• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Luke McCaffery Transferring

NCAA better beware or Vince McMahon may start a new football league and put these transfers in real paying jobs. Which said in jest, some, always wondered why someone never got the semi-pro thing going more.
It’s because these jobs pay a lot better than Vince McMahon could. Fully paid education, nice digs, all the food you can eat in fancy dining halls, counseling, life coaching, academic tutoring, free shoes, apparel, exclusive, club-like hangout areas with billiards, ping pong, air hockey, 4K HDTVs, complete with all of the refreshments your mouth desires.

Why is that not happening on defense but happening on offense? DWilliams, Dismuke, Stille, Honas, they all have the same reasons to go to the NFL as Mills, Stoll, Farniok and all have the same responses from the advisors. Why are we having to worry about the portal for guys on offense but not defense?

Where else would you hear anything about LM transferring? Isn't that where all the talk about WR transferring was happening too?
You said Mills should go take his NFL shot because of his age. You said Farniok wasn’t a great fit for this offense. Stoll has never made any negative comments about the staff or the program. He wants to take his shot now. That’s evidence of what? We haven’t heard anything from McCaffrey that suggest he’s unhappy with the staff or the program. Nothing. We have one offensive player leaving under undesirable circumstances. Robinson. Are we overreacting?

You said Mills should go take his NFL shot because of his age. You said Farniok wasn’t a great fit for this offense. Stoll has never made any negative comments about the staff or the program. He wants to take his shot now. That’s evidence of what? We haven’t heard anything from McCaffrey that suggest he’s unhappy with the staff or the program. Nothing. We have one offensive player leaving under undesirable circumstances. Robinson. Are we overreacting?
Nope. Probably underreacting honestly. Guys on defense are staying that have better NFL ability than guys on offense who have less NFL appeal. We have the worst statistical offense since 2009 and are trending backwards and will be younger than we were in 2020 when we claimed we are young.

Did you hear anything from Wandale that he was unhappy with the staff until he put his name in the portal? Wandale and Luke are in a very similar spot. Let’s hope he stays.

Last edited:

Are offensive recruits being sold a vision of usage during the recruiting process, only to find a completely contrary vision once they arrive on campus?
I certainly understand the pandemic related issues.
I also observe patterns in nature, and at this point in time, departures are the nature of our offense, specifically skill positions, more specifically wide receiver.

Are offensive recruits being sold a vision of usage during the recruiting process, only to find a completely contrary vision once they arrive on campus?
I certainly understand the pandemic related issues.
I also observe patterns in nature, and at this point in time, departures are the nature of our offense, specifically skill positions, more specifically wide receiver.

Gone are the days when you get a guy like Jon Bostic who caught a little over 50 passes in his Nebraska career. They want their touches. They will get their touches.

It’s because these jobs pay a lot better than Vince McMahon could. Fully paid education, nice digs, all the food you can eat in fancy dining halls, counseling, life coaching, academic tutoring, free shoes, apparel, exclusive, club-like hangout areas with billiards, ping pong, air hockey, 4K HDTVs, complete with all of the refreshments your mouth desires.
And wait until the Name-Image-Likeness earning potential kicks in. The better players are going to be earning a small fortune.

As for the playoffs, the playoffs have made 4-5 teams the granddaddy and everyone else fights for the scraps. No one is wanting to see the same teams every year in the playoffs. It’s tiring and old. Evidence the ratings for these playoffs. I believe they were down significantly this year. Significantly. That should make the power brokers nervous. Think about it, 4 playoff spots for 130 competing teams? Stupid. No other sport is like that. Personally, I wish they’d go back to the old bowl system, when as many as 5-6 teams could win it if things fell right. At least it made most of the bowls meaningful. Now, no one cares. That’s a big problem that will have to be addressed.

The playoffs totally took the fun out of the bowl games, which took the fun out of the post season. It was always fun discussing/arguing over who was #1, #2, etc. Playoffs. Blah! :Frown:

The playoffs totally took the fun out of the bowl games, which took the fun out of the post season. It was always fun discussing/arguing over who was #1, #2, etc. Playoffs. Blah! :Frown:
There isn’t a perfect setup to determine a national champion of 130 teams, all while keeping a schedule below 14-15 games. Personally, I think a 10 game season would be best, followed by a playoff for at least 16 teams. Will never happen though because of the money. Remember, it isn’t about the well good of the sport, the product, it’s about the money.

He would be the first one I would look elsewhere with if I was Frost. I think there's a reason we get really fast guys that can't throw all that well. He's an odd duck but he only has to get one guy a year, so far he's been doing that. Just haven't been developing I suppose.

Honestly, with all due respect to Heinrich Haarberg, this year is a big indictment against Verduzco in terms of his one guy. Verduzco had his 2020 guy committed since July of 2018. He had two years to identify and nail down a guy for 2021.

There's no excuse for him not having a bigger board established. He seemingly focused on two guys and when Dematrius Davis and then Peter Costelli chose elsewhere, it seemed he was caught with his pants down. He pivoted to a guy he and Frost had wanted to see throw first, but went against that because his board was all but gone. I think he was scrambling big time after Costelli chose Utah.

I think Haarberg would have been an awesome Athlete/2nd QB in this class, but having him be the lone guy has to be a concern, especially when you take into account how bad Verduzco has been at developing the three guys he already has in the room - and Haarberg is the biggest project of the bunch.

McCaffrey and Haarberg both should have been recruited as athletes/2nd QBs. Is Verduzco so quirky and odd that a lot of kids can't really relate to him or can't imagine being coached by him for four, five years? Frost's offense should have sold itself when Nebraska brought in Martinez, McCaffrey and Smothers. Those three committed before Frost coached a game at Nebraska and were enamored by his rep at UCF and Oregon, with names like Mariota and Milton still fresh in their minds.

I agree whole heartedly. I miss the days when the only bowl alignment was the Rose (and as a kid never understood why that was allowed). Loved the 71 season when the Orange rolled the dice on inviting Nebraska and Alabama, prior to both undefeateds playing their undefeated rivals.
Look at 70 season and see the jockeying for position. Both years made many bowls relevant. (sorry whoever thinks the Big 8 was tied to the orange contractually-that wasn't until much later to be official.)

Leave LM at QB until we have a clear cut #2 that is better than him. Develop the WRs we recruited to play the position. If we're relying on LM to dramatically improve our receiving corps then we've got much bigger problems
I'm thinking(hoping) that smothers is the real deal.
Because it’s increasingly clear that what we are doing is not working. The definition of insanity is consistently repeating the same behavior while expecting a different outcome. Without downfield throwing, not only do we lose the games, we lose WR recruits because of it. While that may not be the full reason Wandale left, I’m sure it contributed. And I would bet it’s on our other receivers minds.

Edit: I agree with @ShortSideOption on the run game with QBs winning some games, but wouldn’t throwing have more of an impact? If we just stick with the run, do we really think that will lead to more wins? It feels like we are burning the candle at both ends losing games and losing recruits as well.
Well, that really is not the definition of insanity..but a tired, old, overused and inaccurate cliche.
who cares why we won the games, QB run? Fake punt runs? fumblerooskie? You win games by winning games.
I agree, that it seems that the team is painted into a corner of thin QB room and should keep LM there-unless the TP turns up something-if they are looking that direction. Thinking (hoping) that maybe Smothers is the real deal. I know there are some on the board who think that Haarberg is not the guy. Those guys also don't like cigar smokers.- The NFL playoffs are full of guys nobody wanted on their college team (Josh allen is first on the list for today).

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back