• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Will NIL take any of the "dark money" out of recruiting?

I honestly don't think this system will benefit Nebraska. We may not be one of the big losers but you can bet we're not going to be one of the big winners. This is going to be serious money by serious businesses and boosters and they're going to want big markets....and Nebraska isn't one of them I'm afraid.
Using the Phil Knight example. We are still one of the highest profile on Adidas list. The best players could set up their own clothing/shoe line under the Adidas umbrella. Think about the money someone like a TFraz or even better Rozier (Who has always had his own crazy style) could have made.

Using the Phil Knight example. We are still one of the highest profile on Adidas list. The best players could set up their own clothing/shoe line under the Adidas umbrella. Think about the money someone like a TFraz or even better Rozier (Who has always had his own crazy style) could have made.
Maybe...but the best players will be drawn to the big markets. Now, maybe Nebraska is a good sized national brand from a fan standpoint but I wonder if fan count is going to be as important as localized investors who want to throw money at a program to build it. If that happens we can forget about grabbing kids from FL or TX or CA. Maybe we have more sugar daddies than I anticipate and maybe I'm reading this all wrong but I don't have a good feeling about it for the Huskers.

TFraz would have made tons of NIL money on just his rap skills…fast forward 30 seconds into the video. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
I honestly don't think this system will benefit Nebraska. We may not be one of the big losers but you can bet we're not going to be one of the big winners. This is going to be serious money by serious businesses and boosters and they're going to want big markets....and Nebraska isn't one of them I'm afraid.
I disagree. It takes fans to give any team an advantage. At the end of the day business is going to be business. Huskers have a top ten fan base which will give players tons of followers. The more followers the bigger the payday. I see this helping more than hurting Nebraska. Nebraska is a wide reaching market. Sports bars in California are husker themed. Sports bars in Chicago are husker themed. The one biggest recruiting tool huskers have had is the fan base. This just gave them an even bigger recruiting tool.

Maybe. Here's what I've been wondering. I have a little side tax business. Could I pick out a player, and pay him whatever I want to plug my business on social media?? Should someone out there be matching up players and businesses?? Could this be a big advantage for programs like DONU who have a big following?? Some with $ ?
I believe the part about matching up players and businesses is already happening on a large scale. Is there still a ton of opportunity in this area, OH YEAH $$.

I disagree. It takes fans to give any team an advantage. At the end of the day business is going to be business. Huskers have a top ten fan base which will give players tons of followers. The more followers the bigger the payday. I see this helping more than hurting Nebraska. Nebraska is a wide reaching market. Sports bars in California are husker themed. Sports bars in Chicago are husker themed. The one biggest recruiting tool huskers have had is the fan base. This just gave them an even bigger recruiting tool.
Advantage and disadvantage and here is why, Nebraskan business owners will take care of all of the players, while the big schools will only be focused on the marquee for the most part.

Living in SoCal has taught me something about big markets vs. little markets. People barely care about UCLA or USC, are there die hard fans sure but the main attraction are the 8 pro teams in LA/OC and that is not counting Soccer or other pro sports

Makeshift, overnite, marketing companies are gonna pop up in 24 hours to pay a kid, and provide some lame "promotion". These are just agents, boosters, and middle men in disguise, and everyone knows it.
The "dark money" situation is gonna get worse.
The "no money, no exception" rule protected the kids and the game more than most are willing to admit. Lots of these kids are now gonna get promised, and used.

I have mentioned this in a few other places but here is how I see this playing out with some schools.

I will use Oregon as the most glaring example:

Phil Knight, "I will pay every high 4*/5* that commits and signs with Oregon TONS of NIL $$ through a NIKE endorsement." And he can, because he is a billionaire and the $$ would be pocket change for him. Other schools will have similar "fans" but Oregon is the glaring example on how this can really separate the half's and have nots in CFB. we will see a small handful of schools become the annual elite, like Alabama and Clemson have been the last 10 years or so.
I agree and believe this will be the start of the super conference. I do think it might spread some talent out amongst the bigger schools. I believe Nebraska can be one of those schools that benifit. I still don’t like it!

Dark Money will blend with Good money and neither the institution nor the NCAA will be able to tell the difference. And all of the money will just become poison. For all involve, Bussiness want ROI on there investment, Coaches and Institutions well feel like they have lost control and the players will be saying I want more. I don’t like it and I’m not sure this won’t become a situation we’re we end up watching the Alabama Cokes vs the Clemson Pepsi’s

The NIL was and is a bad idea. Its what happens when lawyers and marketers see an untapped source of coin. It you think this all went down for the sake of the college athletes you are probably mistaken.

i think we all agree it’s a Faustian Deal that’s going to lead to all kinds of negative consequences for everybody except the middlemen who take their cut of every deal, whether it’s a good one or a bad one.

But it’s still happening, so what effect do you think this deal will have on existing pay-for-play money that’s permeated college football for the last 40 years?

i think we all agree it’s a Faustian Deal that’s going to lead to all kinds of negative consequences for everybody except the middlemen who take their cut of every deal, whether it’s a good one or a bad one.

But it’s still happening, so what effect do you think this deal will have on existing pay-for-play money that’s permeated college football for the last 40 years?
I don't think it was that widespread. There were pockets of bad actors but unlikely the real winners had to resort to playing players to come. This will benefit some teams and hurt others. Maybe Nebraska comes out of this better than I think but my gut tells me the big boys will gain another advantage over the rest.

NU is not a big market, is no longer in the upper tier of football programs, and is a very had sell to any legit PR campaign. There fore it will be stuck with second rate programs and disguised programs in which small companies owned by a sole shareholder or privatly will pay to play and make up something as the PR benefit. There won't be many of those, and those that there are will be coddled by the schools.

What I can't figure out is the effect this will have as some "name" players make the big bucks and others on the team get diddly squat. In addition, the portal will become very active and will have contracts for NIL as enducements to transfer. I also don't quite see what these players are going to do when they graduate and cannot make the pros. They may well have become used to the money that will not be then avaiable, and their degree will probably be useless.

How this got started is easy to see (look at how the NU administrators tried to suck up as much money as they could once NU had a winning team), but I think administrators never expected players to get these rights.

My attention will turn to smaller schools in which the players are playing because they really like football and playing is a fun thing to do while they get their college degrees.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back