• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Who is the best recruit for each head coach at Nebraska (Devaney to Frost)?

Are we talking best player (with the benefit of hindsight and current knowledge) or most highly-touted recruit (as ranked at the time)?

In the latter case, it would be Marlon Lucky for Callahan, Baker Steinkuhler for Pelini, Tyjon Lindsay for Riley, and Wandale Robinson for Frost. I don't remember who was the highest-rated Solich recruit (David Horne?).
Septak and Horne were disappointing.

Septak and Horne were disappointing.

Good call on Septak... I totally forgot about that dude! Highly-rated recruit, but I'm not sure he ever saw the field.

Horne at least had one memorable performance (2002 Texas A&M) before moving on to N. Iowa.

I was not going to disagree with Frazier, hes a great choice. But i've always said we dominate the 90s with a host of other NU Qbs because those teams were that good overall, regarldess of the QB. You could then open up a can of worms to a whole host of decent opinions beyond TF
I disagree with the bolded, in the 90's we had 3 great QB's Frazier, Frost and young Crouch. Berringer was very good but at a somewhat lower level. We obviously won at the highest level with Frazier and Frost...Berringer kept us in the game, but we were vulnerable with him against the better/best teams (yeah, he handled Colorado at home)...the same with Crouch, and moreso with other QB's. We would not have gone 60-3 with a full diet of Berringer, Crouch or any other NU QB of those days. The 95 team, as great as it was, would not have been unbeaten with Keith McCant or Gerry Gdowski or Frankie London or Mickey Joseph or Mike Grant. You can put your blinders on and believe that, but it isn't true. Nebraska is not alone in needing great QB's to win at the top level...it is just how it is.

Are we talking best player (with the benefit of hindsight and current knowledge) or most highly-touted recruit (as ranked at the time)?

In the latter case, it would be Marlon Lucky for Callahan, Baker Steinkuhler for Pelini, Tyjon Lindsay for Riley, and Wandale Robinson for Frost. I don't remember who was the highest-rated Solich recruit (David Horne?).

I intentionally left it open to whatever you might consider. So it can be highly touted or who ended the best or who had the best career as a player/coach later, etc.

A lot of great comments so far.

For Solich, where does someone like Carl Crawford fit? He was a 1999 commit, who ended up choosing baseball, having a solid career, and never making it to Lincoln. I don't remember following recruiting as closely, but I do recall reading up about him and I guess I thought he was going to be the future at QB with Jammal Lord in the same class being maybe the insurance.

Or was Crawford a longshot to make it to Lincoln anyway?

BTW, Lord did have some brilliant moments out there.

Last edited:
A lot of great comments so far.

For Solich, where does someone like Carl Crawford fit? He was a 1999 commit, who ended up choosing baseball, having a solid career, and never making it to Lincoln. I don't remember following recruiting as closely, but I do recall reading up about him and I guess I thought he was going to be the future at QB with Jammal Lord in the same class being maybe the insurance.

Or was Crawford a longshot to make it to Lincoln anyway?

BTW, Lord did have some brilliant moments out there.

Solich has actually been on record as having said that if Crawford had played football at Nebraska, that he would have started and Jammal would have been a safety (and eventually had a good career in the NFL as a safety). He even suggested in the same article that Crawford could have challenged Crouch for starting QB, which speaks to how immensely talented he must've been as a QB. I remember he could steal bases in the MLB like it was no one's business.

Solich has actually been on record as having said that if Crawford had played football at Nebraska, that he would have started and Jammal would have been a safety (and eventually had a good career in the NFL as a safety). He even suggested in the same article that Crawford could have challenged Crouch for starting QB, which speaks to how immensely talented he must've been as a QB. I remember he could steal bases in the MLB like it was no one's business.

I didn't realize that. Based on Lord's HS #s I always felt he was a reach and pursued as much for pure athleticism as anything else.

Really an amazing athlete. Chose Nebraska football over UCLA basketball and then ultimately MLB over Nebraska football.

I disagree with the bolded, in the 90's we had 3 great QB's Frazier, Frost and young Crouch. Berringer was very good but at a somewhat lower level. We obviously won at the highest level with Frazier and Frost...Berringer kept us in the game, but we were vulnerable with him against the better/best teams (yeah, he handled Colorado at home)...the same with Crouch, and moreso with other QB's. We would not have gone 60-3 with a full diet of Berringer, Crouch or any other NU QB of those days. The 95 team, as great as it was, would not have been unbeaten with Keith McCant or Gerry Gdowski or Frankie London or Mickey Joseph or Mike Grant. You can put your blinders on and believe that, but it isn't true. Nebraska is not alone in needing great QB's to win at the top level...it is just how it is.
WE can agree to disagree. SF was a good but not great QB for example. WE win all those titles with guys like keithen mccant, steve taylor, turner gill or gerry gdowski at QB IMO. you dont have to agree but thats my opinion. NO we dont win with others at the helm but we do with the 4 i mentioned IMO
Most that have followed NU closely know that the major changes that impacted the huskers from the 80s to the 90s was the change in defensive scheme and speed

Last edited:
WE can agree to disagree. SF was a good but not great QB for example. WE win all those titles with guys like keithen mccant, steve taylor, turner gill or gerry gdowski at QB IMO. you dont have to agree but thats my opinion. NO we dont win with others at the helm but we do with the 4 i mentioned IMO
Most that have followed NU closely know that the major changes that impacted the huskers from the 80s to the 90s was the change in defensive scheme and speed
Obviously, we will not agree on this and that is just fine. I do want to say though that SF WAS a great QB though sadly we only got to see two years of him. He needed the first year to get comfortable in the offense and establish himself as a leader on the team...no easy job following TF. His second year, he was amazing, running the option and passing at least as well as TF.

I do agree TG could've QB'd us to 60-3 with those guys (he was great as well as TF and SF) but because he was 10+ years out of that era, I didn't mention him. Heck, he was coaching by then and the only great QB from the 80's. GG was a very good QB but 60-3? Not a chance...ST had plenty of opportunity to show greatness and never did...KM doesn't even belong in the conversation. I won't convince you, nor wll you and anyone else convince me differently...again that is fine.

Last edited:
Obviously, we will not agree on this and that is just fine. I do want to say though that SF WAS a great QB though sadly we only got to see two years of him. He needed the first year to get comfortable in the offense and establish himself as a leader on the team...no easy job following TF. His second year, he was amazing, running the option and passing at least as well as TF.

I do agree TG could've QB'd us to 60-3 with those guys (he was great as well as TF and SF) but because he was 10+ years out of that era, I didn't mention him. Heck, he was coaching by then and the only great QB from the 80's. GG was a very good QB but 60-3? Not a chance...ST had plenty of opportunity to show greatness and never did...KM doesn't even belong in the conversation. I won't convince you, nor wll you and anyone else convince me differently...again that is fine.
Respect your opinion!
ST wasnt quite as smooth as TF running the option but was close and a better passer and was a 1st team AA for a reason. ST didnt have the talent around him and accross the side of the football like TF did.
KM was pure greatness but will never get that due because he presided over a team that had the worst defenses NU has ever had........which eventually prompted the change in entire defense philosophy.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back