• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Will we win 7 games in 2021?

How confident are you that we will win at least 7 games this year?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yep and OU LOST to KSU at home last season who went 4-6. KSU wasn't exactly a powerhouse program last season. Yes we will need to play well but so will OU imo. It will be an interesting game and won we probably shouldn't win at least on paper. Fortunately it's played on the field however.
This may be their most complete team in a decade. Offense, defense. Nebraska will have to play over their heads to stand a chance.

What would your reaction be if we lost to Buffalo?
It would be bad....
but I just don’t think it’s going to happen. I looked at their team and their record and basically who they’ve played. I’m not knocking the Mac, it’s a fine football conference.

But the difference in going toe to toe with the likes of a Big 10 schedule weekend and week out and going toe to toe in a Mac schedule is just huge in my opinion.

They didn’t play any power five last year in a short season. And they have beaten a power five all of once in a long time.

Could it happen? Sure, per the examples you pointed out, but I just don’t see it happening unless the team implodes their first game against Illinois....then things could get interesting... in a bad way.

And since they don’t play power five schools I absolutely think that a big screaming crowd WILL make a huge difference. Especially after last year when they didn’t play in front of anybody. And what is the average size of a Mac crowd....20 to 30,000 maybe, if that? The noise level alone when they have the ball will be outrageous.

As I said, my take is that the first two games really set the tone for the season. And I think the Huskers clearly understand that as well so I don’t think they will be taking them lightly at all.

I think we just go out there and whip em’.....

Hope I am right!

It would be bad....
but I just don’t think it’s going to happen. I looked at their team and their record and basically who they’ve played. I’m not knocking the Mac, it’s a fine football conference.

But the difference in going toe to toe with the likes of a Big 10 schedule weekend and week out and going toe to toe in a Mac schedule is just huge in my opinion.

They didn’t play any power five last year in a short season. And they have beaten a power five all of once in a long time.

Could it happen? Sure, per the examples you pointed out, but I just don’t see it happening unless the team implodes their first game against Illinois....then things could get interesting... in a bad way.

And since they don’t play power five schools I absolutely think that a big screaming crowd WILL make a huge difference. Especially after last year when they didn’t play in front of anybody. And what is the average size of a Mac crowd....20 to 30,000 maybe, if that? The noise level alone when they have the ball will be outrageous.

As I said, my take is that the first two games really set the tone for the season. And I think the Huskers clearly understand that as well so I don’t think they will be taking them lightly at all.

I think we just go out there and whip em’.....

Hope I am right!

We could whip 'em. Like Northern Illinois in 2019 (though that was a bad Northern Ill team that finished with a losing record). I won't totally discount that.

I do think we'll have some idea after the first game against Illinois. If we beat the Illini by 14+ points -- as we should -- I'll feel more confident about Buffalo.

Regarding our noise level -- it really depends if we come out playing well and maintain that momentum. Because I've seen Nebraska fans go into a shell far too many times in recent years. If things turn ugly, the fans become not much of a factor -- and that's happened a lot. Frost has a losing record in home games in Lincoln. It's going to be about coming out of the gates well and keeping with it.

Buffalo's head coach is very familiar with Nebraska, having worked under Solich in Lincoln, also having been an assistant at UNO and Doane, and also serving as an assistant under Turner Gill at Buffalo. Leipold definitely won't come into Lincoln scared -- so it will be up to him to translate that to his team. He's also the fastest coach in NCAA history to reach 100 wins -- all sports, all levels -- as head coach for Wisconsin Whitewater prior to joining Buffalo. He knows how to win.

Last edited:
We could whip 'em. Like Northern Illinois in 2019 (though that was a bad Northern Ill team that finished with a losing record). I won't totally discount that.

I do think we'll have some idea after the first game against Illinois. If we beat the Illini by 14+ points -- as we should -- I'll feel more confident about Buffalo.

Regarding our noise level -- it really depends if we come out playing well and maintain that momentum. Because I've seen Nebraska fans go into a shell far too many times in recent years. If things turn ugly, the fans become not much of a factor -- and that's happened a lot. Frost has a losing record in home games in Lincoln. It's going to be about coming out of the gates well and keeping with it.

Buffalo's head coach is very familiar with Nebraska, having worked under Solich in Lincoln, also having been an assistant at UNO and Doane, and also serving as an assistant under Turner Gill at Buffalo. Leipold definitely won't come into Lincoln scared -- so it will be up to him to translate that to his team. He's also the fastest coach in NCAA history to reach 100 wins -- all sports, all levels -- as head coach for Wisconsin Whitewater prior to joining Buffalo. He knows how to win.

I would like to see Leipold get the NU job if he beats SF and NU goes on to another losing season.

C

What would your reaction be if we lost to Buffalo?

I can't assume Nebraska will beat any team. Obviously, we're not going to lose every game. In fact, I didn't choose the no chance at 7 wins.

But -- what has Nebraska done in the past 3-4 years to chalk up games as win? Yes, Buffalo is a MAC team that typically only plays one P5 team per season -- but they have been the best MAC program for about a 4-year span. It's a well-coached team. Are we a well-coached team? Sure, we have more talent -- but we have against quite a few teams that have beaten us in recent years. Illinois, for example, had 2 wins last season -- they beat Rutgers by 3 and Nebraska by 18 -- and Lovie Smith got fired.

I'm not sure who all Buffalo loses from this past season. Yes, their RB who ran for over 400 yards in a game this past season is gone -- but his backup played quite a bit late in the season -- and also put up great numbers (182, 93, 138 yards rushing in the final three games -- yes, he returns for the 2021 season). I tend to think Leipold has built a system that is pretty darn effective most of the time. I know Buffalo's starting QB also returns. But unsure about the team as a whole. Buffalo does a couple things quite well -- run the ball and win the turnover battle.

