• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Why so long on making changes?

Nebraska Red

Red Shirt
2 Year Member
So many of us questioned who was playing alot early this season especially some of the wide receivers. Now we make changes on the line and boom we split NW wide open and AM has all kinds of time to pass. So my question to the masses is who else needs to see more time and why are our coaches not seeing it? I get why Yant was not playing and I commend Coach on having expectations for his players. But dang we could have used Yant alot earlier for sure. Hopefully the young man does the right thing for his body and for our team. For me I still think Right guard is a weakness. Love how we got Teddy in the lineup. Nourli was great. Now lets find 1 more masher at Right guard and I'll be stoked

So my question to the masses is who else needs to see more time and why are our coaches not seeing it? I get why Yant was not playing and I commend Coach on having expectations for his players. But dang we could have used Yant alot earlier for sure. Hopefully the young man does the right thing for his body and for our team.
Perhaps the Coach set a goal for a player, with the stipulation that that goal be met before the player is allowed to reap the rewards. "Rewarding" the player before the goal is met kind of defeats the purpose and sends the wrong message, doesn't it?

Remember in 'Hoosiers' when a player didn't do what was expected of him, so the coach benched him? Then later in the game fielded a team with only 4 players? I'm sure a lot of people thought they could have used that player sooner as well.

Discipline is needed to win games, or be successful at anything. A good coach doesn't just want to win games; he also wants to turn boys into disciplined young men.

Last edited:
A whole litany of reasons, almost all of which have been answered above. Maybe Yant now is not the same as Yant was in August. Read several instances where goals were set and he had not met them until recently. Maybe the staff wanted to consider preserving OLine redshirts, didn't happen. Making adjustments all season long is far from unconventional. I think they have finally found a perfect combo for B1G play.

Agree with the Yant deal, but my beef is a bit more with receivers and the oline. I'm still not fully sold that some of our position coaches can really evaluate who should be starting. You can roll your eyes or beat your head on the wall, but clearly some adjustments were needed and the game proved that out. Hopefully these are things that can be identified earlier in coming seasons.

Agree with the Yant deal, but my beef is a bit more with receivers and the oline. I'm still not fully sold that some of our position coaches can really evaluate who should be starting. You can roll your eyes or beat your head on the wall, but clearly some adjustments were needed and the game proved that out. Hopefully these are things that can be identified earlier in coming seasons.

There could be 50 little things in a game a receiver isn't doing, but all the fans see is a great catch they made.

Mistakes are part of any learning curve with exceptions of things like bomb defusing! That's a one time mistake! Just kidding. However when the same player makes the SAME mistake over and over I start blaming the coach. The number of false start penalties on some OL individuals was beyond ridicilous imo. Those players BELONGED on the bench and the so called lessor talented players should have been in the game. Besides the ST non play those OL penalties really helped lose us several games the past couple of years. Once again that blame rests squarely on the coaching staff imo.

Last edited:

Mistakes are part of any learning curve with exceptions of things like bomb defusing! That's a one time mistake! Just kidding. However when the same player makes the SAME mistake over and over I start blaming the coach. The number of false start penalties on some OL individuals was beyond ridicilous imo. Those players BELONGED on the bench and the so called lessor talented players should have been in the game. Besides the ST non play those OL penalties really helped lose us several games the past couple of years. Once again that blame rests squarely on the coaching staff imo.
Since we saw receivers benched, linemen benched, a QB benched, RBs benched, what is your point?

So many of us questioned who was playing alot early this season especially some of the wide receivers. Now we make changes on the line and boom we split NW wide open and AM has all kinds of time to pass. So my question to the masses is who else needs to see more time and why are our coaches not seeing it? I get why Yant was not playing and I commend Coach on having expectations for his players. But dang we could have used Yant alot earlier for sure. Hopefully the young man does the right thing for his body and for our team. For me I still think Right guard is a weakness. Love how we got Teddy in the lineup. Nourli was great. Now lets find 1 more masher at Right guard and I'll be stoked
Really simple. We have coaches who either lack judgment or wear rose colored glasses.

I am ecstatic that the changes worked but I am displayed but not surprised with SF ineptitude

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back