• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Wisconsin, Iowa, MSU, Northwestern

HuskerJ

Red Shirt
5 Year Member
While trying to make sense of some lofty expectations in Year 2 under Frost and evaluating growth, culture, schemes, talent etc...I came across the question of do we simply leapfrog all the teams that have been beating us the past decade, or do we first have to compete with them. I may not be asking the question just right, but the sentiment is pretty clear I think. I was looking at what Wisconsin has achieved recently. Two years ago they were undefeated heading to Indy. a 6 point loss to OSU prevents a chance at the playoffs. Iowa was undefeated 2015 before a 3 point defeat to MSU. Sparty has 10 plus wins 6 of the last 9 years, including one 13 win season, one 12 win season and three 11 win seasons in that span. NW has three 10 win seasons in that same time.

I could go back further and make the same illustration. Not to say how bad we've been, but how good our direct conference competition is and how far off we are from even being close to their successes.

Not only do we have to compete head to head, but have the same dominance over similar conference and non-conference schedules. All of these teams also have zero chance of winning a national championship in my opinion. And if that is our goal in the coming years, seems like we have some catching up to do that takes more than one off season.

Is the big jump in year two 7 or 8 wins and close losses with recruiting wins? Then in year 3 we finally beat Iowa.

There are many threads on expectations, what would you be happy with, etc etc. I'm just curious if we haven't gotten way ahead of ourselves in what is even possible. Not a negative approach, just trying to consider just how amazing a quick turn around would actually be in year 2.

Look at the schedules Wisconsin had in 2017 and Iowa had in 2015. Cupcake schedules both non-conference and in conference. A one-loss B1G team should almost always be in contention for an at large playoff bid. I don't think the playoff was in place in 2015 but neither team would've gotten close to a bid in those years.

UW in 2017 in addition to the West played Maryland, Indiana and Michigan (at home) along with BYU, Utah State and Florida Atlantic.
Iowa in 2015 in addition to the West played Maryland and Indiana along with Illinois State, Iowa State, Pitt and North Texas.

Our direct competition relatively speaking has played a much easier cross-over schedule the last 10 years than Nebraska. They've played a much easier non-conference schedule the last 10 years relatively speaking than Nebraska.

Nebraska has performed poorly since we've been in the B1G. But the gap between NU and UW/Iowa is not as wide as the historical results would suggest IMO.

Look at the schedules Wisconsin had in 2017 and Iowa had in 2015. Cupcake schedules both non-conference and in conference. A one-loss B1G team should almost always be in contention for an at large playoff bid. I don't think the playoff was in place in 2015 but neither team would've gotten close to a bid in those years.

UW in 2017 in addition to the West played Maryland, Indiana and Michigan (at home) along with BYU, Utah State and Florida Atlantic.
Iowa in 2015 in addition to the West played Maryland and Indiana along with Illinois State, Iowa State, Pitt and North Texas.

Our direct competition relatively speaking has played a much easier cross-over schedule the last 10 years than Nebraska. They've played a much easier non-conference schedule the last 10 years relatively speaking than Nebraska.

Nebraska has performed poorly since we've been in the B1G. But the gap between NU and UW/Iowa is not as wide as the historical results would suggest IMO.

Big Ten knows the name Nebr. draws a crowd and so they scheduled us with the big dogs on purpose. Very poor turn outs for Iowa and Wisconsin in big time games IMHO.

Sure - and there is the typical "hazing" but 10 years into the conference and NU has played Indiana once?

Well stated

I think the media is setting Husker fans up for some disappointment (not intentionally, as I understand the Frost hype train is picking up steam). I love where Scott is taking this team, but when you break down the positions, there are as many questions than answers, and that is not a recipe for winning a division title. Additionally, we are very thin at many critical positions, so when the injury bug hits, we have to pray it isnt our starters.

Realistically, a 3 win jump should be viewed as HUGE progress and not disappointing considering how low this team had sunk under Reilly. Quite frankly, I'm not expecting to win the west this year, although we should be in the running. What I am expecting is better consistency and competitiveness across the board. If we have that, we set ourselves up for very big, realistic expectations in 2020.

I'm probably in the minority feeling this way...so pound away. o_O

I think the media is setting Husker fans up for some disappointment (not intentionally, as I understand the Frost hype train is picking up steam). I love where Scott is taking this team, but when you break down the positions, there are as many questions than answers, and that is not a recipe for winning a division title. Additionally, we are very thin at many critical positions, so when the injury bug hits, we have to pray it isnt our starters.

