• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Who Should Be The Next Coach After Frost?

Obviously, this wouldn't be a good idea if we are looking for a HC next year, but give it a few more years and IF Jake Peetz has success as LSU offensive coordinator that's someone to keep an eye on. Although I agree with others, I would much rather get someone with college football experience preferably even P5. Although the best outcome is that all this discussion is mute and Frost is able to get things going next year.

Alabama fans cried and said after Bear Bryant retired they'll NEVER EVER be another Bear Bryant and of course they were right. Bear won .824 % over his 25 year career. Bama we all know eventually went out and hired a coach that's now winning at .880 after 14 years and with a chance to win his 6th NC tonight.

Clemson had many good seasons and also some not so good seasons over the past 50 years. Of course we all know what happened with their program when Swinney was hired and now winning at .809 the past 13 years. Could point to other programs that became elite programs after hiring the right coach. The KEY of course is hiring the right HC!

There obviously won't be another coach Osborne but there could be someone just as good waiting to be discovered and hired. Unfortunately Nebraska has a very poor track record hiring coaches after TO retired. Sure hoped and really thought that SF was going to change all that which he still might. Having said that nothing I've seen in the last 3 years gives me confidence that we've found the HC we need to start playing lots of winning football. Frost gets his 4th season without question but if we watch another train wreck what's the point of having him back for #5?

I completely disagree but I give you credit for sticking to what you believe.
To use a Basketball analogy, The 7'4" Center for Purdue this year was the 2nd. string center for IMG last year. He got beat out by the 7'1" Center they had. What kind of coach is good enough to keep the 7'4" kid sitting on the bench, when he could have went to most other High Schools and been their Star Player. I'm just saying that the culture of kids today is much different than it was in the past and you need a coach that can relate to them.

To use a Basketball analogy, The 7'4" Center for Purdue this year was the 2nd. string center for IMG last year. He got beat out by the 7'1" Center they had. What kind of coach is good enough to keep the 7'4" kid sitting on the bench, when he could have went to most other High Schools and been their Star Player. I'm just saying that the culture of kids today is much different than it was in the past and you need a coach that can relate to them.
IMG is a very expensive prep school for lots of high school age athletes. While some football players get financial aid, most pay the full cost of $75,200 a year. Getting parents to pay is a crucial part of the business model. Hardly compares to a normal school since his parents were obviously paying BIG BUCKS for him to go there. Not at all like going to a public HS and sitting on the bench imo. Just saying....

Last edited:

And NONE of those reasons would be why Lincoln Riley, Zac Taylor (demoted from the pros), Matt Campbell (has bigger fish to fry IMO) or others named by the OP would come to Lincoln. The only exception to that would be Herman who did not exactly light it up with superior talent and in a diluted B12.
Agree with Lincoln Riley and said so in my initial post. In regards to Zac Taylor, he very well could get fired next year and if that happened and we offered him, I am pretty sure he would take the job. Also the pay from the pros vs college is not all that different any more. Lots of college jobs pay more or the same than several pro jobs. I am not convinced that Nebraska couldnt get Campbell. Not saying for sure we would either. Any of the other coaches I listed, I believe we would have a good shot at.

holy crap, we did NOT need this thread. Let the guy succeed or fail BEFORE pushing him out the door.

He deserves at least another season before anything like this should be talked about.

Agree with Lincoln Riley and said so in my initial post. In regards to Zac Taylor, he very well could get fired next year and if that happened and we offered him, I am pretty sure he would take the job. Also the pay from the pros vs college is not all that different any more. Lots of college jobs pay more or the same than several pro jobs. I am not convinced that Nebraska couldnt get Campbell. Not saying for sure we would either. Any of the other coaches I listed, I believe we would have a good shot at.

Not a snowballs chance even if Taylor gets fired does he come to Lincoln.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back