• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Wilderness Mastery

Bean

Grey Shirt
10 Year Member

1584884127968.png

Last edited:

I've been looking for a good backpack that doesn't weigh heavy on my back and shoulders and am looking at these.
I've got 4 different backpacks. Each one serves it's purpose of course. One of my faves, I paid a whopping $10 bucks for, because the retailer was in bankruptcy, and was liquidating everything in sight. The right backpack for the hike or backpacking trip makes all the difference to the enjoyment or discomfort going up hill. Shoes are an even bigger deal.... Cool thread.

Spend the money on a good back pack. I bought several cheap ones over the years and they all sucked at varying levels. Was in a gander mountain a couple years back and found a good one. Got it over half off but the $60 I spent has been worth it for several hunting excursions.

Spend the money on a good back pack. I bought several cheap ones over the years and they all sucked at varying levels. Was in a gander mountain a couple years back and found a good one. Got it over half off but the $60 I spent has been worth it for several hunting excursions.
What was the brand/model?

I think it was just a Gander Mtn branded one. Several different pockets and compartments, flat bottom so it doesn't tip over easily. Good shoulder straps and also the buckle/strap that comes around the waist. Has worked well for deer hunting and also for turkey and coyote hunting. Sits on the back nicely on the long walks in and out of the field.

Good website.

View attachment 39897

Maybe it's just a coincidence and an editorial oversight, but I can't say that I was impressed by the first picture on the first article that I saw when I clicked on your "Fishing" link above. Here's what I saw:

Baitcasting.jpg

Do I want to take advice on buying a baitcasting reel from a place that apparently doesn't know that a fly reel is NOT a baitcasting reel?

Lots of stuff in one place.

But I also had an issue with the first article I read... I'm not in favor of using .223 for deer hunting (and the guy didn't specify the difference between .223 Remington & .223 "Winchester", which I assume is WSSM).

Last edited:

Good website.

View attachment 39897

@Bean, this whole site looks like its set up as clickbait. They make money when you click through to Amazon and eventually make a purchase because Amazon gives them a small tip for the click-through. I'm seeing article after article in fishing that has the wrong sort of gear on the cover picture of the article, and I'm seeing a lot of article titles that have the not-quite-right sound and syntax of someone who didn't grow up speaking English. The handful of articles that I looked at were basically just promos that quoted stuff from the Amazon pages that it was linking to. There is jargon and actual knowledge mixed throughout, but a lot of it is used incorrectly, and a lot of it doesn't even belong where it is based on the article's title.

I'm NOT the guy to tell you much about buying a backpack--though I do have several exterior-frame military jobs if anyone is interested ;-)--but I wouldn't take anything on that site more seriously than how much I'd weigh a review on Amazon.

Last edited:
@Bean, this whole site looks like its set up as clickbait. They make money when you click through to Amazon and eventually make a purchase because Amazon gives them a small tip for the click-through. I'm seeing article after article in fishing that has the wrong sort of gear on the cover picture of the article, and I'm seeing a lot of article titles that have the not-quite-right sound and syntax of someone who didn't grow up speaking English. The handful of articles that I looked at were basically just promos that quoted stuff from the Amazon pages that it was linking to. There is jargon and actual knowledge mixed throughout, but a lot of it is used incorrectly, and a lot of it doesn't even belong where it is based on the article's title.

I'm NOT the guy to tell you much about buying a backpack--though I do have several exterior-frame military jobs if anyone is interested ;-)--but I wouldn't take anything on that site more seriously than how much I'd weigh a review on Amazon.
I think you're right, now that I read a couple more articles.

Seems like a good website; lots of stuff in one place.

But I also had an issue with the first article I read... I'm not in favor of using .223 for deer hunting (and the guy didn't specify the difference between .223 Remington & .223 "Winchester", which I assume is WSSM).
Something is off. Everything has the feel of some folks in Hong Kong trying to pretend to write about outdoor products with authority, but they're just repackaging what they're getting elsewhere so as to get you to click through to the Amazon page so they can get a small payment off of you.

Anything wrong with the picture for this article?

Backpacking Fly Rod.jpg

Click on every one of these articles, and the first picture you'll see is something that is NOT what the article is supposedly "expertly" telling you about:

• I've never known anyone to think of a Jitterbug as being a walleye lure.
  • South Dakota isn't exactly saltwater central, so I'm no expert, but isn't that a snook that he's holding in the picture?
  • "How to String a Fishing Pole" -- Seriously? First, the picture shows him putting line on a reel. How many "experts" do you know who A) refer to fishing line as "string," B) refer to a fishing rod as a "pole," or C) would refer to putting line on a reel as "stringing a pole?" This guy is not a native English speaker.

