• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Will we ever be as good as Coastal Carolina?

Only one NU coach was fired after 3 years. ONE!

SF is already halfway into year 4 so that three year nonsense no longer applies.

C
Yep, you are correct. The administration has been very stubborn about not succumbing to fan pressure to fire coaches when the demands first arise. For example, the chorus was pretty strong in the summer to fire Frost and came to a crescendo after the Illinois game.

But I wasn’t really making a historical reference as to what happened at Nebraska in the past. I was simply voicing the argument of many on here that feel that if you haven’t turned a program around in two years, you have failed.

Some people feel that firing coaches is the best process for improving a program. I push back and suggest that it isn’t that simple. Further, I don’t care what year Frost is in. I care about the current state of the program and what the trend looks like, independent of win/loss records.

Yep, you are correct. The administration has been very stubborn about not succumbing to fan pressure to fire coaches when the demands first arise. For example, the chorus was pretty strong in the summer to fire Frost and came to a crescendo after the Illinois game.

But I wasn’t really making a historical reference as to what happened at Nebraska in the past. I was simply voicing the argument of many on here that feel that if you haven’t turned a program around in two years, you have failed.

Some people feel that firing coaches is the best process for improving a program. I push back and suggest that it isn’t that simple. Further, I don’t care what year Frost is in. I care about the current state of the program and what the trend looks like, independent of win/loss records.

4 straight years of penalty issues, along with 4 straight years of ST and OL ineptitude. Guess it takes 5+ years to solve those three items. :rolleyes:

C

4 straight years of penalty issues, along with 4 straight years of ST and OL ineptitude. Guess it takes 5+ years to solve those three items. :rolleyes:

C
I don’t know how long it should have taken to fix Nebraska after the Riley firing. (Though I do know it hasn’t taken four years. We are I. The fourth season. Each game is the forum in which experience is gained to fix the issues.)

But how long it SHOULD take is not really the relevant question to me when trying to plot a path forward. The question is whether we are trending in the right direction. The idea that we would make a decision implicating over 50 million dollars based on some nebulous concept of how long it “should” have taken is foreign to me. At the time of Scott’s hiring, he was given a five year contract. Thereafter, early on, he was given a two year extension which, to me, signaled that Scott and the AD felt it was going to take longer than previously anticipated. Perhaps the reality of the situation. There certainly were some recruiting and scheme missteps that caused some drag on progress.

I have no power in all this. If the program wants to use a time metric without reference to the current state of the program and trend lines, they are certainly free to buy this coach out and spend another 35 mil to bring a new one in.

Last edited:
I don’t know how long it should have taken to fix Nebraska after the Riley firing. (Though I do know it hasn’t taken four years. We are I. The fourth season. Each game is the forum in which experience is gained to fix the issues.)

But how long it SHOULD take is not really the relevant question to me when trying to plot a path forward. The question is whether we are trending in the right direction. The idea that we would make a decision implicating over 50 million dollars based on some nebulous concept of how long it “should” have taken is foreign to me. At the time of Scott’s hiring, he was given a five year contract. Thereafter, early on, he was given a two year extension which, to me, signaled that Scott and the AD felt it was going to take longer than previously anticipated. Perhaps the reality of the situation. There certainly were some recruiting and scheme missteps that caused some drag on progress.

I have no power in all this. If the program wants to use a time metric without reference to the current state of the program and trend lines, they are certainly free to buy this coach out and spend another 35 mil to bring a new one in.

SF arrived in January of 2018, that is 4 winter conditionings, 4 spring practices, 4 summer workouts, 4 fall camps, and now 5 games into the 4th football season. Same penalty, ST, and OL issues as year one so that is not trending in the right direction and are the reasons for many of the losses.

Still 7 games to be played and maybe by some miracle those same issues stop and he pulls off a .500 season.

C

SF arrived in January of 2018, that is 4 winter conditionings, 4 spring practices, 4 summer workouts, 4 fall camps, and now 5 games into the 4th football season. Same penalty, ST, and OL issues as year one so that is not trending in the right direction and are the reasons for many of the losses.

Still 7 games to be played and maybe by some miracle those same issues stop and he pulls off a .500 season.

C
Crap! I missed the spring game in 2020. I thought it and spring and fall conditioning were impacted by Covid. I also thought the 2020 season was truncated. My bad. I feel like I was misled.

So, if I got this right, he had full spring practices in 2018, 2019, 2020, and 2021. That makes four. I stand corrected. I just thought the 2020 spring game and practices were cancelled. I also thought the actual season itself counted in the calculation of time. I didn’t realize four years were considered to have been completed after fall camp of the fourth season. I think by your calculus we are really in year 5.

By God, you’ve convinced me that the passage of time is the critical factor in making a 50 million dollar decision. Thank you for setting me straight on all this.

Let me just pencil you into the fire Frost no matter what category and we can leave it at that.

Crap! I missed the spring game in 2020. I thought it and spring and fall conditioning were impacted by Covid. I also thought the 2020 season was truncated. My bad. I feel like I was misled.

So, if I got this right, he had full spring practices in 2018, 2019, 2020, and 2021. That makes four. I stand corrected. I just thought the 2020 spring game and practices were cancelled. I also thought the actual season itself counted in the calculation of time. I didn’t realize four years were considered to have been completed after fall camp of the fourth season. I think by your calculus we are really in year 5.

By God, you’ve convinced me that the passage of time is the critical factor in making a 50 million dollar decision. Thank you for setting me straight on all this.

Let me just pencil you into the fire Frost no matter what category and we can leave it at that.

Don't put words in my mouth, if SF hits .500 he will be retained. I have yet to even post that he should be fired. And they are not just at the completion of fall camp, they are one game from half way through the season and three months from a full 4 years.

You have convinced me, SF just needs 10 years and maybe he will reach trained monkey status then.

C

Don't put words in my mouth, if SF hits .500 he will be retained. I have yet to even post that he should be fired. And they are not just at the completion of fall camp, they are one game from half way through the season and three months from a full 4 years.

You have convinced me, SF just needs 10 years and maybe he will reach trained monkey status then.

C
I convinced you of that? I am good! I didn’t even make the argument he should get one year let alone 10. I’ve simply argued that the mere passage of time is meaningless to me in assessing the situation. Thanks for the compliment though.

dude, you say four years is enough and even claimed that Covid didn’t cancel practices and the spring game in 2020. I am not sure I am putting words in your mouth. I’m just drawing the logical inferences from your position.

Can you imagine the reaction if we had beaten Buffalo by only 3 points?

I think Nebraska could go undefeated against Coastal's schedule. Maybe that's what some fans are looking for.
Maybe

Last edited:
I convinced you of that? I am good! I didn’t even make the argument he should get one year let alone 10. I’ve simply argued that the mere passage of time is meaningless to me in assessing the situation. Thanks for the compliment though.

dude, you say four years is enough and even claimed that Covid didn’t cancel practices and the spring game in 2020. I am not sure I am putting words in your mouth. I’m just drawing the logical inferences from your position.

Okay, going to quibble over losing the spring game. NU did something all other teams didn't, kept the players on campus, working out, eating at the nutrition table, and off campus practices. Sorry but missing that one spring does not cancel the entire year.

C

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back