• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigRedOhio

Travel Squad
10 Year Member
Some people like my post, some don't. Whatever, but one thing you will always get with me is brutal honesty. I know what championship sports look like (as do many on here). So here is what I thought happened in Columbus.

#1. Wisconsin - I think Wisky is our rival. I think our team was significantly more focused on Wisky because there is more history. When we lost to Wisky, somehow our guys forgot that they had to play an even better opponent in an even tougher environment in Cbus. We essentially lost to Wisconsin twice this year. Big 10 scheduling has been awful in regards to OSU. They've had the advantage of playing us after our rivalry game several years now. People can say whatever, but its extremely difficult to get up two weeks in a row. (ask OSU why they lost to PSU)

#2. Post game interviews - I watched all of our players and coaches post-game interviews and only felt like two people were bothered to their core by the loss. One was Mike Riley and the other was Dylan Utter. Heard other players and coaches say that they were not ready to play, etc... Had an old coach say that you have to hate to lose to learn how to win. Not hearing that enough from this staff or team.

#3. No identity - Right now, Nebraska has no identity on offense. Can someone tell me what offense we run? I've been watching Riley's program for 2 years and I have no idea. Are we a running team or are we a passing team? Offense has been a mess.

#4. Injuries - this is something that has bothered me for some time now. Its a hard thing to talk about because, there are always legitimate injuries that occur during a season. But I feel like our team (the past 10 years) always seems to be littered with injuries. I'm not sure if we're snake bit or hyper-sensitive to injuries here. Whatever the reason, I'm tired of it and hope it improves.

#5. Committed to Championships - I hope this is our goal. Urban Meyer has made Nebraska look stupid twice in the last several years because he has an unrelenting desire to win championships. Winning is a choice, not an accident. I wonder if Nebraska still has that burning relentless desire to win championships?

Just my thoughts after tonight. Fire away.

Last edited:

We do seem to have a lot more injuries than most of the teams we play against. I don't know if it's just bad luck or if there is something more to it.

Last edited:

We do seem to have a lot more injuries than most of the teams we play against. I don't know if it's just bad luck or if there is something more to it.
I wish I knew my friend. It really seems to be destroying our offensive line the past several years. I'm guessing a lot teams deal with it, but seems to be worse here.

Last edited:

Some people like my post, some don't. Whatever, but one thing you will always get with me is brutal honesty. I know what championship sports look like (as do many on here). So here is what I thought happened in Columbus.

#1. Wisconsin - I think Wisky is our rival. I think our team was significantly more focused on Wisky because there is more history. When we lost to Wisky, somehow our guys forgot that they had to play an even better opponent in an even tougher environment in Cbus. We essentially lost to Wisconsin twice this year. Big 10 scheduling has been awful in regards to OSU. They've had the advantage of playing us after our rivalry game several years now. People can say whatever, but its extremely difficult to get up two weeks in a row. (ask OSU why they lost to PSU)

#2. Post game interviews - I watched all of our players and coaches post-game interviews and only felt like two people were bothered to their core by the loss. One was Mike Riley and the other was Dylan Utter. Heard other players and coaches say that they were not ready to play, etc... Had an old coach say that you have to hate to lose to learn how to win. Not hearing that enough from this staff or team.

#3. No identity - Right now, Nebraska has no identity on offense. Can someone tell me what offense we run? I've been watching Riley's program for 2 years and I have no idea. Are we a running team or are we a passing team? Offense has been a mess.

#4. Injuries - this is something that has bothered me for some time now. Its a hard thing to talk about because, there are always legitimate injuries that occur during a season. But I feel like our team (the past 10 years) always seems to be littered with injuries. I'm not sure if we're snake bit or hyper-sensitive to injuries here. Whatever the reason, I'm tired of it and hope it improves.

#5. Committed to Championships - I hope this is our goal. Urban Meyer has made Nebraska look stupid twice in the last several years because he has an unrelenting desire to win championships. Winning is a choice, not an accident. I wonder if Nebraska still has that burning relentless desire to win championships?

A lot of truth in this.

Thoughtful post. I think UNL has a good football team. If they win out from here they will be the 5th best team in the Big 10.

To me it is not that UNL is that bad, it is more about tOSU being that good. Prior to the game I said the tOSU would try to use UNL as a springboard to another NC run...and they spring-boarded us but good.

tOSU played an outstanding game. We all want UNL to play at that level one day. UNL has a lot of work to do.

Last edited:

I think the offensive identity problem lies with the QB not really fitting what the staff wants to do on offense.

That said, until the OL gets its (!) together, no offensive system is going to work.

Anyone who thought we were going to compete well against Tosu this year was living in fantasy land even after the 7-0 start. As to the nonsense posted in OP, a lot of that will take shape during the next year or 2. MR was saddled with a team with just above average overall talent, no QB's that were remotely close to being able to run his system (or any other system), mediocre RB's, a mediocre OL with no depth, and a bunch of malcontents in the DL ready to jump ship at the earliest moment. He's work wonders to get us to where we are, but much is still left to be done. We need to upgrade the talent on the team, add depth, and find talented skill players, especially QB's, WR's and RB's that are fully able to run MR's scheme. We also need fans and media to quit bellyaching that MR hasn't turned a pig's ear into a silk purse overnight. We were never going to be great this year, if you didn't understand that...you are beyond help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back