Realistically, a 3 win jump should be viewed as HUGE progress and not disappointing considering how low this team had sunk under Reilly. Quite frankly, I'm not expecting to win the west this year, although we should be in the running. What I am expecting is better consistency and competitiveness across the board. If we have that, we set ourselves up for very big, realistic expectations in 2020.

NU was better than a 4-8 team last year … conversely they're probably not a 10-2 team this year. Winning the B1G West this year is my benchmark. 8-4 or 9-3 will probably get that done.

NU, even in the Riley years, recruited well. the problem has been they didn't develop those recruits well enough. SF et al appear to have done that.

The B1G West has a lot of parity … conceivably one could make an argument for Purdue, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Northwestern, Iowa or NU. NU has a favorable conference schedule and needs to make hay this year. Minimum baseline is winning the B1G West … a 3-win improvement is not enough to accomplish that!

I think the press is smart enough to know that HCSF was put in a no win situation last year. First year with a 4-8 team and one of the toughest schedules in the country. I think they are also looking at Us having an easier schedule where Wisky and IA have a much harder schedule. Where we have a much easier schedule. Not saying they are right or wrong. Just saying the argument is defensible.

Completely agree. NU can overtake both in one year. The ‘historical’ or ‘statistical’ advantage both built against bad to average NU teams will take time to erase.

NU was better than a 4-8 team last year … conversely they're probably not a 10-2 team this year. Winning the B1G West this year is my benchmark. 8-4 or 9-3 will probably get that done.

NU, even in the Riley years, recruited well. the problem has been they didn't develop those recruits well enough. SF et al appear to have done that.

The B1G West has a lot of parity … conceivably one could make an argument for Purdue, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Northwestern, Iowa or NU. NU has a favorable conference schedule and needs to make hay this year. Minimum baseline is winning the B1G West … a 3-win improvement is not enough to accomplish that!
Agreed on most accounts. But I did state that although I'd be happy with a 3 win improvement, I didnt say that would be enough to win the west. To the contrary.

My expectations are simply lower than this runaway hype train. Too many questions on this team right now imo

As for Reilly and his recruiting, well...it doesnt translate because most of his top guys are already gone...leaving the cupboards incredibly bare...hence the lack of depth and talent at many critical positions.

Last edited:

While trying to make sense of some lofty expectations in Year 2 under Frost and evaluating growth, culture, schemes, talent etc...I came across the question of do we simply leapfrog all the teams that have been beating us the past decade, or do we first have to compete with them. I may not be asking the question just right, but the sentiment is pretty clear I think. I was looking at what Wisconsin has achieved recently. Two years ago they were undefeated heading to Indy. a 6 point loss to OSU prevents a chance at the playoffs. Iowa was undefeated 2015 before a 3 point defeat to MSU. Sparty has 10 plus wins 6 of the last 9 years, including one 13 win season, one 12 win season and three 11 win seasons in that span. NW has three 10 win seasons in that same time.

I could go back further and make the same illustration. Not to say how bad we've been, but how good our direct conference competition is and how far off we are from even being close to their successes.

Not only do we have to compete head to head, but have the same dominance over similar conference and non-conference schedules. All of these teams also have zero chance of winning a national championship in my opinion. And if that is our goal in the coming years, seems like we have some catching up to do that takes more than one off season.

Is the big jump in year two 7 or 8 wins and close losses with recruiting wins? Then in year 3 we finally beat Iowa.

There are many threads on expectations, what would you be happy with, etc etc. I'm just curious if we haven't gotten way ahead of ourselves in what is even possible. Not a negative approach, just trying to consider just how amazing a quick turn around would actually be in year 2.

I think people forget that NU lost to IA on the road by 3 points....one stop away from potentially or likely winning the game. There is not a huge divide between NU and IA. Despite not being physically up to par, NU nearly won last year. Winning in Lincoln this year should be expected (barring injury disaster).

Agreed on most accounts. But I did state that although I'd be happy with a 3 win improvement, I didnt say that would be enough to win the west. To the contrary.

My expectations are simply lower than this runaway hype train. Too many questions on this team right now imo

As for Reilly and his recruiting, well...it doesnt translate because most of his top guys are already gone...leaving the cupboards incredibly bare...hence the lack of depth and talent at many critical positions.
What I am saying … is for me … the bare minimum is winning the B1G West … which means at a minimum winning 8 or 9 games. A 7 win season would be disappointing for me.

I agree the hype train is in runaway mode … the Tim Brando 10 win prediction makes me shudder.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back