• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Winning the West: Who must step up on defense in 2019?

Here's my counter to that, and keep in mind I love your glass is half full take, Luke Gifford played 806 snaps and recorded 62 tackles. Alex Davis played 253 snaps and recorded 5 tackles... on the season. I'm not so sure just putting a replacement out there gets the job done. There's plays that Gifford made that Davis couldn't, and thus made it so our safeties got a few more tackles.

Praying you are right tho.
The "W's" in 2019 will be dependent on how well the offense plays and the easier schedule. I share your skepticism of the defense next year. There is still a massive need for talent upgrades on that side of the ball.

Agree with everything however having the same defensive coordinator and the same defensive coaches will be a real advantage.The defense improved against Michigan State( not exactly an offensive machine) Minnesota and at times against Iowa. Not sure the defense really improves until some kind of pass rush returns.
I think that will be the single biggest factor. Not S&C, not someone just getting better at football, it's that our players for once have the same scheme. Think if we were returning Antonio Reed, Luke Gifford, etc. They would look scary in year 2.

Good break down ***. Thank you.

Consistent defensive schemes seems to be the best thing we have going for us. I suspect a consistent offensive scheme in practice may hasten the learning curve.

The "W's" in 2019 will be dependent on how well the offense plays and the easier schedule. I share your skepticism of the defense next year. There is still a massive need for talent upgrades on that side of the ball.
Intrigued why you think it's dependent on how the offense plays? For me, it's all about the defense because we will have a top25 offense, but i'd be curious your view.

Last edited:
Intrigued why you think it's dependent on how the offense plays? For me, it's all about the defense because we will have a top25 offense, but i'd be curious your view.

I understand a bit what he's saying in that the defense has a long way to go and that the offense, especially in the early parts of the season, will likely need to carry the team even more than it did last year. There were periods during games where the offense was ineffective for consecutive drives or even a quarter and that's something that might be even more difficult to weather next year. That said I think that the talent being recruited on the defensive side of the ball is getting better and better and they're going to have an opportunity to play in the same defense year after year after year. I guess it comes down to when will the potential talent and understanding of the defense finally meet each other out on the field and start doing some damage.

I understand a bit what he's saying in that the defense has a long way to go and that the offense, especially in the early parts of the season, will likely need to carry the team even more than it did last year. There were periods during games where the offense was ineffective for consecutive drives or even a quarter and that's something that might be even more difficult to weather next year. That said I think that the talent being recruited on the defensive side of the ball is getting better and better and they're going to have an opportunity to play in the same defense year after year after year. I guess it comes down to when will the potential talent and understanding of the defense finally meet each other out on the field and start doing some damage.
Ok that makes sense. I was looking at it a little different where our offense is going to be fine, it will be up to how good our defense is to how good our season is. Defensively, the influx in talent is pretty crazy. let's just say hypothetically:

4 star Ty Robinson DE
4 star Matthew Pola-Mao DE/NG
4 star Nick Henrich ILB
4 star Jackson Hannah ILB
4 star Noa Pola-Gates S

Just need to find elite CB and OLB.

Same thoughts, just different perspective. Hoping the offense is sooo good that we can cover up those defensive deficiencies until the kids start to grow up. The returning starters are going to need to step it up to another level, as well. I think by year's end we could have a somewhat respectable defense.

Certainly a decent start w/ the 4-star talent and, hopefully, they can bring in another in Steven Parker.

Add that to the 2018 class and you're starting to put together good talent.

4-star Cam'ron Jones S
4-star Tate Wildeman DE
4-star Caleb Tannor OLB
3-star Cam Taylor CB
3-star CJ Smith S

2019 looks better than 2018, and have to hope that 2020 is better than 2019. They need to add a potential difference maker at each position every recruiting class. I think that's something we're going to see (especially as the Frost hype is coupled with wins).

Same thoughts, just different perspective. Hoping the offense is sooo good that we can cover up those defensive deficiencies until the kids start to grow up. The returning starters are going to need to step it up to another level, as well. I think by year's end we could have a somewhat respectable defense.

Certainly a decent start w/ the 4-star talent and, hopefully, they can bring in another in Steven Parker.

4-star Cam'ron Jones S
4-star Tate Wildeman DE
4-star Caleb Tannor OLB
3-star Cam Taylor CB
3-star CJ Smith S

2019 looks better than 2018, and have to hope that 2020 is better than 2019. They need to add a potential difference maker at each position every recruiting class. I think that's something we're going to see (especially as the Frost hype is coupled with wins).
I love our 2018 class. The issue becomes of those guys you named, 60% of them had a season ending soft-tissue injury. Not good for their development. But we are getting some good talent in here.

After seeing last nights game, everyone, including the coaches need to step up their game.

Ok that makes sense. I was looking at it a little different where our offense is going to be fine, it will be up to how good our defense is to how good our season is. Defensively, the influx in talent is pretty crazy. let's just say hypothetically:

4 star Ty Robinson DE
4 star Matthew Pola-Mao DE/NG
4 star Nick Henrich ILB
4 star Jackson Hannah ILB
4 star Noa Pola-Gates S

Just need to find elite CB and OLB.

4-star Cam'ron Jones S
4-star Tate Wildeman DE
4-star Caleb Tannor OLB
3-star Cam Taylor CB
3-star CJ Smith S

In addition to Parker as the OLB piece, perhaps, DJ James can be can be the CB piece.

Lets remember what a single exceptional (great) player could do to up grade our D next season? Perhaps Darrion Daniels will be that difference maker? He's experienced, great size and seems to have a great deal of talent. We've witnessed what a truly dynamic defensive lineman can do to up lift an entire defense. Yes Suh had a good supporting cast in 09 but nevertheless that defense would not have been close to best in college football without him imo.

I believe our D will over all be improved if for no other reason having players fully bought in and familiar with the defensive scheme. It was a tough transition for many players last season on both sides of the ball. Defense just might turn out to be a pleasant surprise in 2019..........

Last edited:

I think we have some options. I was just listing off the four stars since they seem to have the best chance at 2019 playing time. People like Cam Taylor helped to buck that trend I suppose.
Totally get that....it would be great to have those two part of how the staff closes out the 2019 class.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back