• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Will we live up to expectations? And whose expectations?

The Big had very little good qbing last year. We did manage to play 4 of the six best.
If you can't throw you won't run much in the Big unless you use your qb.
Add the bluffs Lil Neon we played some good qbs.
Again. I’ll repeat the facts. The best offense we played last year was 60th. No reason to try and sugar coat it.

You forgot to mention we played 6 of the top 40 defenses. So repeat that too. Don't omit to sugar coat
I stated the defenses averaged 52. Which might have contributed to the offensive struggles. If you want to add to it go ahead. Don’t accuse me of forgetting to mention anything.

I stated the defenses averaged 52. Which might have contributed to the offensive struggles. If you want to add to it go ahead. Don’t accuse me of forgetting to mention anything.
No, you didn't say we played half our games against top 40 defenses.
You didn't. Period

No, you didn't say we played half our games against top 40 defenses.
You didn't. Period

200w.gif

Nebraska has enough talent on the team to be pretty good this year. They have had enough talent over the last several years to be at least a bowl team. They have upgraded at the most important position that basically cost them probably 3-4 wins last year. It would be nice to beat USC.

I have said this along with several other people for a long time. The Nebraska football team just needs something good to happen early in the season and things could really take off. They finally have a schedule that sets up to do this.

They should start the season 3-0. All three games at home is a huge plus. If they start 3-0 that is a lot of momentum and a lot of confidence. They could then go 7-0 to start the season. Though Rutgers is going to be pretty good and I expect Illinois, Purdue and Indiana to be better. It can happen, I don't really expect it, but it can.

The only school that is going to out athlete Nebraska this year is OSU for sure and maybe USC. But USC is kind of a hot mess of a team.

I hope and think they can get 8 wins this year. I think it can happen and I think if they start out 7-0 they may get a couple more.
It would be nice to beat USC they are one of the few teams we have not ever beat.

...Till then, I will just keep my Kool-Aid pitcher clean and not waste time mixing up a new batch that just turns bitter.
I tell people we just need to make a bowl game. But I have a little bottle of kool-aid I hide in my desk drawer and sneak a drink when the boss isn't looking, and start thinking even that 5 game stretch at the end of the season might be pretty fun.

;)

Last edited:
Again. I’ll repeat the facts. The best offense we played last year was 60th. No reason to try and sugar coat it.
The only thing I can say is our D mostly played to their potential and usually looked pretty good. They did however do the big EL-FOLD at the worst possible time!! We might have won at least 2 more games had they stopped opponents late in some of those 1 score losses. Sure the offense didn’t help but then neither did the 2009... but the D general came through.

The only thing I can say is our D mostly played to their potential and usually looked pretty good. They did however do the big EL-FOLD at the worst possible time!! We might have won at least 2 more games had they stopped opponents late in some of those 1 score losses. Sure the offense didn’t help but then neither did the 2009... but the D general came through.
And is why the coaches are saying throw out last year, though some try to make it a point. 3rd is what they're aiming at, getting plenty and turning them into 4th downs.
The coaches don't want the players self patting themselves on the back for last year. TW says last year doesn't count and we werent good on third down.
Now those are the expectations for this year with some decently laid groundwork from last while not living on any laurels

MR has some expectations this year. I know I do

We shouldn't miss a bowl again this year. If we do, we definitely failed to meet expectations.

Beyond that, expectations should be more about what we see on the field vs. simply looking at stats/results. Are we improving at key positions? Are we getting rid of glaring weaknesses? Are we building depth and developing young talent?

If the answer to those questions is yes, the wins should come. Setting an expectation to what that number is isn't always fair, because it is largely dependent on how good the teams we play turn out to be.

We shouldn't miss a bowl again this year. If we do, we definitely failed to meet expectations.

Beyond that, expectations should be more about what we see on the field vs. simply looking at stats/results. Are we improving at key positions? Are we getting rid of glaring weaknesses? Are we building depth and developing young talent?

If the answer to those questions is yes, the wins should come. Setting an expectation to what that number is isn't always fair, because it is largely dependent on how good the teams we play turn out to be.
Exactly, the ball bounces whatever direction it wants to sometimes.
But the staff pointing out 11th in the nation was last year, we've done nothing this year and last year we weren't good on third downs gets that message across.
The staff saying we need to get good in our pass game. They didn't say better, they said good. What are those standards other than we know they were not met last year.
Like they say about ref calls, you have to play better than to have them lose you a game, making the team better to the standards will make wins take care of themselves. Learning how to win, incremental victories throughout the game is what I'm seeing being asked

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back