• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Who would you be 'happy' with?

Which of these coaches would you be happy with (check all that apply)

• Total voters
Mike Riley, your table for two is ready.

Been there, done that
non-sequitur-your-facts-are-uncoordinated.gif

I do think that a Matt C is close to the same hire as Mike Riley. I realize his record is better, but not by much-61% vs 56% so Matt Campbell wins 1 more game every two years. No Thank You!
Except Campbell is about 20 years younger than Riley was when he was hired. So hypothetically more energy, ambition and opportunity to grow and improve.

Note: I'm not shilling for Campbell in any way, but I do think he would be better than Riley was.

I'm told that MR had multiple 9 win seasons and a 10 win season at OSU, and he didn't make mean faces. If we can find a guy like that, what could go wrong?
it is simply nonsense to imply that all coaches who have character will be as successful as Mike Riley. true intellectual drivel. the track records and trajectory of Aranda and Riley could not be more different

it is simply nonsense to imply that all coaches who have character will be as successful as Mike Riley. true intellectual drivel. the track records and trajectory of Aranda and Riley could not be more different.

He is taking a shot at me because I made the mistake of using MR to compare and contrast records with Campbell trying to show that success at a lower tier P5 school does not mean it will translate to NU. Somehow that went over his head or he is ignoring the purpose of the example in order to make snarky comments at me. Best to just ignore him.

C

He is taking a shot at me because I made the mistake of using MR to compare and contrast records with Campbell trying to show that success at a lower tier P5 school does not mean it will translate to NU.
Kudos for admitting your mistake. It takes a big man to admit when he's wrong. :Cheers:

it's about more than the W/L record at Jacksonville for me

Little Nicky had a lot more issues at Miami than just his W-L record. Plenty of articles how badly he handled things as HC of the Dolphins. Just saying the NFL isn't for everyone as we've seen a lot of good college coaches have epic fail in the NFL. UM has plenty of baggage but no one can make the case he hasn't been a heck of a college football coach imo.

His coaching ability is not why people are concerned.

It doesn't really matter. He's not coming here. He'll likely end up at A&M when they fire Jimbo at the end of this year and be in the playoffs by next season. We can feel good that his questionable off the field stuff didn't make it up our way though while we herald Scott Frost for his unprecedented time here.

Kudos for admitting your mistake. It takes a big man to admit when he's wrong. :Cheers:

For the record, I am not against Matt Campbell. Was just trying to show there is a gamble with all coaches, I wish you could have had a normal discussion instead of reverting to your usual snark.

C

Except Campbell is about 20 years younger than Riley was when he was hired. So hypothetically more energy, ambition and opportunity to grow and improve.

Note: I'm not shilling for Campbell in any way, but I do think he would be better than Riley was.
Good point. I do think there is a small number of guys we should be talking to right now until they say no, and Matt Campbell would not make the list.

GET TICKETS

Back