Anyhow, I can't say you're wrong. Nebraska may beat Buffalo. I'm sure we'll have more talent. And as long as we don't get out-coached, we'll have a good chance to win. But I don't buy the idea that talent alone is going to be enough. And I really don't think Lincoln is a daunting atmosphere -- we've seen a lot of lesser teams come in and play unphased by the crowd -- McNeese State, South Alabama, Troy, Northern Illinois -- all either beat us or played as quite close.
They run the ball, and well, but have been stomped by PSU in the last two years,and their passing game is atrocious, finishing 95th last year and 122nd in 2019.
Their run D was pedestrian last year, but very good two years ago.

I like our chances of slowing down their run game,and expect their pass game to not all the sudden get really good.

Appears to be a decent, well coached team, that plays good defense and runs the ball, not sure theyre anything more than just another tough team, as all are in the Big.

If they cant throw the ball well, I like our chances here, and so far, they have not thrown the ball well in two years trying.

Though I think the team turns a big corner this year, I don't see seven 'Mark 'em down' wins on the 2021 schedule.

Their collective potential is higher than seven wins, but they have not played to their potential in all three phases under this staff.

We shall see.
Weve seen holes filled, baby steps in the pass game, our sideline to sideline game is good, slants ok, TE seams good.

Our run game with a healthy top back in looks ok to good, and see it improving, we can learn to walk this year.

Consistency is finally arriving for our D, and only improving.

Special teams can only get better.

Run the ball well, hold onto the ball and finish drives, we get 7, if not, itll be tough to get 7.

But our D may get some takeaways this year, if at the right time, even if the O isnt playing great, could also get us to seven as well.

Weve been playing close, with atrocious O at time, too many penalties, horrible special teams, poor field position and a high turnover rate, and a so so rate at getting turnovers.

All this is fixable, and a lot will fix itself in us being an older and more experienced to that having the right fits.

We will be better, by how much depends on the kids desire to win, we already are seeing this on the D side, its time for our O to start making good steps now.

Last edited:
Weve seen holes filled, baby steps in the pass game, our sideline to sideline game is good, slants ok, TE seams good.

Our run game with a healthy top back in looks ok to good, and see it improving, we can learn to walk this year.

Consistency is finally arriving for our D, and only improving.

Special teams can only get better.

Run the ball well, hold onto the ball and finish drives, we get 7, if not, itll be tough to get 7.

But our D may get some takeaways this year, if at the right time, even if the O isnt playing great, could also get us to seven as well.

Weve been playing close, with atrocious O at time, too many penalties, horrible special teams, poor field position and a high turnover rate, and a so so rate at getting turnovers.

All this is fixable, and a lot will fix itself in us being an older and more experienced to that having the right fits.

We will be better, by how much depends on the kids desire to win, we already are seeing this on the D side, its time for our O to start making good steps now.

I said last year that if we just score on one more drive, it flips the script.

What happens if we do that AND cut way down on drive killing penalties, turnovers and improve special teams play. We could be seeing a quick jump in wins. Could be.

I said last year that if we just score on one more drive, it flips the script.

What happens if we do that AND cut way down on drive killing penalties, turnovers and improve special teams play. We could be seeing a quick jump in wins. Could be.
We could see a jump. Possible. Likely? I’m not sure. We just haven’t seen anything to suggest otherwise, so it would be a pleasant surprise if they did.

We could see a jump. Possible. Likely? I’m not sure. We just haven’t seen anything to suggest otherwise, so it would be a pleasant surprise if they did.

Thats fair.

We are what we are until proven otherwise.

I like a lot of the pieces and see things moving in the right direction on many fronts, but it has to show up in the ‘W’ column, and soon, or we’re going to be looking at changes.

Why do you think we should beat Illnois? They owned us last year, we had to come back from way down the year before ... and they upgraded their coach to someone with a BiG championship. I see that one as toss up at best.

Why do you think we should beat Illnois? They owned us last year, we had to come back from way down the year before ... and they upgraded their coach to someone with a BiG championship. I see that one as toss up at best.

Yes, Illinois had 2 wins last season. Rutgers by 3 and Nebraska by 18. I'm aware of this. We absolutely should beat Illinois -- if we are coached well. I didn't say we would beat Illinois.

I think it will depend allot on what Martinez QB we see and how good the play calling is. Martinez will have to have his best season ever for us to go 7-5. If he plays like he did that last 3 years then........5 in a row! He has to start where he left off at the second half against Rutgers. I'm not holding my breath.

2021 HUSKER FOOTBALL​

08/28@ IllinoisTBA
09/11BuffaloTBA
09/18@ OklahomaTBA
09/25@ Michigan St.TBA
10/02NorthwesternTBA
10/09MichiganTBA
10/16@ MinnesotaTBA
10/30PurdueTBA
11/06Ohio St.TBA
11/13Southeastern LouisianaTBA
11/20@ WisconsinTBA
11/26IowaTBA

@Bean

Does AM’s play make a difference? Surely....and it’s a big one. And I mean your point is valid if you look at the razor thin margins we have been losing by over the last three years. A little bit better play by the all important quarterback position might have gotten us over the top.

But I think it’s just way too simplistic to blame everything on Adrian Martinez.....or say if HE plays better we certainly win.

And he simply can’t play better if he’s not protected better.

If Adrian had the time to throw for as long as Ohio State’s quarterback did this year...he has far better numbers...and far less turnovers....it’s that simple.

and the past 4 three seasons have seen far too many other “holes” in the Huskers....

Agree on the play calling...

GET TICKETS

Back