• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Will we win 7 games in 2021?

How confident are you that we will win at least 7 games this year?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Two ways to look at this...

Team won’t turn the corner, no improvement, Frost is terrible and the cause of it all, no hope, everyone else is better off.....yada yada...

or

We are actually “close” and finally have decent depth and experience throughout the team with a Defense that actually showed a lot of improvement last year.... an optimistic view.

I choose the later outlook....

Far healthier.....at least for me.....

But I have always been pointed at as being the eternal optimist...the “glass half full” kind of guy.

Guilty as charged.

Right, the optimist will look at all the close losses and think eventually those close losses turn into close wins. The pessimist will do the same and think if they haven't figured out how to win those games by now, they never will.

Right, the optimist will look at all the close losses and think eventually those close losses turn into close wins. The pessimist will do the same and think if they haven't figured out how to win those games by now, they never will.

My guess is even if this team turns those close losses into close wins, we'll be seeing them downplayed. Like as in 'Could have easily been a loss'.....'Should have been a loss'. etc.

Not that that is something new but I'm assuming the sliding scale will be more pronounced than normal this fall.

Last edited:
My guess is even if this team turns those close losses into close wins, we'll be seeing a reduction them downplayed. Like as in 'Could have easily been a loss'.....'Should have been a loss'. etc.

Not that that is something new but I'm assuming the sliding scale will be more pronounced than normal this fall.
That is when you remind, a W is a W, and some have sunk so low as to accept a narrow win as a loss.

To me, youre either heading on the right direction, or the wrong direction, we will find out this year

That is when you remind, a W is a W, and some have sunk so low as to accept a narrow win as a loss.

To me, youre either heading on the right direction, or the wrong direction, we will find out this year

Agreed, but you know it's going to happen.

There are no moral victories in a loss, but there have certainly been Nebraska wins that have been thrown out with the bath water in the last twenty years.

This is true.
Right now headed into 2021, despite the loss of two magnificent players, this team is as talented top to bottom, including the 2020 incoming class as it has been in this century.
So:
The realist will ask why you think that this staff has within them the ability to make the changes that lead to close wins since they have not shown that in 4 of their five seasons as a coaching staff (UCF and DONU).
-reduce penalties
-reduce turnovers
-no square pegs in round holes (170 lb RBs in power runs on the goal line)
-Special Teams play emphasis/performance in the top 25 in FBS
-win the "second half adjustment" battle
-Find a way to close out close games: Don't let Purdue win with 3rd team QB and late long drive, have your offense be able to hold on to the ball, run out the clock so Iowa does not score a late field goal to beat you, etc.

You all have talked about many things needed to get to "7 wins", well the only thing that really matters is the coaching staff. There has to be a recognition that winning and losing is related to what they do to set up the players to be successful, related to the decisions the staff makes and the preparations the staff makes (hello Special teams coach) before and during the game.
No winning season, no bowl game in 2021 and this staff has proven they do not have what it takes (that would be their 5 losing season in 6 years folks) and that is not worthy of further employment at DONU.

GBR

I won’t say no chance at all, but I think it is highly unlikely. Getting north of 5 wins isn’t too likely in my book.

Next year we’ll go as far as the D can carry us. I just don’t see our offense getting any better next year.
I agree on the D.
In fact, defense is my guilty pleasure. I attended the MSU 7 vs NU 9, 2018 game. I love defensive toughness and hope it pushes good line battles this spring.

I'll pass.

Give this staff this year to prove they're taking the right steps and play at least winning football and go from there.

Has to be at least "winning looking" football on offense this year. Brutal schedule, but I think Frost and Co buy more time if the offense at least looks like it's getting out of its way, even if they can't break .500. That's a tall order with the personnel changes and needing to see how things fit together. And Martinez needs to play like a 4th year starter and get his collective act together.

I wanted Frost from the get-go and really want him to make it. But the offense needs to wake the hell up already.

Army had the ball for like 3/4 of the game. They methodically went up and down the field, eating clock along the way. They won’t take NU lightly in a special, 50 year anniversary game. Won’t catch them looking past NU. Nebraska will have to play flawlessly to even have a chance.
OU is going to be nasty next year. I think our game against them is going to look like the Huskers game against Ohio State. We will look good for a quarter or a half but then it will turn into a blowout I hate even typing that but it's going to be ugly.

What would your reaction be if we lost to Buffalo?

I can't assume Nebraska will beat any team. Obviously, we're not going to lose every game. In fact, I didn't choose the no chance at 7 wins.

But -- what has Nebraska done in the past 3-4 years to chalk up games as win? Yes, Buffalo is a MAC team that typically only plays one P5 team per season -- but they have been the best MAC program for about a 4-year span. It's a well-coached team. Are we a well-coached team? Sure, we have more talent -- but we have against quite a few teams that have beaten us in recent years. Illinois, for example, had 2 wins last season -- they beat Rutgers by 3 and Nebraska by 18 -- and Lovie Smith got fired.

I'm not sure who all Buffalo loses from this past season. Yes, their RB who ran for over 400 yards in a game this past season is gone -- but his backup played quite a bit late in the season -- and also put up great numbers (182, 93, 138 yards rushing in the final three games -- yes, he returns for the 2021 season). I tend to think Leipold has built a system that is pretty darn effective most of the time. I know Buffalo's starting QB also returns. But unsure about the team as a whole. Buffalo does a couple things quite well -- run the ball and win the turnover battle.

Anyhow, I can't say you're wrong. Nebraska may beat Buffalo. I'm sure we'll have more talent. And as long as we don't get out-coached, we'll have a good chance to win. But I don't buy the idea that talent alone is going to be enough. And I really don't think Lincoln is a daunting atmosphere -- we've seen a lot of lesser teams come in and play unphased by the crowd -- McNeese State, South Alabama, Troy, Northern Illinois -- all either beat us or played as quite close.
I think the Huskers win that game but if Buffalo wins it will have the same effect as the Northern Illinois loss in 2017. I think the most of the fans and boosters will turn on this staff and demand change.

OU is going to be nasty next year. I think our game against them is going to look like the Huskers game against Ohio State. We will look good for a quarter or a half but then it will turn into a blowout I hate even typing that but it's going to be ugly.
In all likelihood, yes. Maybe they will change that perception this year. NOT a better place to start than Norman, Oklahoma.

GET TICKETS

Back