• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Who was the best/your favorite FB?

Ben Gregory and Choo Choo Charlie Winters were pretty salty FB's back in the day. Solich played FB but was really a HB in disguise. Phil Bates wasn't too shabby either.
I am pretty darn sure Ben Gregory was a half back. Maybe even a flanker. 1966 roster has him listed as HB. One of my earliest memories in Memorial Stadium is Ben Gregory going into motion (1967). Update, he was listed as FB for 1965 (sophmore year); HB for 1966 & 1967.

One other point, we kind of ran a winged T, if I recall correctly. You really had two backs adjacent to each other. One (FB) directly behind the QB the HB to either side of him and the flanker on the wing on the opposite side. Almost a pro set w/ the exception of the FB directly behind the QB.

Now, between 1) Jim Kiick & Mercury Morris (pick your season) and 2) Larry Csonka which ones were listed as FB? Which ones ran like a FB and which like a HB?

Last edited:

Tom Rathman and the Makovicka bros. and Mark Scheleen.

Last edited:
Until he got to the NFL.

Don't forget Tough Tony Davis who moved from IB to FB.
Yes on Touchdown Tony. I am not sure that the IB to FB move was the smartest move Tom Osborne ever made. About the best thing was it reduced the total number of fumbles as TD had a big tendency to fumble and he'd carried the ball far less. But I don't think John O'Leary or Monte Anthony were more effective I-Backs. I might argue in hind sight they should have been the Fullbacks. I think TD was the best runner of the three. As I recall, TD returned punts in the NFL and looked reasonably nimble doing so.

I still remember Tony's assault on end zone pylons against UCLA! A joy to watch!

Last edited:

Fullback is tough. We've had so many great ones. My tops are as follows:
  1. Tom Rathman - what a awesome name. Rathman ran with great wrath and had the speed to go the distance.
  2. Andra Franklin - truly a great player and runner. Maybe not as fast over the full distance as Rathman, but he was awesome. Ran angry.
  3. Bill Olds - he was the starter in 1971 & 1972. He was a good all around player. Probably the better combination of running and blocking than Maury Damkroger (who was a year younger). Olds had a good career in the NFL as a running back as did Damkroger (as a LB). There had been talk in 1972 that we should (have) moved Olds to IB and had Damkroger start at FB. That should have been done as we'd have had our two best backs on the field at the same time.
  4. Schlesinger
  5. Makovica
  6. Doddie Donnell - I liked watching him run.
  7. Tony Davis - why #7 because I liked him? Because he should have stayed at IB.

I am pretty darn sure Ben Gregory was a half back. Maybe even a flanker. 1966 roster has him listed as HB. One of my earliest memories in Memorial Stadium is Ben Gregory going into motion (1967). Update, he was listed as FB for 1965 (sophmore year); HB for 1966 & 1967.

One other point, we kind of ran a winged T, if I recall correctly. You really had two backs adjacent to each other. One (FB) directly behind the QB the HB to either side of him and the flanker on the wing on the opposite side. Almost a pro set w/ the exception of the FB directly behind the QB.

Now, between 1) Jim Kiick & Mercury Morris (pick your season) and 2) Larry Csonka which ones were listed as FB? Which ones ran like a FB and which like a HB?
Brain fart by me on that one...

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back