• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Wichita State's Gregg Marshall reportedly spurns NU offer

...only thing worse than the Nebraska job to some coaches would be being the second choice for the Nebraska job. This offer being leaked is monumentally bad news for the program.

Many of you wanted Nebraska to be in this position, now you need to try to not over-react with every bit of news that's either intentionally or inadvertently leaked. It means nothing at this point as much of it is smoke as people on both sides are jockeying for position.

Somebody that's leaking that they aren't interested today could very well be the person that we hire once they finally get down to the nuts and bolts.

Believe TO when he states that no offer has been made to this point. That's not to say that initial feelers haven't been put out there to see where people stand at any certain level.

People need to show a little patience.

Haven't heard of anybody refusing to get on a plane left idling on the tarmac that's headed for Lincoln yet.

God I hate agreeing with fRed.

1. If the first person offered/approached/whatever you want to call it accepts it's quite possible that you weren't shooting high enough.

2. Smart was a pipe dream. But a pipe dream everyone wanted. Apparently they tried and got shot down. At least they tried.

3. Same with Marshall, Groce, etc. Those are the hot names. All you can do is try. If they say no so be it.

4. Just because you end up taking your 4th-5th-8th choice doesn't mean that guy sucks. I know I'm considered an Altman homer but he definitely wasn't Oregon's 1st choice. I'm guessing the vast majority of OU fans are pleased with the direction of the program right now.

5. In the past around here (NU circles) people think an AD should practically have a guy already lined up to take the job if you fire a coach. That's simply not the way it works 90% of the time.

NU will get a coach. Odds are it's not going to be the "wow" hire that many of you expected/demanded. COULD be...but not likely.

...only thing worse than the Nebraska job to some coaches would be being the second choice for the Nebraska job. This offer being leaked is monumentally bad news for the program.

Or, it is a chance for Marshall's people to tell Illinois what it will take to get him. Do read too much into this. As long as Illinois is still looking, NU is not going to get the top candidate. Once Illinois makes their hire, the Huskers will be in a better position to offer a real opportunity.

Many of you wanted Nebraska to be in this position, now you need to try to not over-react with every bit of news that's either intentionally or inadvertently leaked. It means nothing at this point as much of it is smoke as people on both sides are jockeying for position.

Somebody that's leaking that they aren't interested today could very well be the person that we hire once they finally get down to the nuts and bolts.

Believe TO when he states that no offer has been made to this point. That's not to say that initial feelers haven't been put out there to see where people stand at any certain level.

People need to show a little patience.

Haven't heard of anybody refusing to get on a plane left idling on the tarmac that's headed for Lincoln yet.

Dead on.

As bold as this may be, I say fire T.O.(if that's even a possibility)!! He seems to lack the AD prowless.

Tell me this is a joke. We don't know, but for all we do know, T.O. may have the best possible plan and the best possible execution for this hire. The football coach job at NU has status - the basketball coach job not so much. He's going to have to kiss some frogs. If he gets used along the way by some coaches wanting to build up their own market value by letting it be known they turned it down, that's not great for us, but it's not unexpected.

As bold as this may be, I say fire T.O.(if that's even a possibility)!! He seems to lack the AD prowless.

That may be one of the most uneducated comment I have ever seen.

TO has probably done more than anybody has ever done for our basketball program. He came in after years of neglect from the administration, for whatever reason.

Under TO many of the obstacles that helped cause Danny Nee's run to tail off, an otherwise successful Barry Collier's reputation plummet, Doc not able to get things going in a positive direction on the court are being remedied.

Facility upgrades have and are happening. Private planes are more accessible for recruiting than has ever been the case, the budget is in much, much better shape and spending is up for the basketball programs, etc.

The next step is getting over the hump. Figuring out how to recruit to Nebraska. More tools are in place to aid the next staff than have ever been in place before.

Total miss on your part. TO may be our greatest asset in regards to attracting the right person as our next coach.

Last edited:

Why?

What has he done? He holds a nice clipboard, I guess.

So did Tom before Bob said "Here you go." He's holding that clipboard while learning from one of the best coaches around how to recruit, run practice, handle game situations, and everything else.

So did Tom before Bob said "Here you go." He's holding that clipboard while learning from one of the best coaches around how to recruit, run practice, handle game situations, and everything else.

So, what has he done to give you reason to think that he'd be successful in those areas?

Willis Reed had a much better NBA career. How did he do as a Head Coach?

So, what has he done to give you reason to think that he'd be successful in those areas?

Willis Reed had a much better NBA career. How did he do as a Head Coach?

Since he joined the KU staff he has turned every F & C into a dominant inside player.

Manning is one of the greatest college players of all-time, had a solid NBA career and more importantly, as has been stated above, he has been a student under one of the greatest overall coaches in the college game today.

Can you imagine if KU had your attitude - they would have never hired Roy Williams.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back