Check out this article on "Best Trout Lures: Equip Yourself to Allure All the Fish." (By the way, notice the improper use of the word "allure" in the title.)

Here's a list of "trout lures" from that article:

Product NameWeightMaterialsTypePrice
Bomber Heavy Duty Long A7/8 oz.Polycarbonate bodyMinnowsCheck price on Amazon
Curly Tail Mister Twister1.6 oz.PlasticJigCheck price on Amazon
Reliable 908 Bunker Spoon14 oz.SteelSpoonCheck price on Amazon
Sea Striker 890 Cedar Plug5.6 oz.WoodPlugCheck price on Amazon
Original Eppinger Dardevle Spoon0.8 oz.SteelSpoonCheck price on Amazon
Creek Chub Pikie Jointed2.4 oz.Plastic polymerSwimbaitCheck price on Amazon
Rapala X-Rap XR100.4375 oz.Polycarbonate bodyMinnowsCheck price on Amazon
Panther Martin Spinner1/8 oz.SteelSpinnerCheck price on Amazon

If any of you fellas are catching trout on a 14 oz bunker spoon, I want to fish with you! Ditto for a 5.6 oz cedar plug. I fish for trout about as often as possible, and I'm not above using any means possible, yet it's never occurred to me that I might be missing out on a top "trout lure" by not throwing some of my grandpa's old Creek Chub Pikies:
1584925171936.png

Here's another fun article on "Best Bait for for Trout: Fishing in the Wilderness:"

First of all, I was naive enough to think that an article entitled "Best Bait for Trout" would focus on talking about, oh, I don't know ... fishing for trout with bait? It's not the most poetic, aesthetically pleasing method of catching trout, but this is (supposedly) a wilderness survival site, and bait will get trout on your hook, so sure. What I did NOT expect to read in an article with that title was some of these gems:
  1. DRIFT/ GILL NETS
    Although illegal to use in North America and most of Europe, the owning of nets is not and so a net of some description is a common Bug Out Bag item for many preppers.

Their “set and forget” nature make them an ideal food provider.
  2. POISON
    There are some naturally occurring poisons that can be used to great effect in shallow waters to harvest a great amount of fish through relatively little effort (though the damming of the area to be poisoned and collection and processing of the toxin should be taken into account).

Amazonian Indian tribes use the technique on a semi-regular basis, but without their encyclopedic knowledge of local natural toxins (that won’t remain in the fish flesh once prepared), it is perhaps one that should be avoided except in extremes.
  3. ARTIFICIAL FLIES
    Though you may be tempted to think that the elaborate bits of fluff whipped around by city dwelling sports fishermen have no place in an article on trout fishing in the wilderness you need to think again.

Those fly patterns, with their ridiculous names (“Hairy Dog Nobbler”, “Silver Doctor” and “Greenwell’s Glory” to name but three) have proved themselves as fish catchers, some for over a hundred years.
  4. NO FLIES? NO PROBLEM – MAKE YOUR OWN!
    Many bug out survival kits contain a few fishing hooks – these can easily be turned into workable artificial fly patterns using only natural materials. At all times remember THE FISH DO NOT KNOW THAT YOU DID NOT PAY FOR THE FLY!
    [The video link below follows in exactly the same place in the article, and the video shows you how to tie something for fishing: a floating indicator, which is the fly fishing equivalent of a bobber..... Also, fyi, the instructions are in Icelandic, so I hope you're fluent.]
  5. [While it's tough to top a link to an Icelandic website on tying fly-tying bobbers as a means of becoming a better wilderness survivalist, I think that the section entitled "Spinners, Spoons, and Plugs" comes remarkably close. The section's text and info mostly isn't that bad--still often off by just a tad--but then there's this wonderful photograph included of some trout "plugs"...]

1584926160108.png

[Those are musky lures, folks. I can't remember the name, but they look like a brand that sells what I think they call either "One-pounder" or "Two-pounder" because that's how much these freaking lures weigh. I've been too naive to throw them at the trout that I'm trying to catch, which usually weigh about a pound, occasionally two pounds. Apparently, I've been missing out.]

This website is a classic. I'm going to bookmark it.

Last edited:
Something is off. Everything has the feel of some folks in Hong Kong trying to pretend to write about outdoor products with authority, but they're just repackaging what they're getting elsewhere so as to get you to click through to the Amazon page so they can get a small payment off of you.

Anything wrong with the picture for this article?

