• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Why is FL different.

Thus the reason I started the thread. There is something going on.
I don't know if you saw my post in the other thread, so i'll post it here. I went around to other schools in our conference to see what happened with their Florida recruits because it was stated that the uncertainty of us playing due to Covid coupled with being away from home for the Florida kids is a main reason for what caused our issue. While some schools had pipelines to other states, here's what I found with a quick glance:

Maryland signed seven guys from Florida in 2020, none transferred out before the season. Minnesota signed four in their 2020 class, none transferred out before the season. In a "transition class" year for Rutgers where we saw most of our guys leave from 2018 and Rutgers also had to deal with Covid, none of their Florida 2020 recruits left before the season. Penn State had both of their recruits from Florida stay.

Again, that's not saying that zero will enter the portal in 2021, or that if there was a school with a California or Texas connection that they didn't have guys transfer out right away. That's just a quick glance at other schools in the same situation with kids from the same state because we had 5 guys opt out before even being 12 months into our program. We are definitely seeing kids leave at a higher rate than others, pandemic or not. This quote basically solidifies that for me:

I don't think it's a Florida thing. Other schools in our conference thrive with Florida kids. And I don't think Scott Frost comes with that statement publicly if our guys leaving was truly about a once in a century pandemic. And let's be real, our staff did a great job identifying Braxton Clark from Florida, if we signed five of those guys they are probably still here. Marvin Scott III is still here and he's a Florida recruit.

As i've said all along, you have to get the right kids. 3 of the 5 that transferred out we got a commitment from the last week heading to signing day and we were late pushes for all 3 of them. Recruit more of the kids that Indiana is after, recruit more Braxton Clarks and we are fine. Just can't put ourselves in a bind looking for 50% of our class the last week of the signing period. You get stuck with guys that are still available for a reason, or guys that truly may not even be ready to make a decision like a Jaiden Francois.

I could be way off base here, but maybe rather than being a thing about where the recruits are from, it's about who our main contacts are in Florida, and/or which staff coach(es) primarily are the point people for that area. Perhaps their character/"fit" evaluations aren't as honed in.

That still seems a little odd since almost the whole staff was down there at UCF just 3 years ago, but I would be surprised if this didn't come back somehow to process, rather than geography.

I don't know if you saw my post in the other thread, so i'll post it here. I went around to other schools in our conference to see what happened with their Florida recruits because it was stated that the uncertainty of us playing due to Covid coupled with being away from home for the Florida kids is a main reason for what caused our issue. While some schools had pipelines to other states, here's what I found with a quick glance:

Maryland signed seven guys from Florida in 2020, none transferred out before the season. Minnesota signed four in their 2020 class, none transferred out before the season. In a "transition class" year for Rutgers where we saw most of our guys leave from 2018 and Rutgers also had to deal with Covid, none of their Florida 2020 recruits left before the season. Penn State had both of their recruits from Florida stay.

Again, that's not saying that zero will enter the portal in 2021, or that if there was a school with a California or Texas connection that they didn't have guys transfer out right away. That's just a quick glance at other schools in the same situation with kids from the same state because we had 5 guys opt out before even being 12 months into our program. We are definitely seeing kids leave at a higher rate than others, pandemic or not. This quote basically solidifies that for me:

I don't think it's a Florida thing. Other schools in our conference thrive with Florida kids. And I don't think Scott Frost comes with that statement publicly if our guys leaving was truly about a once in a century pandemic. And let's be real, our staff did a great job identifying Braxton Clark from Florida, if we signed five of those guys they are probably still here. Marvin Scott III is still here and he's a Florida recruit.

As i've said all along, you have to get the right kids. 3 of the 5 that transferred out we got a commitment from the last week heading to signing day and we were late pushes for all 3 of them. Recruit more of the kids that Indiana is after, recruit more Braxton Clarks and we are fine. Just can't put ourselves in a bind looking for 50% of our class the last week of the signing period. You get stuck with guys that are still available for a reason, or guys that truly may not even be ready to make a decision like a Jaiden Francois.

I do not disagree with what you are saying but my point in the OP was that this precedes HCSF. It is more pronounced now because he has recruited heavier there. However historically we have had transferes at a very high rate from FL. Beck was another example I gave. TFraz was the exception not the rule for FL kids.

I do not disagree with what you are saying but my point in the OP was that this precedes HCSF. It is more pronounced now because he has recruited heavier there. However historically we have had transferes at a very high rate from FL. Beck was another example I gave. TFraz was the exception not the rule for FL kids.
Maybe, i'd want to see the numbers on that. We have people from all over transfer out in my opinion (not just a Frost thing). I think that's the nature of things when at best 50% of your recruiting class can be playing typically.

I just think Frost and the staff he has built need to continue to recruit Florida. I don't believe it's a Florida thing based on some of the info i've posted. But I get the discussion for sure.

So do you walk away from a 4* talent from Florida when you may have lost your plan A or B, and it would fill a position of need? The answer may be in the results of the last couple of years.

I think this is more about wanting to continue the goal of upgrading the ‘talent’, and they jump on to someone with a similar ranking to the person they lost. The problem with that idea is just because an athlete might have similar forty times, or played against similar quality competition, that doesn’t mean they have the same goals academically, socially, in work ethic, in life experience, etc. I think our staff is recognizing that more now, and are adjusting to some degree.

Maybe, i'd want to see the numbers on that. We have people from all over transfer out in my opinion (not just a Frost thing). I think that's the nature of things when at best 50% of your recruiting class can be playing typically.

I just think Frost and the staff he has built need to continue to recruit Florida. I don't believe it's a Florida thing based on some of the info i've posted. But I get the discussion for sure.
Thank you for understanding that this is not an exercise in saying we should not recruit FL. Rather a discussion to seek understanding of the phenomena.

You and a few others have definitely supplied some points for thought. There has been some good ideas here.

BTW I agree that at best Covid is a secondary contributing factor. Not a primary thought. I think that the poster discussing us and 4 star recruits who expect to start right away and Indy 3 star recruits who realize they have to earn it. May be on to something. Your point on last second push guys is also an interesting take.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back