• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Winter Testing Results

No it doesn't matter, everyone just remembers back to the good old days when Boyd Epley published all the top marks for each position and how everyone got faster, leaner, bigger and stronger.

Which in and itself means nothing. Curtis Cotton was an athletic testing freak every year he was at Nebraska. I don't he ever rose any higher than 2nd team at safety.

I remember that as well. It seemed like our fastest guys were always the 2nd string wingback or the 3rd string cornerback or something like that. I think it was the experience of losing all those bowl games to Miami and Florida State in the 80s and early 90s for Osborne and staff to see that they needed to figure out a way to get our fastest players on the field somehow to counter the speed of those teams.

Not to be a debbie downer however do you really need to know the results. In the grand scheme of things if they are getting results on the field, guys are bigger, faster, strong etc. Does showing how much or less they have went up or down in the testing reaults matter????
I think it would be cool to see who is improving. Do a top 3 or something at certain positions or in certain tests, that way you aren't throwing anyone under the bus, you are just highlighting.

That said, the places we need improvement is WR, RB, and QB being on the same page as them. You could talk me into OLB at one spot needing to get stronger. But OL, TE, DL, ILB, CB, and S how much stronger or bigger we get will have about zero impact on our 2021 season. We are plenty strong and big at all those spots.

I remember that as well. It seemed like our fastest guys were always the 2nd string wingback or the 3rd string cornerback or something like that. I think it was the experience of losing all those bowl games to Miami and Florida State in the 80s and early 90s for Osborne and staff to see that they needed to figure out a way to get our fastest players on the field somehow to counter the speed of those teams.
While no a Husker, I remember Bob Hayes

Not to be a debbie downer however do you really need to know the results. In the grand scheme of things if they are getting results on the field, guys are bigger, faster, strong etc. Does showing how much or less they have went up or down in the testing reaults matter????
All that stuff was posted in the newspapers back in the day. Seemed to work out well, like best in the country well. Huskers illustrated had them all the time also. Let me ask, why not post them? Not a big deal in the big scheme I suppose.

All that stuff was posted in the newspapers back in the day. Seemed to work out well, like best in the country well. Huskers illustrated had them all the time also. Let me ask, why not post them? Not a big deal in the big scheme I suppose.

Let's be honest, they can't win either way. They post results, people will criticize them for something. They don't post results, people will criticize them for something. The ONLY reason nobody was questioning Osborne or Epley and his methods is because they consistently won. That's the only reason.
Plus, I find exercise really dumb so I don't care.

Let's be honest, they can't win either way. They post results, people will criticize them for something. They don't post results, people will criticize them for something. The ONLY reason nobody was questioning Osborne or Epley and his methods is because they consistently won. That's the only reason.
Plus, I find exercise really dumb so I don't care.

All roads lead to criticism...

This day and age it will offend someone either way. I would love to see those numbers but wont loose sleep if I dont

Still waiting to see those results on the field.

C

Remember when Epley came back and got rid of all these records that kids had set because of how they tested? I believe that was in 2016 or something when he made that decision (which inevitably got reversed). It was interesting because it was running stuff as well as lifting things.

I bring that up because part of me wonders if we don't post some things publicly anymore because there is so much discrepancy between the training from then to now. Scott Frost held the QB squat max record at 475 in 1997, Phil Peetz had the TE squat record at 549 pounds in 2003, Billy Legate had the fullback squat record at 575 pounds. Our Husker Power lifters of the year would many times have a squat max of 550 pounds. Now, we have punters squatting 600 pounds in the workouts we do. Frost said we had multiple DL squatting over 800 pounds. How are we testing 10s and 40s compared to how we did back in the day? Would the public just run with the fact that we are so much stronger than we were in the 90s but not getting the same results?

I lean towards wanting to see our top performers. Even if we do like what Rhea does and he doesn't list who did what, but how many people have improved.

Remember when Epley came back and got rid of all these records that kids had set because of how they tested? I believe that was in 2016 or something when he made that decision (which inevitably got reversed). It was interesting because it was running stuff as well as lifting things.

I bring that up because part of me wonders if we don't post some things publicly anymore because there is so much discrepancy between the training from then to now. Scott Frost held the QB squat max record at 475 in 1997, Phil Peetz had the TE squat record at 549 pounds in 2003, Billy Legate had the fullback squat record at 575 pounds. Our Husker Power lifters of the year would many times have a squat max of 550 pounds. Now, we have punters squatting 600 pounds in the workouts we do. Frost said we had multiple DL squatting over 800 pounds. How are we testing 10s and 40s compared to how we did back in the day? Would the public just run with the fact that we are so much stronger than we were in the 90s but not getting the same results?

I lean towards wanting to see our top performers. Even if we do like what Rhea does and he doesn't list who did what, but how many people have improved.
We've talked about where flexibility fits into the equation, so I found this quote from Jaimes today in the OWH (I saw it here on Hmax) an indictment on what our S&C team is doing compared to how Jaimes is training for the pros. The article said that "Jaimes said he’s had to improve his flexibility."
“That’ll dissolve a lot of problems (scouts) see in my game,” Jaimes said. “If I can get that taken care of, I’ll be in pretty good shape.”

How’s he working on that?

“Doing things I don’t normally do, that we didn’t do as much here at Nebraska,” Jaimes said

We've talked about where flexibility fits into the equation, so I found this quote from Jaimes today in the OWH (I saw it here on Hmax) an indictment on what our S&C team is doing compared to how Jaimes is training for the pros. The article said that "Jaimes said he’s had to improve his flexibility."
“That’ll dissolve a lot of problems (scouts) see in my game,” Jaimes said. “If I can get that taken care of, I’ll be in pretty good shape.”

How’s he working on that?

“Doing things I don’t normally do, that we didn’t do as much here at Nebraska,” Jaimes said

So the question I now have is why. Why is NU not doing things to improve flexibility or are they doing what they think is good for flexibility but is actually not. Those questions are not directed at you by the way.

C

Which in and itself means nothing. Curtis Cotton was an athletic testing freak every year he was at Nebraska. I don't he ever rose any higher than 2nd team at safety.

Im not for sure, but I think he is a policeman in either Papillion or LaVista now, good luck outrunning that guy. Tremendous athlete.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back