• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Why do Guinness bubbles sink?

LingonVin

All American
15 Year Member
Here's why and science has the answer:

"The mystery of why the bubbles in the legendary beer Guinness sink as opposed to rise as one might expect has finally been solved — the secret apparently lies in the shape of the pint glasses from which Guinness is often sipped, researchers in Ireland say. After you pour a glass of the famous Irish stout Guinness, the white bubbles settle downward. Since bubbles are lighter than beer, you might think this defies the laws of gravity.
"In one's everyday life, one rarely comes across such a counterintuitive phenomenon, challenging equally the imagination of a university professor as well as that of Bill, John and Harry from the local pub," said researcher Eugene Benilov, an applied mathematician at the University of Limerick in Ireland.
The solution to this puzzle lies in how the beer flows in the glass. The beer flows downward near the walls of the glass, dragging the tiny bubbles along with it, and then upward in the interior. This circulatory pattern eventually leads to a creamy white head of foam resting on top of the almost-black brew."

More here: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/47681338/ns/technology_and_science-science/

And I thought it had more to do with how much you drink!

I would have been happy to have participated in this study !!!!

images

i was in Ireland a few years back...ordered a Guinness and went to reach for it and the bartender hit me with a stick like object...Thought is was sa nun ....sheesh they take their beer seriously. DO NOT TOUCH UNTIL SETTLED

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back