• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Who would you prefer as coach?

Which coach would you prefer, and why?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Between those two, I would choose Bolt. I would really like to see what he would do calling the shots and who he would bring in as assistants.

It's not that hard to be a head coach in baseball, imo. I think prior experience is overrated. Nebraska is a learn on the job destination anyway.

100% agree that it’s not hard to be a head coach or manager in baseball. If you understand the game and don’t do stupid things, you will be alright. Baseball coaches can get out-managed, sure, but it’s not even on the same planet as the importance of a basketball or football coach. Coaching experience is a premium in basketball on football, not as much in baseball.

Heller is undoubtedly the better hire for the next 3 years, but not necessarily because of in-game coaching. At some point, the recruiting ability of Bolt will surpass Heller’s knowledge of building consistent rosters and talent development. So I’m fine with either. Given that baseball doesn’t matter a whole lot, I would probably go with Bolt.

100% agree that it’s not hard to be a head coach or manager in baseball. If you understand the game and don’t do stupid things, you will be alright. Baseball coaches can get out-managed, sure, but it’s not even on the same planet as the importance of a basketball or football coach. Coaching experience is a premium in basketball on football, not as much in baseball.

Heller is undoubtedly the better hire for the next 3 years, but not necessarily because of in-game coaching. At some point, the recruiting ability of Bolt will surpass Heller’s knowledge of building consistent rosters and talent development. So I’m fine with either. Given that baseball doesn’t matter a whole lot, I would probably go with Bolt.

In baseball, it is uncommon to outcoach a guy during the game. You outcoach a guy in practice. Now that I type it, that's probably true of all sports.

I would prefer NU take a shot at a stud assistant coach who wants to take over a program. If that's Bolt, then so be it. If you take what Iowa has accomplished under Heller and flip it over to Lincoln, that doesn't exactly set the world on fire. Maybe he does better in Lincoln, but how much?

I think Heller is a helluva coach. I really don’t think he would be a Riley type failure. I think he would have success in Lincoln. But really all the stats you listed can be said about Riley. Go look at Oregon State before Riley and Erickson.

I would have a bad taste in my mouth if we got Heller or Servais for about a month. Knowing that Erstad was finishing higher than both most every year. But also would come to the realization both those two are really good coaches eventually.

Bolt comes with some pros like his JUCO connections which I think are needed to compete in collegiate baseball and his success while at Nebraska both coaching and playing. But his lack of head coaching experience is a definite red flag.

Personally. I think everyone was on board with Bolt until Moos stated he wanted P5 head coaching experience. Then people started thinking Childress. Moos hung himself a bit there. I also think if Bolt and Heller are your finalists, Moos is finding true what I’ve been saying here for a long time, and that’s that no big time coach is looking to come to the B1G.

While it is not P5 let's not lose sight that Bolt was the HC at Texarkana College for four years I believe. Has to count for something.

While it is not P5 let's not lose sight that Bolt was the HC at Texarkana College for four years I believe. Has to count for something.
I think that's important. But certainly not the P5 experience Moos outlined. Which again I don't think anyone would have had a problem with except Moos stated that's what he was looking for, so it makes you feel he struck out.

Little surprised by the results here. But glad to see it!

I wonder if Heller had the exact same results at somewhere other than Iowa if it would be different. I believe my choice would be the same for the reason I stated above about my preference for Bolt

I wonder if Heller had the exact same results at somewhere other than Iowa if it would be different. I believe my choice would be the same for the reason I stated above about my preference for Bolt
Quite honestly, if Heller had the exact same results at say, Rutgers, I don't think anyone would even take a look at him to take this job. 7th, 2nd, 8th, 4th, 6th, 8th aren't exactly ringing endorsement finishes. It's also interesting that Oregon hired Purdue's coach after he finished 8th, 2nd, and 12th in 3 years and only having one winning record in conference and one regional appearance.

It's really hard to win consistently in the B1G.

GET TICKETS

Back