• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Will Sam Keller and Ed O’Bannon bankrupt the NCAA and/or the conferences?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voice Of Reason

Scout Team
10 Year Member
That is a real possibility and has BiG Commissioner Jim Delany very concerned. Major decision coming in June.

The overview

In re: NCAA Student-Athlete Name & Likeness Licensing Litigation (a/k/a O'Bannon v. NCAA) is an antitrust lawsuit brought by former UCLA Bruins basketball player Ed O'Bannon against the NCAA for using the likeness of past and present players in a variety of products, including the EA Sports college video games. The strange case name is due to the fact that the O'Bannon case was consolidated with one filed by former Nebraska quarterback Sam Keller, in which Keller alleged that EA Sports was using his likeness and that of his former teammates in its video games.

If the NCAA loses and the class is certified, the entire model of collegiate athletics is in danger, as detailed elsewhere.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...obannon-ncaa-lawsuit-next-class-certification

This is a case where EA and the NCAA are using amateur athletes for their own benefit. I have never felt college athletes should be paid beyond their scholarship benefits of room, board and tuition, but here is a blatant case of a private organization, in collusion with the NCAA, making money off the names of athletes without their permission. I hope the lawyers for O'Bannon and Keller mop the floor with them

No where in any of those videos is the name of a single athlete mentioned. Add to that the fact that there aren't many people playing a version of those games that features a likeness of either player.

No where in any of those videos is the name of a single athlete mentioned. Add to that the fact that there aren't many people playing a version of those games that features a likeness of either player.

O'Bannon and Keller aren't suing just specifically for them, and likeness involves more than just your name.

Will Sam Keller and Ed O’Bannon bankrupt the NCAA and/or the conferences?

Yeah, I think this is more of an issue intended to force payments to player.

Ain't gonna happen.

Yeah, I think this is more of an issue intended to force payments to player.

Ain't gonna happen.

I don’t want to predict how it will end up but I think it’s safe to predict that it will drag through the courts for many years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back