• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Why can't NCAA allow teams to schedule a 13th game this year?

@Hville

I’m sorry but I just disagree. A cool 5 million to the Athletic Department is NOT little money...

That‘s the current estimate of what home games bring in.....let’s assume that it equates to “only” 3-4 Million actual profit. That’s enough to cover the entire recruiting budget and then some for one full year. That’s enough money to ensure that some sports that are hanging by a thread right now get enough funding to continue. Or Athletic Department jobs for that matter.

And that’s just university only money. We’re not even talking about the city of Lincoln where are the hotels, restaurants, bars, and shopping would receive a boost. How much? I honestly don’t know but does it matter? More is better than less. ESPECIALLY after this year.

Our athletes played 4 games less last year...possibly 5. I just don’t see them in any danger by one additional game this particular year. In fact if it were voted on, I would bet the farm that the teams would vote for it overwhelmingly. And what about all the good that it helps the non-power five and FCS schools who in no way have the funding capability of a school like Nebraska.

No my friend, this is such a common sense thing to do....that of course it will be ignored.

Sad we have such a lack of leadership and vision in the BiG and NCAA.

My bet is that if Jim Delaney was still the Big Ten commissioner we‘d be jumping on something like this conference wide. And it would be hailed!

Last edited:

@Hville

I’m sorry but I just disagree. A cool 5 million to the Athletic Department is NOT little money...

That‘s the current estimate of what home games bring in.....let’s assume that it equates to “only” 3-4 Million actual profit. That’s enough to cover the entire recruiting budget and then some for one full year. That’s enough money to ensure that some sports that are hanging by a thread right now get enough funding to continue. Or Athletic Department jobs for that matter.

And that’s just university only money. We’re not even talking about the city of Lincoln where are the hotels, restaurants, bars, and shopping would receive a boost. How much? I honestly don’t know but does it matter? More is better than less. ESPECIALLY after this year.

Our athletes played 4 games less last year...possibly 5. I just don’t see them in any danger by one additional game this particular year. In fact if it were voted on, I would bet the farm that the teams would vote for it overwhelmingly. And what about all the good that it helps the non-power five and FCS schools who in no way have the funding capability of a school like Nebraska.

No my friend, this is such a common sense thing to do....that of course it will be ignored.

Sad we have such a lack of leadership and vision in the BiG and NCAA.

My bet is that if Jim Delaney was still the Big Ten commissioner we‘d be jumping on something like this conference wide. And it would be hailed!
If this is such a great idea why don't we do it every year? But wait.......lets make it 14 games.....or 15 games......or 17 like the pros? After all. The athletic departments could use all this added revenue correct. 12 games was set as a staple for a reason. Most likely player safety. The aftermath of C-19 doesn't justify a longer season regardless of how people want to make it that way. What's next.....adding more basketball games, Baseball games, volleyball games, golf matches, tennis matches? If you make this just "about the money" you are basically admitting to everything that is said negatively about college sports.

If this is such a great idea why don't we do it every year? But wait.......lets make it 14 games.....or 15 games......or 17 like the pros? After all. The athletic departments could use all this added revenue correct. 12 games was set as a staple for a reason. Most likely player safety. The aftermath of C-19 doesn't justify a longer season regardless of how people want to make it that way. What's next.....adding more basketball games, Baseball games, volleyball games, golf matches, tennis matches? If you make this just "about the money" you are basically admitting to everything that is said negatively about college sports.
Lets have a pandemic every year?
They dropped 50 million or something,iowa dropped four sports.
This is an exception, not the rule, right?

Still contact with Old Dominion?

Keep in mind, fair chance to modify 2021 schedule. Like 2020 .... no non-conf games, total of 9 games.

d98y9bT.png

jmqVNzn.png

Last edited:

I'll echo what I've said before: let's just schedule it. Not only do I think we could find an FBS school, but failing that, I'm sure we can find an FCS or D2 school if we really want.

We should be much more assertive on this front and ignore the fallout. Many schools would appreciate it if we went ahead and scheduled a 13th game, because it would then give them cover to also schedule a 13th game. With the budget situation everywhere, I think dozens of schools could ultimately schedule a 13th game after the first mover goes.

And frankly, this isn't even a very wild idea. In '02, we played 13 regular season games because of the BCA Classic. Somehow in 2002, when Nebraska was vying for a CCG and bowl berth, a 13th game was OK, but now in a year when we're not likely to go bowling and definitely not likely to play for a CCG, somehow a 13th game is too much wear and tear? That's bogus. Let's do what's in our best interests here, schedule the game, and figure out the ramifications later.

If you make this just "about the money" you are basically admitting to everything that is said negatively about college sports.
Unfortunately, to have college sports, you do have to have money.

And I think you missed my point entirely. I clearly said a one year only type of deal because of the pandemic which not only affected health, but also drastically affected economics.

I honestly don’t think that player’s safety is a factor here, and coming out of last year where the players played at the very least four games less that last year, I just don’t think we can say that we are overusing, or abusing the players. I’m fine with letting them vote on whether they wanna play or not.

Totally OK to disagree with me. I just think this is a fantastic idea...for the betterment of all.

it’s really, really hard for me to see a downside here.

I'll echo what I've said before: let's just schedule it. Not only do I think we could find an FBS school, but failing that, I'm sure we can find an FCS or D2 school if we really want.

We should be much more assertive on this front and ignore the fallout. Many schools would appreciate it if we went ahead and scheduled a 13th game, because it would then give them cover to also schedule a 13th game. With the budget situation everywhere, I think dozens of schools could ultimately schedule a 13th game after the first mover goes.

