• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Will we win 7 games in 2021?

How confident are you that we will win at least 7 games this year?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Arent they the Northwestern of the Big 12/
First I’ve ever heard of that comparison. I had tons of friends go to Ames. As I grew up on the Iowa side of the Missouri River and was actually an Iowa resident even though my whole family went to the University of Nebraska. I’ve visited there many many times. Ames is a nice town and Iowa State is known as a very fine engineering school.

But the Northwestern of the big 12? Wow that one throws me. Not the Ames Iowa I know but hell it’s been a long long time.

First I’ve ever heard of that comparison. I had tons of friends go to Ames. As I grew up on the Iowa side of the Missouri River and was actually an Iowa resident even though my whole family went to the University of Nebraska. I’ve visited there many many times. Ames is a nice town and Iowa State is known as a very fine engineering school.

But the Northwestern of the big 12? Wow that one throws me. Not the Ames Iowa I know but hell it’s been a long long time.
It was a really bad comparison...

I guess sarcasm wasnt picked up.
In reference to Fitz, and how he stayed, but no, ISU is not NW
Fitz stayed at NW, Cambell doesnt have such a school

Arent they the Northwestern of the Big 12/

No.

Northwestern has much stricter academic requirements, which limits their recruiting. Northwestern is an upper-tier academic institution, ranked #9 in the nation. That will always limit their potential athletically.

Iowa State is #118 ranked academically.

Last edited:
Maybe....but does anyone here think ISU is the place a coach stays forever? A final destination place?

Even with some decent upgrades to Jack Trice and a crap ton more for much better facilities?

Somebody like Michigan, or Washington, or UCLA or Tennessee or LSU or even a Purdue offer to buy him out....

Extension or not....he’s gone.

My opinion only....the world is changing.

We are the perfect example.

Good chance it is NU that hires him after next year if SF has yet another losing season.

C

Maybe....but does anyone here think ISU is the place a coach stays forever? A final destination place?

Even with some decent upgrades to Jack Trice and a crap ton more for much better facilities?

Somebody like Michigan, or Washington, or UCLA or Tennessee or LSU or even a Purdue offer to buy him out....

Extension or not....he’s gone.

My opinion only....the world is changing.

We are the perfect example.

I think once in a while you get a guy who enjoys the stability, an area, the people, whatever, and they're more than happy to make a career of it. Campbell may be one of those guys. Maybe he just wants to make a name for himself and he's fine doing it in Ames. Weird, but whatever.

In a world of people looking for constant 'upgrades' in their phones, clothes, cars, jobs, houses, even wives in some cases, I'm actually hoping he stays there and is the TO of Iowa State. Retires in 20 years with a bag full of Big 12 Conference Championship rings, the adoration of Cyclone fans everywhere and has the stadium named after him.

Now that I've put that in writing, he'll be gone by the end of the 2022 season.

If that’s how the season turns out and Iowa State remains number five in the country...he’s not staying at Iowa State. There is no way in hell.
He loves it there and so does his family. 4 million per in Ames, Iowa is a lot. That will continue to rise. Maybe, he thinks he can win the Big 12 there, get into the playoffs, and possibly win a national championship there? Hell, if they didn’t lay that early egg against Louisiana, they were on the cusp of a playoff berth last year. They easily could have beaten Oklahoma in the Big 12 title game. If he keeps winning and putting the ISU brand out there, recruiting will get even better. I would have never thought ISU could win like they have, but good for them, and for him. I’m pulling for him. He is legit. Maybe he’ll hang around there for 15-20 years, who knows.

No.

Northwestern has much stricter academic requirements, which limits their recruiting. Northwestern is an upper-tier academic institution, ranked #9 in the nation. That will always limit their potential athletically.

Iowa State is #118 ranked academically.
Pretty high for a Big 12 school not named Texas or TCU I would think.

He loves it there and so does his family. 4 million per in Ames, Iowa is a lot. That will continue to rise. Maybe, he thinks he can win the Big 12 there, get into the playoffs, and possibly win a national championship there? Hell, if they didn’t lay that early egg against Louisiana, they were on the cusp of a playoff berth last year. They easily could have beaten Oklahoma in the Big 12 title game. If he keeps winning and putting the ISU brand out there, recruiting will get even better. I would have never thought ISU could win like they have, but good for them, and for him. I’m pulling for him. He is legit. Maybe he’ll hang around there for 15-20 years, who knows.
Sounds good but the problem remains that ISU still is not even the number 1 school in the state, Iowa is.
And despite all that Campbell has done, he is 0-4 against the Hawkeyes!
No, Campbell will stay in Ames (a great town, we lived there 8+ years) 2-3 more years and then go to a major school to have a shot a National Championship.

I think once in a while you get a guy who enjoys the stability, an area, the people, whatever, and they're more than happy to make a career of it. Campbell may be one of those guys. Maybe he just wants to make a name for himself and he's fine doing it in Ames. Weird, but whatever.

In a world of people looking for constant 'upgrades' in their phones, clothes, cars, jobs, houses, even wives in some cases, I'm actually hoping he stays there and is the TO of Iowa State. Retires in 20 years with a bag full of Big 12 Conference Championship rings, the adoration of Cyclone fans everywhere and has the stadium named after him.

Now that I've put that in writing, he'll be gone by the end of the 2022 season.
Be nice to see him stay. I love it when people are loyal, want to do good things for wherever they work. It’s refreshing to see that. He doesn’t have the pressure of a big time school either. Comfortable, and, most importantly, seems rather hungry to win. Excellent combination. Many get to comfortable, and lose their hunger.

To add, my dad worked for Phillips 66 after graduating from Drake. Only job he ever had. He retired after 39 years of service. Other opportunities were out there for him, but he always preached loyalty, stability, and a good, solid paycheck. More money elsewhere is not always the answer and oftentimes comes with less stability.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Back