• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Wisconsin got a good coach too

With that, Leonhard is likely landing somewhere else. There are open head coach positions that he should be competitive for. Love to see someone of his caliber come here as DC.
From whats been inferred, the Leonhart matter was supposed to be done sooner rather than later, delays dont seem to favor him.

Their old staff is hired through their bowl game plus a week or two.
If Leonhart doesnt get retained, it will be interesting if he stays as interim for the bowl.

Chryst was 19-19 at Pittsburgh over three seasons nothing stellar.

Solich was NEVER a head coach prior to being given the reigns of the, at the time, the most dominant football team in the country.
thx, but your the one that associated solich with chryst to begin with, i never understood why, but you did. i was matching folks whose records before coming to wiscy/neb, you threw solich in like he had coached at a school prior to neb, so yeah, not sure why you would throw him into the conversation but i went along with your notion.....

I must have misinterpreted what you meant. When you said he was a .500 coach pre-Wisconsin I sarcastically implied that’s why they fired him. I think you were trying to make the point that Chryst was more like Riley than he was like Solich. My bad.

I disagree with your point, however. Chryst had a similar record to Solich’s at Wisconsin, though Solich had a slightly better record. Chryst played at Wisconsin, much like Solich played at Nebraska. Chryst maintained the “Wisconsin culture” of running the ball and playing solid defense, like Solich carried on much of what Osborne had instilled. And Chryst got fired by a new AD who didn’t hire him just by slipping to a 2-3 start, like Solich was fired after the program slipped under his direction.

Other than having a .500 record before he coached at Wisconsin, I don’t really get the comparison to Riley.
no worries on the first part.

im simply comparing the coaching records of the coaches before their tenure at wisc/neb, solich was never a HC before nebraska so including him in the conversation doesnt make any sense. my comparison of chryst to riley does apply as chryst was at pitt and riley was at oregon st. riley spent more time at OSU and had only one 10 win season. hit record was historically no different then at nebraska, a few up years and equal down years. he finished there with a below 500 conf record and slightly above 500 record. he had basically the same record at nebraska, 19-19 overall, 12-14 conf. what separates chryst from riley is chryst took over a top 15 team, riley did not. once gary anderson recruited cycled thru the their eligibility (2015-2017) you started to see chryst results. some up years some down years. when you compare him after the program is fully his (recruits and all, he only had one 10win season and some ups and downs, they were not a top15 team anymore. who knows if he had not got fired, maybe he gets it going and finished 8-4 or 9-3. but from the looks of this season that wasnt gonna happen. a lot of coaches look great with recruits from another HC, its what happens after those recruits are gone that show the true nature of that HC, and based on the record at pitt and then at wisc with his own recruits, hes like riley.

i think covid year saved chryst job or he would have been fired then, he bounced back after covid for an acceptable year at wisc, then followed that up with a bad record this year and thats it, they got rid of him.

Pittsburgh Panthers (Big East Conference) (2012)
2012Pittsburgh6–73–45thL BBVA Compass
Pittsburgh Panthers (Atlantic Coast Conference) (2013–2014)
2013Pittsburgh7–63–56th (Coastal)W Little Caesars Pizza
2014Pittsburgh6–64–4T–3rd (Coastal)Armed Forces[a]
Pittsburgh:19–1910–13
Wisconsin Badgers (Big Ten Conference) (2015–2022)
2015Wisconsin10–36–2T–2nd (West)W Holiday2121
2016Wisconsin11–37–21st (West)W Cotton99
2017Wisconsin13–19–01st (West)W Orange67
2018Wisconsin8–55–4T–2nd (West)W Pinstripe
2019Wisconsin10–47–2T–1st (West)L Rose1311
2020Wisconsin4–33–33rd (West)W Duke's Mayo
2021Wisconsin9–46–3T–2nd (West)W Las Vegas
2022Wisconsin2–3

Last edited:
no worries on the first part.

im simply comparing the coaching records of the coaches before their tenure at wisc/neb, solich was never a HC before nebraska so including him in the conversation doesnt make any sense. my comparison of chryst to riley does apply as chryst was at pitt and riley was at oregon st. riley spent more time at OSU and had only one 10 win season. hit record was historically no different then at nebraska, a few up years and equal down years. he finished there with a below 500 conf record and slightly above 500 record. he had basically the same record at nebraska, 19-19 overall, 12-14 conf. what separates chryst from riley is chryst took over a top 15 team, riley did not. once gary anderson recruited cycled thru the their eligibility (2015-2017) you started to see chryst results. some up years some down years. when you compare him after the program is fully his (recruits and all, he only had one 10win season and some ups and downs, they were not a top15 team anymore. who knows if he had not got fired, maybe he gets it going and finished 8-4 or 9-3. but from the looks of this season that wasnt gonna happen. a lot of coaches look great with recruits from another HC, its what happens after those recruits are gone that show the true nature of that HC, and based on the record at pitt and then at wisc with his own recruits, hes like riley.

i think covid year saved chryst job or he would have been fired then, he bounced back after covid for an acceptable year at wisc, then followed that up with a bad record this year and thats it, they got rid of him.

