• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Who would you like our next coach to be?

Will Bolt.

MA was paid about $330,000 I think. We'll have to pay $$$ for the next coach? IMO, we're already there. Money isn't the issue. Our new conference is a huge issue.

I think it was Shatel who said it best, maybe yesterday that we need to find the next Van Horn. The up and coming coach who is looking to make a name for himself and can use NE as a springboard to a better job with a run of success. I would not mind that at all. I think that is really the only choice we have.

But TO firing Anderson this year is about as likely as Sophie Turner asking for my phone number...

Has Sophie called you, yet? :rolfl: ;)

Last edited:

NU should not be paying that kind of money as it moves on to the big 10. Big 10 baseball is about as bad a league as there is. Some of it may be geography and some of it is that wierd, self-imposed scholarship rule they have. Point being NU will likely never be nationally relevant in baseball again. It has no chance of being a revenue sport...even revenue neutral...so shelling out that kind of money on a coach is completely pointless.

MA should be fired...and a replacement in the 100K range should be the guy. There's no point in pouring money into a hopeless sport.

You get what you pay for, and it is not a hopeless sport. We have one of the finest facilities in the country, and we should draw many, fine players.

Last edited:
If we are going to underpay then we might as well have not have made a change except for the $$ savings of a paycheck. A winning staff will make that back in people's interest

You gset what you pay for, and it is not a hopeless sport. We have one of the finest facilities in the country, and we should draw many, fine players.

Exactly. We'll drag the rest of the Big 10 with us when they get tired of getting their tails kicked. Until the Big 10 reaches respectability, we'll just have to beef up the OOC schedule.

Originally Posted by Fromunda Cheese
Dream coach: Brian O'Connor, Creighton grad (played on 1991 CWS team, Council Bluffs native)

Bio:

http://www.virginiasports.com/ViewAr...&Q_SEASON=2010
First chance he would get, he would bolt to Creighton, for sure. Why would he leave Virginia? He has had awesome success, and continues to thrive there.

If he were a grad of UNL, that would be a different story, don't you think? What say anyone on this?

Creighton has their coach, Servais just won the MVC regular season title although he had some big holes to fill.

Unless the Jays go 0-2 in the MVC tourney (played at TD Ameritrade starting on Tuesday), they are an at-large team for sure.

Ted Silva

Ted Silva
Player Profile

Position: Assistant Coach
Experience: First Season
Alma Mater: Cal State Fullerton '95

Email Coach Silva

Click Here For Interactive Yearbook Page

Ted Silva is in his first season as an assistant coach in the LMU baseball program. Silva came to the bluff after serving three successful seasons as the pitching coach for UC Irvine, a perennial powerhouse in Division I baseball out of the Big West Conference.

No stranger to each other, Silva and head coach Jason Gill spent time as teammates on the Cal State Fullerton baseball team in 1994, helping the Titans to a 47-16 overall record and a College World Series berth. As coaches, the two last reunited in 2005 and 2006 as part of a Fullerton staff that guided the Titans to a pair of Big West Conference championships, and a trip to the College World Series in 2006.

Under Silva's direction, UC Irvine pitchers posted a combined 3.89 earned-run average the last three seasons, all of which included NCAA postseason appearances. In his first year, the Anteaters won the regional at Nebraska in 2008, and were three outs away from a trip to the College World Series, before host LSU rallied to win the Super Regional. UCI followed that successful season by winning the program's first Big West Conference title in 2009. Last year, UCI finished second in the Big West and was eliminated by host UCLA at the Los Angeles Regional.

Developing some of the top pitchers throughout his coaching career, Silva opened his coaching stint as a volunteer assistant at Cal State Fullerton, helping the Titan staff log a national-best 2.73 ERA, the only team in the country under 3.00 in 2006. Moreover, he helped guide All-Americans and first-round picks Ricky Romero (2005) and Wes Roemer (2006) to Big West Pitcher of the Year selections. During his three seasons as UC Irvine's pitching coach, Silva watched four pitchers (Christian Bergman, Daniel Bibona, Scott Gorgen, Eric Pettis) on his staff haul away a combined 19 All-America accolades. In addition, Silva, who guided Gorgen to a Big West Pitcher of the Year selection in 2008, saw Bibona notch his second consecutive Pitcher of the Year selection in 2010, ensuring that he guided one of his pitchers to the elite award in all five seasons as a coach in the Big West Conference.

