• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Why is the NCAA rewarding schools for Sandusky being a pedophile?

Status
Not open for further replies.

utsker

All Big 10
10 Year Member
Just seems wrong for schollie limits to be adjusted so that schools can benefit from Sandusky's dirty deeds. Give everybody additional schollies or don't give anybody them. Why should Nebraska get an extra schollie for picking up a PSU transfer and Iowa St get nothing just because no one from PSU would want to go there.

I agree.

This hodgepodge approach is creating as many problem as it's solving... if it's "solving" anything at all.

One clarification, though, is that I think the school does have to give up a scholarship in the following year... but the numbers aren't clear to me.

Last edited:
Just seems wrong for schollie limits to be adjusted so that schools can benefit from Sandusky's dirty deeds. Give everybody additional schollies or don't give anybody them. Why should Nebraska get an extra schollie for picking up a PSU transfer and Iowa St get nothing just because no one from PSU would want to go there.

They don't. They have to count that scholarship against next year's recruiting class.

If a student-athlete transfers for the fall of 2012 to a school that has reached its scholarship limits, the school may exceed these numbers for the 2012-13 academic year, provided it reduces such limits proportionately in the 2013-14 academic year. For example, if one student-athlete transfers to a Division I school already at the legislated limits of 25 initial counters and 85 overall counters for 2012-13, the school will be limited to 24 initial counters and 84 overall counters in 2013-14.
http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/ncaa/20120723/21207234

That's not any more a "reward" than something bought on credit with no money down is "free".

Are other bank robbers rewarded when certain robbers are convicted and imprisoned? I suspect so, since they have less competition to rob banks.

Are airports rewarded when a 9/11 occurs? I suppose so, since airports across the nation received $$ millions in new dollars to beef remodel and beef up security.

Are investors rewarded when there is a stock market crash? For the investors waiting on the sidelines, yes.

Are other bank robbers rewarded when certain robbers are convicted and imprisoned? I suspect so, since they have less competition to rob banks.

Are airports rewarded when a 9/11 occurs? I suppose so, since airports across the nation received $$ millions in new dollars to beef remodel and beef up security.

Are investors rewarded when there is a stock market crash? For the investors waiting on the sidelines, yes.

Such is life.

To me, its more about doing something for the athletes that had nothing to do with the situation, than rewarding other schools.

Last edited:
How are you going to enable an athlete to freely transfer without restrictions if you limit the opportunities available to him? 90+% of all schools are at or will be at their scholarship limit. Not allowing them to accept a transfer or even worse making it such that they have to revoke a scholarship already given to an athlete is an anti-athlete postion.

Anything that helps the athlete in my opinion is a positive development.

As for the schools ... as already mentioned they'll either pay the piper this year or next.

As others have said, the new school must "absorb" that scholarship next year.

It's pretty darn late in the game to really make adjustments this season. Can you imagine if a Penn State DT came to Nebraska and Bo turned around and cut Steinkuhler or Rome? Total bush league.

The one year "freebie" protects the exiting players and gives them a full calendar year to test their mettle with another squad. I actually think it's perfect because it doesn't harm those players and hamstringing their chances with another team. Otherwise they'd all wind up playing for Temple or San Diego State.

One advantage to this is for seniors. Since they only have one season left, they get a free pass at any school. A guy like Silas Redd could transfer just about anywhere and make a splash without too much repercussion. Honestly, the Huskers should make a play for him, IMO. He's like a free one-year sniper. Just plug him in where needed and reap the benefits. No loss in scholarships and our HB stable is beefed up.

Plus, a guy like that could bring in a wealth of information to the other players and coaches. He's probably got a few "go-to" plays up his sleeve that a smart OC could meld into their attack.

There is no reward you speak of. Normally a couple individuals can put a University in this situation like PSU, USC, SMU, etc, but if there is nothing done to the University to practice institutional control, then everyone will break the rules. Unfortunately this puts the current staff, students, players into being collateral damage. This is the best case senario for the kids who want to transfer, plain and simple. Is it a good situation? No, but how else are you going to manage this from happening again and again and again? If you only punish the individuals involved and not the institution, who's to say a university hires someone to break the rules purposely for competitive advantage or whatever and that individual takes the blame and the University gets off scott free.

Oh and it is all fair game as far as who gets who from PSU. Same goes for recruiting every year.

1. There really isn't going to be that many that will transfer...a handful at the most probably?

2. The relaxed sholarship limit is for this year only as I understand it.

3. I'm sure this was done to give the PSU kids as many options as possible.

Not a big deal.

I think it is very interesting that contrary to popular perception, the NCAA WAS working with Penn St before the sanctions were announced and let them know that if they didn't consent, a 4 yr DP was on the table. The sanctions should have been no surprise to anyone but the public.

will be interisting to see how many really do transfer, i'm thinkin very few, the players are there for education to,

Why would they want to come here more than Iowa State?
Last year we were just as bad as Iowa State, just ask North Western!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back