• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Who would you prefer as coach?

Which coach would you prefer, and why?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Kendall Rogers reporting that Rick Heller (head coach of Iowa) and Will Bolt (Texas A&M assistant, former Nebraska player and assistant) were finalists for the Nebraska job. Taking Childress out of it, who would you prefer between the two? Trying to get a feel for what the fans would value before an announcement is made in the next day or two.

I voted for Bolt mainly due to familiarity and being pretty confident he would prioritize Nebraska kids. I would be OK with Heller though as I think Iowa has made some pretty good progress since he has taken over.

Between those two, I'd take Heller. Almost every name sounds a bit disappointing after the Childress rumors, no matter how unrealistic it was, but I think Heller would be really good with better resources. Bolt seems a little too risky for me with someone like Heller available.

Between those two, I'd take Heller. Almost every name sounds a bit disappointing after the Childress rumors, no matter how unrealistic it was, but I think Heller would be really good with better resources. Bolt seems a little too risky for me with someone like Heller available.
Devils advocate here since I think Heller is a top 3 coach in the Big Ten...

Doesn’t “imagine what he could do with more resources” to a coach finishing middle of the pack every year with one or two good seasons mixed in seem a bit too familiar to something that just failed in Lincoln?

Last edited:
Devils advocate here since I think Heller is a top 3 coach in the Big Ten...

Doesn’t “imagine what he could do with more resources” to a coach finishing middle of the pack every year with one or two good seasons mixed in seem a bit too familiar to something that just failed in Lincoln?

Sure, if you only want to look at it that superficially. But I don't think Heller to Riley is a natural comparison. Heller has averaged nearly 34.6 wins per season at Iowa; in the ten years prior, Iowa averaged 23.5 wins. In 5 years, he has got Iowa into 2 regionals, which Iowa had not been in since 1990.

I don't know if Heller would be an upgrade (although I personally suspect he would be), but I am confident he would not be a Riley level disaster.

Of course, I would like a surer bet and someone with more success than Heller too; but if its between Heller and Bolt, I'd take Heller

Fans get so very excited about the multiple offers and commitments from a nationwide base of FB talent. The fans seemingly support Frost and his staff's work in uncovering talent no matter the location. I understand the "500 mile radius", but why would a baseball need to prioritize NE baseball players?

Fans get so very excited about the multiple offers and commitments from a nationwide base of FB talent. The fans seemingly support Frost and his staff's work in uncovering talent no matter the location. I understand the "500 mile radius", but why would a baseball need to prioritize NE baseball players?

Because we have a crap load of really good players every year.

I don't follow baseball very closely so I had to ask. I didn't know NE was such a hot-bed of baseball talent. thanks

Bolt
I would rather see us try and find the next DVH rather than an Iowa retread. Maybe not a fair comparison but I will stand by it.

Sure, if you only want to look at it that superficially. But I don't think Heller to Riley is a natural comparison. Heller has averaged nearly 34.6 wins per season at Iowa; in the ten years prior, Iowa averaged 23.5 wins. In 5 years, he has got Iowa into 2 regionals, which Iowa had not been in since 1990.

I don't know if Heller would be an upgrade (although I personally suspect he would be), but I am confident he would not be a Riley level disaster.

Of course, I would like a surer bet and someone with more success than Heller too; but if its between Heller and Bolt, I'd take Heller
I think Heller is a helluva coach. I really don’t think he would be a Riley type failure. I think he would have success in Lincoln. But really all the stats you listed can be said about Riley. Go look at Oregon State before Riley and Erickson.

I would have a bad taste in my mouth if we got Heller or Servais for about a month. Knowing that Erstad was finishing higher than both most every year. But also would come to the realization both those two are really good coaches eventually.

Bolt comes with some pros like his JUCO connections which I think are needed to compete in collegiate baseball and his success while at Nebraska both coaching and playing. But his lack of head coaching experience is a definite red flag.

Personally. I think everyone was on board with Bolt until Moos stated he wanted P5 head coaching experience. Then people started thinking Childress. Moos hung himself a bit there. I also think if Bolt and Heller are your finalists, Moos is finding true what I’ve been saying here for a long time, and that’s that no big time coach is looking to come to the B1G.

I think Heller is a helluva coach. I really don’t think he would be a Riley type failure. I think he would have success in Lincoln. But really all the stats you listed can be said about Riley. Go look at Oregon State before Riley and Erickson.

I would have a bad taste in my mouth if we got Heller or Servais for about a month. Knowing that Erstad was finishing higher than both most every year. But also would come to the realization both those two are really good coaches eventually.

Bolt comes with some pros like his JUCO connections which I think are needed to compete in collegiate baseball and his success while at Nebraska both coaching and playing. But his lack of head coaching experience is a definite red flag.

Personally. I think everyone was on board with Bolt until Moos stated he wanted P5 head coaching experience. Then people started thinking Childress. Moos hung himself a bit there. I also think if Bolt and Heller are your finalists, Moos is finding true what I’ve been saying here for a long time, and that’s that no big time coach is looking to come to the B1G.

It's not that hard to be a head coach in baseball, imo. I think prior experience is overrated. Nebraska is a learn on the job destination anyway.

Erstad recruited really well nationally and didn’t do much locally until the last couple years, left some bad tastes in people’s mouths. I understand that.

Whoever comes in needs to do two things, figure out a way to not have our top talent be SEC bound, as every other year Arkansas or A&M would pluck someone. And secondly need to keep an eye on where Nebraska kids go to JUCO and pluck them from there. Bolt would be a stud at that. There’s zero reason that Michael Helman and Nolan Hoffman should grow up in Lincoln and be ok with walking on, then you let them go to JUCO a and sign with A&M to be an everyday player and the closer. They needed JUCO, but we needed to keep an eye on them.

GET TICKETS

Back