• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Whose the best QB?

Regarding Frazier vs. Martinez, if Adrian can live up to his potential it'll be an interesting debate.

But for now, one of them was the MVP of three consecutive national title games, including a game that his team lost (and should have won).
Very True.

Martinez is truly a rare breed for a Husker QB..a kid that can literally do it all at an excellent level. Few Nebraska QB's compare well with what Martnez brings to the table as skill sets. There are only a few with similar skill sets during the Devaney years and early Osborne years. The most comparable to Martinez would be: Bobby Newcombe, Turner Gill, Tom Sorley, Van Brownson, Keithen McCant, Taylor Martinez, Fred Duda, and Brook Berringer. Many others, including TF and EC fall significantly short in the passing category and others like Dave Humm and Vince Ferragamo fall far short in the rushing category. Still others fall short in both.

Martinez has demonstrated tremendous potential, but has yet to accomplish anything. His legacy will ultimately be driven by his accomplishments, not just his raw talent.

Last edited:
Martinez is truly a rare breed for a Husker QB..a kid that can literally do it all at an excellent level. Few Nebraska QB's compare well with what Martnez brings to the table as skill sets. There are a only a few with similar skill sets during the Devaney years and early Osborne years. The most comparable to Martinez would be: Bobby Newcombe, Turner Gill, Tom Sorley, Van Brownson, Keithen McCant, Taylor Martinez, Fred Duda, and Brook Berringer. Many others, including TF and EC fall significantly short in the passing category and others like Dave Humm and Vince Ferragamo fall far short in the rushing category. Still others fall short in both.

Martinez has demonstrated tremendous potential, but has yet to accomplish anything. His legacy will ultimately be driven by his accomplishments, not just his raw talent.

Great post. However, I disagree with "has yet to accomplish anything". There's a reason he is a Heisman candidate. :nod:

I believe an argument can be made that Martinez out performed Frazier when comparing freshman season to freshman season. However, "out performed" may mean one thing to one person and another to another person.

In addition to the competition, Martinez also faced a brand new coaching staff implementing a brand new offense vs a seasoned offense, staff, system and culture. I would also argue the players surrounding Martinez weren't as talented as the players who surrounded Frazier.

It'll be interesting to see how the two compare year to year as we move forward.

Yep.

When it's all said and done, we can go back and look at both players and compare and contrast. '

It's likely Adrian will have much more impressive individual stats than all other Nebraska quarterbacks in the history of the school. What that means in the big scheme of things will be a good conversation that will hopefully be made better by a championship at the conference level at least and maybe a few bowl wins.

Yep.

When it's all said and done, we can go back and look at both players and compare and contrast. '

It's likely Adrian will have much more impressive individual stats than all other Nebraska quarterbacks in the history of the school. What that means in the big scheme of things will be a good conversation that will hopefully be made better by a championship at the conference level at least and maybe a few bowl wins.

I sure hope so.

Another way to look at Frazier's stats is somehow incorporate running back yardage (option pitches) in comparison to Martinez's screens, etc. Probably too difficult to do but Frazier's stats don't tell the entire story. It's like the underhand pitches count nothing for him compared to Martinez's short (overhand) passes. Both option offenses. Anyway, fun to discuss.

It's like the underhand pitches count nothing for him compared to Martinez's short (overhand) passes. Both option offenses.
As a former (mediocre) high school option QB, that used to irk me, too. Most of my best plays never showed up in the stat book because I held onto the ball late, made a clean pitch, got hit, and the RB was off to the races. Teammates appreciate that, and it led to big plays, and that was what really mattered.

If you want a graphic example of a phenomenal play by an option QB that went into the books as nothing by the QB but a 70 yard TD run by a RB--this is painful because it happened against us, and to this day most Colorado fans think it was their best play ever--here's Darian Hagan officially in the record books for NOTHING while JJ Flannigan is credited with a 70 yard TD....

I think he might need to play for three consecutive national championships, be named MVP in all of them, and win two of the games. :)

With RBs, people are comfortable comparing individual stats to help decide the question of who is better. But with QB, it comes down to team results (e.g. Frazier is better because he played for 3 national championships and won 2 of them). Not saying that Martinez is better in way. But, comparing team results for Martinez vs Frazier is not even remotely fair given the amazing other 21 starters (+ special teams) surrounding Frazier from 93-95.

Obviously too late now but I prefer Cinderella in mid 2019 season. I worried about Heisman hype. I hope AM insulate promotional publicity.

Much of his potential, and "potential" "Heisman"potential rests with the defense.

No defense = no comparison.

With RBs, people are comfortable comparing individual stats to help decide the question of who is better. But with QB, it comes down to team results (e.g. Frazier is better because he played for 3 national championships and won 2 of them). Not saying that Martinez is better in way. But, comparing team results for Martinez vs Frazier is not even remotely fair given the amazing other 21 starters (+ special teams) surrounding Frazier from 93-95.
I was just kidding a bit. I hope we have this discussion for real by the end of Martinez's run. He's a special player!

True......didn't think of it in todays environment. Score in the 50's and 60's and then hope you can pull out a win.

Defense has become an afterthought.

Would TF be held in the (deserved) high esteem without those 2 NC trophies? Great stats are nothing more then great stats without commensurate results imo.

At minimum AM needs to bring home some hardware such as division and conference championships. Also some top 10 end of season rankings and major bowl wins. Perhaps making the playoffs over the next several years.

Until those things happen I'm not going to compare him to TF except to say AM is a unique talent with great potential............

I seem to remember a quote from TO the he always considered the option pitch the pass part of a run/pass option.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back