• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Why is Gerrod Lambrecht allowed to do NIL deals for NU players?

Husker1995

In The Deed The Glory
15 Year Member
Allegedly Gerrod Lambrecht is a big reason Nebraska is under NCAA sanctions. It is also alleged that is why he left Nebraska in disgrace. It was Lambrecht’s job to make sure the program was in compliance with NCAA rules. It is alleged he knowingly and blatantly broke the rules.

Why does the University allow him to do NIL deals for Nebraska players then?

Isn’t the University asking for legal trouble doing this?

“Coincidently, two of Nebraska’s staff members — analyst Rutledge and chief of staff Gerrod Lambrecht — have left the program in the past 17 months. It is unknown if these departures are related to the ongoing investigation.”

How can the university stop players from choosing specific agents? And the university doesn't do the NIL deal anyway. Its betweeen the sponsor and the player with the agent an agent generally of one or the other.

Lambrecht is getting a lot of space on the board lately. I'd never heard of him before but apparently he was SF's guy.

“A prime example is Frost's buddy from Wood River who I hear is a real negative influence on the team. A real jerk. I know Fidone's parents can't stand him, and it could lead to him de-committing. Change starts here.”

How can the university stop players from choosing specific agents? And the university doesn't do the NIL deal anyway. Its betweeen the sponsor and the player with the agent an agent generally of one or the other.

Lambrecht is getting a lot of space on the board lately. I'd never heard of him before but apparently he was SF's guy.
Do you know any resources that describe a school's responsibility on these issues? Can a school help vet offers or do they have to stay away? Eventually, a kid is going to get burned on a deal somewhere and we're going to see some ugly litigation. Curious if the schools will have any liability.

There are some on this board that have looked into this more than I. I just look at it as any commercial contract between an individual (the player) and an organization (the one that pays the money).

The school and the sports program in which the player is involved might benefit indirectly because the player might not get or retain the contract if the tie between him or her and the school is broken, and therefore the player may choose to stay at the school when otherwise he or she might transfer to another. But that's a question for the player and the one who pays him.

In fact in the past (I don't practice anymore) there used to be a tort based on interference with an advantageous relationship that the school might be subject to if it tried to prevent ties between an agent and a player.

Last edited:

Do you know any resources that describe a school's responsibility on these issues? Can a school help vet offers or do they have to stay away? Eventually, a kid is going to get burned on a deal somewhere and we're going to see some ugly litigation. Curious if the schools will have any liability.

The NCAA has abdicated/punted on this issue almost entirely. According to the NCAA legislation on NIL, what UT boosters did in forming a pool of money to entice OL to sign with Texas is completely illegal. Other than NCAA President Mark Emmert saying last year that "some schools" were under investigation for violations of NIL rules, absolutely nothing has happened.

IMO, the next litigation on NIL will come when an international student athlete sues the Federal government because the student F-1 visa rules appear to prevent international student athletes from doing NIL deals. I forget which school he plays for, but there's a current men's basketball player who recently signed an NIL deal and his agent contends that social media posts don't constitute "work" and therefore don't violate visa rules.

I became interested in this issue because Huskers women's basketball players Issie Bourne and Jaz Shelly can't enter into NIL deals here in the US. The only thing Jaz was eventually able to do was sell t-shirts. Overall, NCAA women's basketball players are doing quite well with NIL.

This is a fascinating topic. While not analogous, I see similarities to the regulation of political campaign contributions. It's ostensibly regulated but money always seems to find a way flow in, around, or over the new rules. What's to stop anyone from setting up shell companies that offer NILs while shielding the actual funders from scrutiny? The NCAA certainly isn't equipped to investigate that. It really seems like the NCAA took the worst option in compensating players.

Could the international players enter into NILs with companies in their country of citizenship and have them funded by a US person or orgnization? A little difficult to prove benefit to the ultimate contributor perhaps

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back