• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Will Bolt - Associate Head Coach

BulletForMyHuskers

Red Shirt
5 Year Member
Nebraska baseball coach Darin Erstad announced Wednesday the hiring of former Husker standout Will Bolt as associate head coach. A four-year starter and team captain on Nebraska's 2001 and 2002 College World Series teams, Bolt has spent the past four seasons as head coach at Texarkana College. He will oversee NU's infield unit and help direct the Husker offense.

More here http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=100&ATCLID=205157990

Not like this is breaking news to anyone, but it is now official!

Last edited:

I hope they are able to find some players who can actually get a hit once in awhile when there are two outs and runners in scoring position.

Dang, give it a rest. Be happy with the NEW coaches and give them a stinking chance. Your buddy MA is gone and not coming back.

Dang, give it a rest. Be happy with the NEW coaches and give them a stinking chance. Your buddy MA is gone and not coming back.

I fully support the new coaches, but our biggest problem last year was hitting the ball. And the best hitter we had will probably sign a contract with the Phillies. So as I said earlier, I hope they can find some hitters who can hit in the clutch. I hardly see that as a controversial or provocative statement.

Apparently, the players are happy with the promotion of Erstad. I am happy about that. But as Erstad himself said in his press conference, "..we need to teach these players how to win." I couldn't agree more.

Last edited:
If I remember right ,Will has connections in Texas. Darin should have connections in California but really I'm hoping we can get some talented upper midwest kids who've been under the radar and aren't afraid to play in the frigid and rugged frontier of Nebraska. Getting the kind of players who aren't afraid of train robbers or cattle rustlers gives you an added toughness right off the bat IMO. With Will on board I say so what if we have to put spittoons in the dugout...I think a little mess is worth the long-term benefits.

I fully support the new coaches, but our biggest problem last year was hitting the ball. And the best hitter we had will probably sign a contract with the Phillies. So as I said earlier, I hope they can find some hitters who can hit in the clutch. I hardly see that as a controversial or provocative statement.

Apparently, the players are happy with the promotion of Erstad. I am happy about that. But as Erstad himself said in his press conference, "..we need to teach these players how to win." I couldn't agree more.

Not sounding like it.

If I remember right ,Will has connections in Texas. Darin should have connections in California but really I'm hoping we can get some talented upper midwest kids who've been under the radar and aren't afraid to play in the frigid and rugged frontier of Nebraska. Getting the kind of players who aren't afraid of train robbers or cattle rustlers gives you an added toughness right off the bat IMO. With Will on board I say so what if we have to put spittoons in the dugout...I think a little mess is worth the long-term benefits.

I don't know how many recruiting connections Erstad has in California, but Bolt was the head coach of Texarkana College (2-year community college) in Texarkana, Texas. I suspect he has quite a few connections in north and east Texas.

Not sounding like it.

Of course I have some reservations. I think most people feel that Erstad's hire was a little bit of a gamble. After all, Erstad and Bolt have a combined total of 1 year of experience at the Division 1 level (Erstad's stint as a volunteer coach last spring). That is a concern. The good news is that most of the talent on last year's team was very young. That should help them tremendously next year. If all of the eligible pitchers return, I think we will be very good next year. I will be anxiously awaiting the first game next spring.

Of course I have some reservations. I think most people feel that Erstad's hire was a little bit of a gamble. After all, Erstad and Bolt have a combined total of 1 year of experience at the Division 1 level (Erstad's stint as a volunteer coach last spring). That is a concern. The good news is that most of the talent on last year's team was very young. That should help them tremendously next year. If all of the eligible pitchers return, I think we will be very good next year. I will be anxiously awaiting the first game next spring.

So Bolt's two years at A&M and one year at NU does not count? :confused:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back