• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Will we ever see another 400 hitter?

Oh, it's true. I mean, at least since the early 1990's, some of the pitchers we've seen, have been amazingly good. But, records are meant to be broken. I mean, nobody thought that anyone would break the 4 minute mile, break Maris' record, eat more than 70 hotdogs, etc. etc. As I said too, none of us on the HM may be around to see, so to the OP, most likely not, it doesn't mean it can't or wont happen. If it does happen, I just hope it's not the Damn Yankees. Any of the other 31 teams, I'd be okay with it, I would.
Unless someone else comes along, I only see Altuve in the running for .400. If I don't see another, it is fine with me.

Of course, as said, I was only 3 when Ted Williams did it. It would be something to behold, for sure. We have HR records all the time, but the 2 sacred ones are still out there: .400, once more and breaking Joe DiMaggio's 56-game hitting streak! And, even if they do break Joltin' Joe's streak, he went on to hit in another 24 or so after that! Joe was an amazing ball player! Proud, he was from the Bay Area. Many folks still think he is from San Francisco. The truth is, he was born in Martinez, across the Bay, but he went to school in San Francisco. :)

Joe went to Galileo High School. Sadly, someone else went there, also. I remember, while still living in the Bay Area, this phenom was breaking records, left and right. He was one heck of a local hero. Sadly, all that has gone by the wayside:

joe-dimaggio-9274899-1-402.jpg

o-j-simpson-u51

I suppose this is a thread hijack but:

I'd love for baseball to throw out all the history. Go with a 7 inning game with a pitch clock. I used to be a BIG baseball guy. But the game is a shell of its former self. Money drove it to its current level of absurdity. I still like to go to the park and watch. But I do it to be there with my kids and wife. It really has nothing to do with the outcome of the games anymore. Of course, having Maddux, Smoltz, Glavine and Avery to watch made for faster paced, more exciting games, as well.

I've had countless discussions with traditionalists. They HATE the idea. Lol, but I love it.

I would not be greatly surprised to see jose altuve chase it NEXT YEAR.
He can hit anything, his strike zone isn't big, and he has good hitters around him so they can't pitch around him.

I suppose this is a thread hijack but:

I'd love for baseball to throw out all the history. Go with a 7 inning game with a pitch clock. I used to be a BIG baseball guy. But the game is a shell of its former self. Money drove it to its current level of absurdity. I still like to go to the park and watch. But I do it to be there with my kids and wife. It really has nothing to do with the outcome of the games anymore. Of course, having Maddux, Smoltz, Glavine and Avery to watch made for faster paced, more exciting games, as well.

I've had countless discussions with traditionalists. They HATE the idea. Lol, but I love it.
Well, you are entitled to your own opinion. But, yes, this is not ladies softball! ;)

But it is a dying sport.

;)

I should have continued. Sorry! :) I find it hard to watch 9 innings, also; unless, of course, it is my SF Giants vs the LA Dodgers. That is the only exception for me. After moving away from the Bay Area in 1997, I no longer had the option to go the game, whenever I wanted. I do miss my Giants. Taking my wife with me, usually in the evening, was a lot of fun.

I should have continued. Sorry! :) I find it hard to watch 9 innings, also; unless, of course, it is my SF Giants vs the LA Dodgers. That is the only exception for me. After moving away from the Bay Area in 1997, I no longer had the option to go the game, whenever I wanted. I do miss my Giants. Taking my wife with me, usually in the evening, was a lot of fun.
Living in Georgia meant Turner Park and that beautiful Braves rotation for me. I was spoiled with sub 3 hour games.

Living in Georgia meant Turner Park and that beautiful Braves rotation for me. I was spoiled with sub 3 hour games.
I remember those days!! Man, what a line up of killers on the mound. The only thing that doesn't make sense, is that you only won it all ONE TIME!! Amazing!

Last edited:
I remember those days!! Man, what a line up of killers on the mound. The only thing that doesn't make sense, is that you only won it all ONE TIME!! Amazing!
1995. Still remember it like yesterday

Maddux W 2-hitter
Glavine W Dominanting
Smoltz L - odd subpar outing
Avery W - HUGE controversy to start him and he went a strong 6.
Maddux L - How could we lose?!!??!! with Maddux starting?
Glavine W 1-hitter = WC champs.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back