• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

why not move the college baseball season back a month?

Husker Country Doc

Heisman
20 Year Member
I mean, really, why not?

It could start after March Madness, and end just prior to the start of CFB.

You could throw softball in there, too. We've wanted to go to NU SB games, but by the time things slow up in the spring, the softballers only have a few home games left.

This has been brought up numerous times by the northern schools. It hasn't received a lot of traction for one reason, because the southern schools aren't for it. It takes away their advantage.

And really, waiting until the end of march madness would be pushing it back almost two months, and the CWS would be finishing when the next school year is starting for a lot of schools.

Also, keep in mind that there's no way the NCAA would make such a drastic change to D1 baseball, but not to D2 and D3. I work for a small college (NAIA) athletics department, and while it's not NCAA level, I'd imagine that D2 and D3 schools would have a hard time keeping up with all the logistics of running not one, but two programs while school is out of session for the summer. There's other factors at play as well, like summer wood-bat leagues, guys signing with and reporting to their MLB farm systems. I doubt too many MLB teams would be interested in a college season that lasted until the minor league season was nearly over. Plus, it gets plenty hot in Omaha during the CWS in mid to late June. I don't even want to think about sitting in the stands for those 2pm CWS games in early August.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back