And frankly, this isn't even a very wild idea. In '02, we played 13 regular season games because of the BCA Classic. Somehow in 2002, when Nebraska was vying for a CCG and bowl berth, a 13th game was OK, but now in a year when we're not likely to go bowling and definitely not likely to play for a CCG, somehow a 13th game is too much wear and tear? That's bogus. Let's do what's in our best interests here, schedule the game, and figure out the ramifications later.

Nebraska will not schedule another game without NCAA approval -- guaranteed. The NCAA did away with those Classic games almost 20 years ago to limit teams to 12-game schedules.

The other issue, Nebraska is looking to fill a game in week one. The first Saturday in September. How many teams are not scheduled to play a game already that day? Very, very few.

I would be shocked if the NCAA allows Nebraska to add a 13th game. The NCAA is never that easy. The only slight hope is if the NCAA decides to allow all college football teams to schedule an additional game this season. Again, I doubt it.

Nebraska will not schedule another game without NCAA approval -- guaranteed. The NCAA did away with those Classic games almost 20 years ago to limit teams to 12-game schedules.

The other issue, Nebraska is looking to fill a game in week one. The first Saturday in September. How many teams are not scheduled to play a game already that day? Very, very few.

I would be shocked if the NCAA allows Nebraska to add a 13th game. The NCAA is never that easy. The only slight hope is if the NCAA decides to allow all college football teams to schedule an additional game this season. Again, I doubt it.
And just to reiterate, the bolded was my point. I'm not suggesting NU go rouge, but I do fell like it's a worth while endeavor to get some teammates and broach the idea to the NCAA.

And just to reiterate, the bolded was my point. I'm not suggesting NU go rouge, but I do fell like it's a worth while endeavor to get some teammates and broach the idea to the NCAA.

Can't disagree with that. Worth a shot. But I highly doubt the NCAA will bend -- especially in relatively short notice (everything with the NCAA moves slowly). Anyhow, I'd support 13 games if the NCAA allowed for it.

I agree...I doubt it will happen...

NCAA reticence

Lack of vision

Bureacratic overbalance

Lack of any aggressive out of the box thinking concerning any methods to actually deal with the pandemic other than “give the kids an additional year”

All of the above.....

The NCAA is as hidebound as the Big 10....

I honestly see an Armageddon coming soon. Aggressive conferences like the SEC, ACC and even the Big 12 are one day just going to “say no”...we are going to form our own association and move on. PAC 12 may even go that route with a new commissioner.

NCAA is jamming just a whole bunch of things down the power five schools right now who can barely afford it...and non-power five who can’t afford it. It’ll be interesting to see how this all plays out.

I honestly don’t think it would be that hard to find an opponent. We are still basically five months out from game times

Even in a short time frame. Heck Bill Moos’s found a replacement for the Wisconsin game in two days!

I think we all underestimate how desperate the non-power 5 and FCS schools will be to find ANY source of funding. I think the’d jump through hoops to flip-flop schedules within their league or reschedule other games in order to come up with the big payout game.

But I could be totally off base and it might be very difficult.

It’s just that Bill Moos reset all of my conventional wisdom about scheduling...:)

Last edited:
I honestly see an Armageddon coming soon. Aggressive conferences like the SEC, ACC and even the Big 12 are one day just going to “say no”...we are going to form our own association and move on. PAC 12 may even go that route with a new commissioner.

NCAA is jamming just a whole bunch of things down the power five schools right now who can barely afford it...and non-power five who can’t afford it. It’ll be interesting to see how this all plays out.
This type of organizational evolution is happening all over. The pandemic forced companies into either risk-aversion or risk-seeking behavior, and now that we're emerging from the pandemic, competitive balance is all out of whack not just in the NCAA but across all industries and even across countries. I expect widespread social upheaval will follow. Tough situation for an AD. The strategic planning sessions, I assume, must cover a ton of ground, because so much is still up in the air.

I honestly don’t think it would be that hard to find an opponent. We are still basically five months out from game times

Even in a short time frame. Heck Bill Moos’s found a replacement for the Wisconsin game in two days!

I think we all underestimate how desperate the non-power 5 and FCS schools will be to find ANY source of funding. I think the’d jump through hoops to flip-flop schedules within their league or reschedule other games in order to come up with the big payout game.

But I could be totally off base and it might be very difficult.

It’s just that Bill Moos reset all of my conventional wisdom about scheduling...:)

How many teams do you think aren't already scheduled to play in the first week of the season? That's the least likely bye week for any team. We play "week 0" and are looking to fill week one -- that will be very limiting.

Last edited:
How many teams do you think aren't already scheduled to play in the first week of the season? That's the least likely bye week for any team. We play "week 0" and are looking to fill week one -- that will be very limiting.
It's pretty common in these types of situations to involve a 3rd (or 4th or 5th!) school that has a different open date. Many schools are still willing to "trade up" at this point.

My opinion, put it to the vote of the players before going any further. They are the group this idea affects the most. In addition to the health concerns, conditioning, and game preparation (practice, team meetings, and watching film), they have to deal some items that a 17-game season the NFL players don't have to deal with. Attending classes and that pesky home work (school work is just ruining the lives of student/athletes). I remember Dr. Tom always brought that subject up whenever the idea of adding an extra game came up.

The players deserve the opportunity to have some input on this situation. I would back up whatever the players said.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back