Pittsburgh Panthers (Big East Conference) (2012)
2012Pittsburgh6–73–45thL BBVA Compass
Pittsburgh Panthers (Atlantic Coast Conference) (2013–2014)
2013Pittsburgh7–63–56th (Coastal)W Little Caesars Pizza
2014Pittsburgh6–64–4T–3rd (Coastal)Armed Forces[a]
Pittsburgh:19–1910–13
Wisconsin Badgers (Big Ten Conference) (2015–2022)
2015Wisconsin10–36–2T–2nd (West)W Holiday2121
2016Wisconsin11–37–21st (West)W Cotton99
2017Wisconsin13–19–01st (West)W Orange67
2018Wisconsin8–55–4T–2nd (West)W Pinstripe
2019Wisconsin10–47–2T–1st (West)L Rose1311
2020Wisconsin4–33–33rd (West)W Duke's Mayo
2021Wisconsin9–46–3T–2nd (West)W Las Vegas
2022Wisconsin2–3
Chryst’s win pct at Wisconsin was .720. Riley’s at Nebraska was .500. To me that’s not close to the same. Riley had 3 years at Nebraska and 2 of them were losing seasons. He had 14 seasons at Oregon State and 6 were losing seasons. Chryst had 7 full seasons at Wisconsin and all were winning seasons. Nothing like Riley at either Oregon State or Nebraska.

On the other hand, Solich had 6 seasons at Nebraska and had a losing record in none of them (7-7 is not a losing season). This is more like Chryst.

This is why I don’t understand why you try to equate Chryst to Riley. They just aren’t all that similar. I just don’t get it. Comparing Solich to Chryst makes sense to me, though. They had similar winning records and got fired by ADs who did not hire them, each of whom had a “vision” to “modernize” football at their school.

If you are trying to make the comparison based on Chryst and Riley’s records before Wisconsin and Nebraska, well that doesn’t make sense either. Chryst was a .500 coach at PIttsburgh and then came to Wisconsin where there are more resources and flourished becoming a .720 head coach. Riley was a respected, but basically mediocre coach at Oregon State with 6 losing seasons out of 14 who got rescued by Nebraska’s foolish AD after a 5-7 season and came to Nebraska where there are more resources and underperformed compared to his previous record. The only real similarity between Chryst and Riley is that they both got fired.

Last edited:

Chryst’s win pct at Wisconsin was .720. Riley’s at Nebraska was .500. To me that’s not close to the same. Riley had 3 years at Nebraska and 2 of them were losing seasons. He had 14 seasons at Oregon State and 6 were losing seasons. Chryst had 7 full seasons at Wisconsin and all were winning seasons. Nothing like Riley at either Oregon State or Nebraska.

On the other hand, Solich had 6 seasons at Nebraska and had a losing record in none of them (7-7 is not a losing season). This is more like Chryst.

This is why I don’t understand why you try to equate Chryst to Riley. They just aren’t all that similar. I just don’t get it. Comparing Solich to Chryst makes sense to me, though. They had similar winning records and got fired by ADs who did not hire them, each of whom had a “vision” to “modernize” football at their school.

If you are trying to make the comparison based on Chryst and Riley’s records before Wisconsin and Nebraska, well that doesn’t make sense either. Chryst was a .500 coach at PIttsburgh and then came to Wisconsin where there are more resources and flourished becoming a .720 head coach. Riley was a respected, but basically mediocre coach at Oregon State with 6 losing seasons out of 14 who got rescued by Nebraska’s foolish AD after a 5-7 season and came to Nebraska where there are more resources and underperformed compared to his previous record. The only real similarity between Chryst and Riley is that they both got fired.
ugh, this is my last response to this, i didnt bring solich into the conversation, hes irrelavant. this is a comparison of riley and chryst with their own recruits. if you cant understand that well then nice life to you.

ugh, this is my last response to this, i didnt bring solich into the conversation, hes irrelavant. this is a comparison of riley and chryst with their own recruits. if you cant understand that well then nice life to you.
When you are in discussions with other people, you don’t necessarily get to control what they bring to the discussion. You compared Chryst with Riley. I disagreed. I cited evidence to support my point of view. We’re having a discussion about it. Just because you think that Chryst is analogous to Riley does not mean that other people can’t support their arguments against you by citing Chryst’s similarity to Solich. Just because you weren’t talking about Solich does not mean that I can’t.

If you want to discuss how Chryst is similar to Riley ( I say he’s not) without talking about Solich, go back and read the last paragraph in my previous post. In it, I cite evidence to support my point of view without brining Solich into the discussion.

Last edited:
thx, but your the one that associated solich with chryst to begin with, i never understood why, but you did. i was matching folks whose records before coming to wiscy/neb, you threw solich in like he had coached at a school prior to neb, so yeah, not sure why you would throw him into the conversation but i went along with your notion.....
The comparison is:

1) NU went away from an insider to an outsider

2) NU went away from a coach (Solich) who's 3 year regular season record was good not great

3) NU went away from a coach that many including FADSP felt was never going to elevate us back to success levels TO achieved, while aspiring for conference championships/CFP and it feels like they are not going to get there with Solich

NOW ... substitute UW for NU and Chryst for Solich and you get the same thing!
The comparisons are very similar.

I truly believe UW aspires to be a football blue blood. They aspire for something more than they've achieved and I truly believe that this bold move will either elevate them or send them back to the pre-Alvarez days!

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back