Last year, Silva guided the Anteaters to a 3.98 ERA and 483 strikeouts, both second in the conference. In 2009, the pitching staff tied the program-high with 20 saves, and in 2008 he watched the Anteaters post the third-best ERA in the country at 3.27, also the program's lowest since 1974. That same year, UCI's arms set a record in strikeouts with 503, becoming the only Anteater staff to reach the 500 mark in a season.

Prior to joining the UCI staff, Silva spent the 2007 season at Fresno State and helped the Bulldogs to a 38-29 mark and an NCAA regional berth in San Diego. The Bulldog pitching staff posted the second-lowest ERA in the WAC that season at 4.54, with three Bulldogs ranked in the top-10 individually.

Silva, a two-time, first team all-conference selection, played at Cal State Fullerton from 1993-95. The right-hander finished his career with a 26-7 overall record for the Titans, boasting a career ERA of 2.92 and 26 saves, which rank fourth in Fullerton baseball history.

Silva helped the Titans claim the National Championship in 1995 after collecting a pair of wins over Stanford in the tournament opener and USC in the championship game. Silva was named all-tournament and was also a first-team All-America choice by the American Baseball Coaches Association, Collegiate Baseball, Baseball America, and the Greater Houston Sports Association. The Big West Conference honored Silva as the Pitcher of the Year after leading the nation in victories, posting a single-season record 18 wins (18-1 overall) that still stands in the Titan record books. Silva ended the year with a 2.83 ERA with 142 strikeouts in 152.2 innings.

As a sophomore in 1994, Silva represented the Titans on Team USA and was a second-team All-American according to Collegiate Baseball. He finished the year with a 4-4 record, a 2.29 ERA and 13 saves, a total that ranks tied for third on the school's single-season charts.

Silva was a 21st round draft selection in 1995, and spent five years in the Texas Rangers organization following a brilliant collegiate career. He spent one season pitching overseas in Taiwan, and also pitched in the independent Atlantic League.

Silva, who served as an assistant coach in charge of pitching at Villa Park High School in 2004, prepped at Redondo Union High School in Redondo Beach, Calif. and graduated in 1992.

Saying we have one of the finest facilities around is a massive over-statement. I bet there has been 40 new stadiums built or renovated since we have built ours. And part of what made Hawks field so great was the support, the past 3 years squashed whatever home-field advantage we may have had. The only draw we have is that a coach can come in and dominate a B1G league with B12 players, and have a great win percentage. Also, I think TO is going to pay to get a name in, so we may have the financial backing as well.

Here's a link to renovations that were done for just one year (08'/09'), the better part of a decade past ours:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/college/season-preview/2009/267641.html

Where I agree that our stadium is one of the best for a coach looking for a team with a great ballpark. Anymore, ADs will promise coaches a new or renovated stadium if the wins and fans start showing up (see Vanderbilt and Virginia to name a couple).

Saying we have one of the finest facilities around is a massive over-statement. I bet there has been 40 new stadiums built or renovated since we have built ours. And part of what made Hawks field so great was the support, the past 3 years squashed whatever home-field advantage we may have had. The only draw we have is that a coach can come in and dominate a B1G league with B12 players, and have a great win percentage. Also, I think TO is going to pay to get a name in, so we may have the financial backing as well.

Here's a link to renovations that were done for just one year (08'/09'), the better part of a decade past ours:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/college/season-preview/2009/267641.html

Where I agree that our stadium is one of the best for a coach looking for a team with a great ballpark. Anymore, ADs will promise coaches a new or renovated stadium if the wins and fans start showing up (see Vanderbilt and Virginia to name a couple).

I agree, Haymarket type facility is now becoming the norm.

However, a slight clarification. Vanderbilt does not have an AD, and have spent 1/10 of those linked while competing in conference with a third of (linked) them. Vandy was in the bottom of the toilet; think urinal cake, before Corbin showed up.

I agree, Haymarket type facility is now becoming the norm.

However, a slight clarification. Vanderbilt does not have an AD, and have spent 1/10 of those linked while competing in conference with a third of (linked) them. Vandy was in the bottom of the toilet; think urinal cake, before Corbin showed up.

You are right, that coach has made Vandy what it is today for sure. But I thought I read that they upgraded the facility for him with all of his success. I'm probably wrong. Our transition to the B1G in baseball has just as many questions marks now as intrigue towards the football teams transistion in my opinion.

You are right, that coach has made Vandy what it is today for sure. But I thought I read that they upgraded the facility for him with all of his success. I'm probably wrong. Our transition to the B1G in baseball has just as many questions marks now as intrigue towards the football teams transistion in my opinion.

they did some upgrades in the past several years... but it's very ordinary.

http://vucommodores.cstv.com/facilities/hawkins-field.html

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back