• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Wichita State's Gregg Marshall reportedly spurns NU offer

The funny part is as these "wow" hires keep dropping like flies those that consider Dana Altman to be some sort of joke are going to be begging for him shortly.

I imagine we'll know if DA is a candidate within a few days now that he's done with the NIT.

That is exactly how he was hired and percieved when hired at Oregon. He was WAY down their list.

I would be alright with Altman. But ONLY if we had searched far and wide and guaged interest and maybe were turned down by others first. I don't think he is or should be a top choice. Tom knows him. So he doesn't have to "explore" what he'd get with him. Go look at others first.

Years of treating men's basketball as an afterthought by the Athletic Department (especially under Byrne and Pederson) appears to have permanently delegated Nebraska to second-rate status.

All TO needs to do is point to the attendance & interest in the Women's Basketball and Volleyball teams and the baseball team to know that Nebraska fans will support a competitive Men's Basketball team. It is not that we are apathetic; it is just hard to be very emotionally invested in a mediocre team.

I've stated on other threads; I don't think we can expect to get the 'big-name' candidates based on our current reputation. We'll either need to take another chance on a potentially up and coming coach or a retread who is wanting to get back into coaching. For example, I know many think of Bruce Weber has having had a chance to succeed at Illinois; but, he is a solid coach and might do well at a program with lower expectations than Illinois. There is a difference between building a program (like he did at Southern Illinois) and maintaining an elite program (like at Illinois).

Remember Bo Ryan now a household name in the BIG was better known for his D3 championships at UW-Platteville than for anything else. He really built UW into the program they are. I think NU can be UW-esque with basketball.

Remember Bo Ryan now a household name in the BIG was better known for his D3 championships at UW-Platteville than for anything else. He really built UW into the program they are. I think NU can be UW-esque with basketball.​

But here's the question: Are fans willing to give a coach time to build a program like Wisky's? How many years do you think that will take? The cupboard not only is bare at DONU, but the cupboards need to be built!!!

I really don't believe actual offers where given to all these guys. With so many of the coaches they must have interest in still playing in tournaments such as Dana Altman I can't believe we have been out there just tossing out offers.

I understand Altman is no longer in the tourney but that would mean these offers have all been given within the last day or so and I just don't believe that has happened.

"Offer" might be in the eye of the beholder.

Maybe Marshall or he reps were approached about interviewing or "strong interest". The number $2M +/- was thrown out IF an offer eventually came. Marshall said not interested. If it went something like that it would still mean he's not interested in the job for $2M a year.

If our budget is $1 million or less then I would consider an ex-assistant from Duke who is young and can recruit.

Many of you wanted Nebraska to be in this position, now you need to try to not over-react with every bit of news that's either intentionally or inadvertently leaked. It means nothing at this point as much of it is smoke as people on both sides are jockeying for position.

Somebody that's leaking that they aren't interested today could very well be the person that we hire once they finally get down to the nuts and bolts.

Believe TO when he states that no offer has been made to this point. That's not to say that initial feelers haven't been put out there to see where people stand at any certain level.

People need to show a little patience.

Haven't heard of anybody refusing to get on a plane left idling on the tarmac that's headed for Lincoln yet.

Years of treating men's basketball as an afterthought by the Athletic Department (especially under Byrne and Pederson) appears to have permanently delegated Nebraska to second-rate status.

NOT sure where you have been, this has been going on for 100 years, think your rather short sighted in your analysis of Bryne/Petersen. I know lots of you want to blame EVERYTHING on Petersen , but really??? roflmao

Last edited:

Remember Bo Ryan now a household name in the BIG was better known for his D3 championships at UW-Platteville than for anything else. He really built UW into the program they are. I think NU can be UW-esque with basketball.

Well it wasn't like Ryan was taking over a horrible program. Wisconsin made a Final 4 two seasons before he took over. Still, he's been able to maintain a level of success at Wisconsin that NU could only dream of at this point.

I guess I fail why Marshall saying "no" is so surprising. Is it the amount mentioned? My guess is Marshall sees himself as a coach who could land a better job. Nothing wrong with that. I personally thought NU wasn't going to land the "hot" mid-major coaches this time around. May as well start looking at those top assistants.

But here's the question: Are fans willing to give a coach time to build a program like Wisky's? How many years do you think that will take? The cupboard not only is bare at DONU, but the cupboards need to be built!!!
I'm not sure I agree with you on the "time" issue.

NU has addressed all of the structural issues - new practice facility, new stadium ...

You need to find a coach and (very important) assistants that can recruit players to the program. In my opinion within the BIG ... Michigan State, Ohio State and Inidiana are at a different level. NU with the right coach (and budget to pay assistants) can quickly compete almost immediately with Iowa, Minnesota, Northwestern, Illinois, Penn State. Wisconsin, Purdue and Michigan are on a different but more attainable level.

Its all about getting the right players. Get into Kansas City, St. Louis, Minneapolis, Denver, Chicago and recruit with the big boys.

It is all about the getting the right coach now. Recruits do not care about where they are playing. If Hoiberg can turn Iowa State around in two years ... the right coach can do so at Lincoln!

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back