediocre. And yes, I'm also not a fan of Chinander.

Obviously if we have any chance of upsetting Wisconsin, we'll need a healthy, productive Robinson. If that doesn't happen, I have no faith in our offense putting up more than 14-21 points. It's possible that's still about what to expect, even if Robinson does play. Wisconsin has a better defense than Minnesota, who nearly shut us out. I guess the other hope is that Martinez becomes what he was last season.
It would be awesome if this season took a sudden turn for the better vs. Wisconsin. Hoping the offense bust out and the D plays the game of their lives.

And to your point, yes, the offense has been a huge disappointment this year. I too expected much better than this.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back