• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Who Should Be The Next Coach After Frost?

I really hate the thought of having to start over. I was totally on the Frost train until mid season. He needs to be at .500 or at least make some big changes. Beyond disappointed he hasn’t pursued a transfer QB. Hopefully he makes changes and we show progress, though hope is not a strategy.

In terms of who I hope we go after:
1. Matt Campbell - moneywhip him but a real long shot
2. Lance Liepold
3. Jeff Monken - Army HC

Curious what makes you say that?
Also curious, I’ve seen Zac Taylor at more than one Husker road game tail gates. I think it’s safe to say he still has an affinity for his alma mater. Not saying he would come, but I wouldn’t rule it out either.

Last edited:
If it becomes apparent that we have to replace Frost, I'm wondering who we should go after. I just don't think it makes sense to go after the same old coaching circle guys who have been around quite some time and have already failed somewhere else.
The only 2 current coaches I think would work would be Matt Campbell or Lincoln Riley. Would they be willing to come to NU if we threw enough $ at them?
The other alternative would be to find another "Diamond in the Rough" like Devaney. Much easier said than done.
I suggest going after one of the current coaches that run the elite High School programs around the US. Schools like IMG or Mater Dei where kids transfer in from other high schools to get a chance to play there.
You could probably offer them 2-3 times their current salary and still be under 1 million a year. Offer them good sized performance bonuses if they were able to perform better than expected.
I think these coaches would have knowledge of very good assistant coaches to hire either from HS or college.
Just wondered if anyone thinks this idea would work for NU?
Go get Indiana’s coach.

Curious what makes you say that?
Because if he gets fired (big if as the Bengals are on build up and they have Burrow) why would an NFL HC go back to college at his alma mater esp when the previous was also an alumnus and QB? No disrespect to Zac but Frost was a more decorated QB and a hero. Why would he want to step into that when the prior coach was heralded as a hero and then shown the door 4-5 years later.

He would stay in the NFL as an Asst first before heading back to any hornet's nest waiting for him in LNK.

Sheesh do I really need to explain this?

I think if you're playing this game, you have to hope Frost gets two more years and Urban sucks in the NFL those two years. You send a pile of money to Urban, he pulls a Saban, and NU gets better. Option B is pretty much the same, sell your soul to the devil. I still think Frost will get it done, things just look bleak right now.

My wish list:
1) Luke Fickell (same with Campbell, waiting on elite level job to open up)
2) Brent Venables
3) Billy Napier

Because if he gets fired (big if as the Bengals are on build up and they have Burrow) why would an NFL HC go back to college at his alma mater esp when the previous was also an alumnus and QB? No disrespect to Zac but Frost was a more decorated QB and a hero. Why would he want to step into that when the prior coach was heralded as a hero and then shown the door 4-5 years later.

He would stay in the NFL as an Asst first before heading back to any hornet's nest waiting for him in LNK.

Sheesh do I really need to explain this?
For millions of dollars. Why did Hairball go back to Michigan?

I’m sorry, but I think this is a ridiculous post! Bill Moos has stated that coach Frost is no where near a hot seat and coach Frost has a 7 year contract. Our program has been a revolving door of coaches and as a program became craptastic! What we need is some consistency in the program and we need all of this negative banter to go away, because all it does is make it harder for coach Frost to rebuild this program. We need to give him 6 or 7 years, even if the years leading up to that are crappy. If after 7 years we still suck, fire him. At least we show future coaches that they will be given a chance to turn things around before they are fired. But in my opinion, by year 7 coach Frost will have us humming!

I think if you're playing this game, you have to hope Frost gets two more years and Urban sucks in the NFL those two years. You send a pile of money to Urban, he pulls a Saban, and NU gets better. Option B is pretty much the same, sell your soul to the devil. I still think Frost will get it done, things just look bleak right now.

I can't imagine Urban would ever come to Lincoln. There are much more attractive jobs he could get in recruiting hotbeds.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back