• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

Why has France prospered more than the U.S. during the 20th century?

EastOfEden

Scout Team
10 Year Member
Because the supposed greater prosperity of the U.S. over this period is skewed by the large slice in the U.S. taken by our top 1%. So the other 99% of the French have done better than the other 99% of us.

This is one of the interesting points made by Appelbaum in his book The Economists' Hour, a well -researched discussion of the capture of the major policy posts in this country by economists during the second half of the 20th century. Their outsized influence has extended into the 21st century. Their influence has caused our country, according to Applebaum, to become a country of consumers; we have lost our industrial and manufacturing bases because of the economists arguments in favor of unrestrained markets, jobs have been lost forever, and our environment has degraded in some cases beyond recapture.. What we are left with is an unsustainable economy, an increasingly frustrated citizenry, and a major threat to liberal democracy. Already many nations have looked at our system and declined to accept it.

This is not a goody two shoes book, however; it's quite a good history book and fascinating description on how the society has been moved by one professional group in little over 50 years to change basic beliefs we long held in the country.
 

satcong2

Recruit
2 Year Member
Because the supposed greater prosperity of the U.S. over this period is skewed by the large slice in the U.S. taken by our top 1%. So the other 99% of the French have done better than the other 99% of us.

This is one of the interesting points made by Appelbaum in his book The Economists' Hour, a well -researched discussion of the capture of the major policy posts in this country by economists during the second half of the 20th century. Their outsized influence has extended into the 21st century. Their influence has caused our country, according to Applebaum, to become a country of consumers; we have lost our industrial and manufacturing bases because of the economists arguments in favor of unrestrained markets, jobs have been lost forever, and our environment has degraded in some cases beyond recapture.. What we are left with is an unsustainable economy, an increasingly frustrated citizenry, and a major threat to liberal democracy. Already many nations have looked at our system and declined to accept it.

This is not a goody two shoes book, however; it's quite a good history book and fascinating description on how the society has been moved by one professional group in little over 50 years to change basic beliefs we long held in the country.
Ever since we saved the Free World's butt in WWII the US has bled for all free people. Don't start on this liberal clap trap, there isn't a scintilla of evidence. The US has been the only beacon for freedom since before WWII.
 

EastOfEden

Scout Team
10 Year Member
Yeah. Silly to read the 336 pages I guess. Nothing in them that isn't leftist or liberal or whatever term you used. He couldn't possibly say anything reasonable.
 

Blue Howl

Drink up, Shriner!
5 Year Member
Yeah. Silly to read the 336 pages I guess. Nothing in them that isn't leftist or liberal or whatever term you used. He couldn't possibly say anything reasonable.
I'm not going to waste my time reading historical analysis from a left-winger who is part of the organization that developed and is promoting the 1619 project.
 
Top