View attachment 39938

Click on every one of these articles, and the first picture you'll see is something that is NOT what the article is supposedly "expertly" telling you about:

• I've never known anyone to think of a Jitterbug as being a walleye lure.
  • South Dakota isn't exactly saltwater central, so I'm no expert, but isn't that a snook that he's holding in the picture?
  • "How to String a Fishing Pole" -- Seriously? First, the picture shows him putting line on a reel. How many "experts" do you know who A) refer to fishing line as "string," B) refer to a fishing rod as a "pole," or C) would refer to putting line on a reel as "stringing a pole?" This guy is not a native English speaker.

Check out this article on "Best Trout Lures: Equip Yourself to Allure All the Fish." (By the way, notice the improper use of the word "allure" in the title.)

Here's a list of "trout lures" from that article:

Product NameWeightMaterialsTypePrice
Bomber Heavy Duty Long A7/8 oz.Polycarbonate bodyMinnowsCheck price on Amazon
Curly Tail Mister Twister1.6 oz.PlasticJigCheck price on Amazon
Reliable 908 Bunker Spoon14 oz.SteelSpoonCheck price on Amazon
Sea Striker 890 Cedar Plug5.6 oz.WoodPlugCheck price on Amazon
Original Eppinger Dardevle Spoon0.8 oz.SteelSpoonCheck price on Amazon
Creek Chub Pikie Jointed2.4 oz.Plastic polymerSwimbaitCheck price on Amazon
Rapala X-Rap XR100.4375 oz.Polycarbonate bodyMinnowsCheck price on Amazon
Panther Martin Spinner1/8 oz.SteelSpinnerCheck price on Amazon

If any of you fellas are catching trout on a 14 oz bunker spoon, I want to fish with you! Ditto for a 5.6 oz cedar plug. I fish for trout about as often as possible, and I'm not above using any means possible, yet it's never occurred to me that I might be missing out on a top "trout lure" by not throwing some of my grandpa's old Creek Chub Pikies:
View attachment 39936

Here's another fun article on "Best Bait for for Trout: Fishing in the Wilderness:"

First of all, I was naive enough to think that an article entitled "Best Bait for Trout" would focus on talking about, oh, I don't know ... fishing for trout with bait? It's not the most poetic, aesthetically pleasing method of catching trout, but this is (supposedly) a wilderness survival site, and bait will get trout on your hook, so sure. What I did NOT expect to read in an article with that title was some of these gems:
  1. DRIFT/ GILL NETS
    Although illegal to use in North America and most of Europe, the owning of nets is not and so a net of some description is a common Bug Out Bag item for many preppers.

Their “set and forget” nature make them an ideal food provider.
  2. POISON
    There are some naturally occurring poisons that can be used to great effect in shallow waters to harvest a great amount of fish through relatively little effort (though the damming of the area to be poisoned and collection and processing of the toxin should be taken into account).

Amazonian Indian tribes use the technique on a semi-regular basis, but without their encyclopedic knowledge of local natural toxins (that won’t remain in the fish flesh once prepared), it is perhaps one that should be avoided except in extremes.
  3. ARTIFICIAL FLIES
    Though you may be tempted to think that the elaborate bits of fluff whipped around by city dwelling sports fishermen have no place in an article on trout fishing in the wilderness you need to think again.

Those fly patterns, with their ridiculous names (“Hairy Dog Nobbler”, “Silver Doctor” and “Greenwell’s Glory” to name but three) have proved themselves as fish catchers, some for over a hundred years.
  4. NO FLIES? NO PROBLEM – MAKE YOUR OWN!
    Many bug out survival kits contain a few fishing hooks – these can easily be turned into workable artificial fly patterns using only natural materials. At all times remember THE FISH DO NOT KNOW THAT YOU DID NOT PAY FOR THE FLY!
    [The video link below follows in exactly the same place in the article, and the video shows you how to tie something for fishing: a floating indicator, which is the fly fishing equivalent of a bobber..... Also, fyi, the instructions are in Icelandic, so I hope you're fluent.]
  5. [While it's tough to top a link to an Icelandic website on tying fly-tying bobbers as a means of becoming a better wilderness survivalist, I think that the section entitled "Spinners, Spoons, and Plugs" comes remarkably close. The section's text and info mostly isn't that bad--still often off by just a tad--but then there's this wonderful photograph included of some trout "plugs"...]

View attachment 39937

[Those are musky lures, folks. I can't remember the name, but they look like a brand that sells what I think they call either "One-pounder" or "Two-pounder" because that's how much these freaking lures weigh. I've been too naive to throw them at the trout that I'm trying to catch, which usually weigh about a pound, occasionally two pounds. Apparently, I've been missing out.]

This website is a classic. I'm going to bookmark it.

I obviously didn't read through any of that. I just thought it was a good thread because of being outdoors and hiking and fishing. Thanks for pointing all this out Coach.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back