• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Who is the best Nebraska football writer and who does he work for?

Yes, after Bo got the job, Dirk showed up in Youngstown unannounced and after a fall camp practice, tried to walk up to Bo and interview. He was ushered away by a Youngstown official or assistant.
Again, he was just trying to get an angry reaction out of him so he could write all about it. Zero respect for that move

I don't see an issue with that. If Dirk sat/stood on the sidelines and starting calling things out - that's an issue. Showing up and making a request? Not an issue. I also don't have an issue with Bo refusing the interview.

and in some ways he proved Bo's point about the media covering Husker football.

It can be seen as an illustrative encounter... Bo has a point about an overbearing media presence when it comes to Husker football. And, it can also lend credence to the thought that Bo is too thin skinned to be the head coach at a major program.

I don't see an issue with that. If Dirk sat/stood on the sidelines and starting calling things out - that's an issue. Showing up and making a request? Not an issue. I also don't have an issue with Bo refusing the interview.

It can be seen as an illustrative encounter... Bo has a point about an overbearing media presence when it comes to Husker football. And, it can also lend credence to the thought that Bo is too thin skinned to be the head coach at a major program.

Very few journalists just show up like that. In fact, the accepted way is requesting access through the SID department. He did neither, because he knew it would be denied. He wanted a negative reaction so he could write all about it happily. That's not journalism.
Bo was too thin skinned, but at the same time certain media members were horrific in their treatment and coverage. Dirk tweeted about Bo for three years AFTER Bo left. He's a snotty little douche who loves being a troll, and he brings nothing to the table from a writing point of view.

Dirk is a good researcher and sports writer. He writes a lot of good stuff in that way.

I don’t think he is a very good day to day reporter. He takes things to personally and tries to get under people’s skin. It’s a football press conference not a White House briefing by the press secretary.

Sipple I think had actually gotten better. He is less of a homer. Sam McKeon is better on his pick six pod casts. Much more open that way.

Very few journalists just show up like that. In fact, the accepted way is requesting access through the SID department. He did neither, because he knew it would be denied. He wanted a negative reaction so he could write all about it happily. That's not journalism.
Bo was too thin skinned, but at the same time certain media members were horrific in their treatment and coverage. Dirk tweeted about Bo for three years AFTER Bo left. He's a snotty little douche who loves being a troll, and he brings nothing to the table from a writing point of view.
Point taken. You don't like Dirk. I'm going to guess, probably don't know him personally, either.

That's fine. Just understand there are two sides to every story.

Last edited:
dirk has written some compelling articles, but his going to youngstown, really just sold as a point of low class. He knew he was a problem for Bo, but he couldnt let it go.

***/Huskermax
I don’t completely disagree. *** definitely writes informative pieces on here especially during the season. I always have enjoyed reading his break down after a game. I don’t consider him a journalist however. I know it pisses him off but I firmly believe if you’re going to actually write stories about people you need to put your name and face to it. I think it’s fine on Huskermax but not for any true news source. I’m sure my opinion isn’t popular here on this topic. I’m also sure *** will have someone run to him today and say OMG look what Frosty wrote! Because that’s what happens when I criticize the main man on Huskermax.

Damn @goodnterribles you definitely don’t like Dirk. I’ve never really enjoyed reading him but I think Pelini also helped make that a bad relationship. It is a fish bowl here and hard for coaches to handle. I still enjoy husker homer Steven A. Sipple. Sip and Shatell both entertain me.

Last edited:

I don’t completely disagree. *** definitely writes informative pieces on here especially during the season. I always have enjoyed reading his break down after a game. I don’t consider him a journalist however. I know it pisses him off but I firmly believe if you’re going to actually write stories about people you need to put your name and face to it. I think it’s fine on Huskermax but not for any true news source. I’m sure my opinion isn’t popular here on this topic. I’m also sure *** will have someone run to him today and say OMG look what Frosty wrote! Because that’s what happens when I criticize the main man on Huskermax.

Damn @goodnterribles you definitely don’t like Dirk. I’ve never really enjoyed reading him but I think Pelini also helped make that a bad relationship. It is a fish bowl here and hard for coaches to handle. I still enjoy husker homer Steven A. Sipple. Sip and Shatell both entertain me.

You're right, I absolutely do not. Not only do I think he's nothing special as a writer, but he purposely writes troll articles to get clicks. That's fine if that's how you want to make a living, but you're also covering college age athletes. He wrote a lot of pieces that were unfair to the players, and that's 90% of why Bo hated his guts.
I don't want the local media to be cheerleaders, but they also don't need to be like paparazzi covering the royal family either. Unfortunately, Dirk falls in the latter category.

Dirk is a good researcher and sports writer. He writes a lot of good stuff in that way.

I don’t think he is a very good day to day reporter. He takes things to personally and tries to get under people’s skin. It’s a football press conference not a White House briefing by the press secretary.

Sipple I think had actually gotten better. He is less of a homer. Sam McKeon is better on his pick six pod casts. Much more open that way.
Was it Dirk that just wrote the book about African American athletes from Omaha? I’ve been meaning to read that. Sounds like a great historical piece on the many great black athletes from here.

You're right, I absolutely do not. Not only do I think he's nothing special as a writer, but he purposely writes troll articles to get clicks. That's fine if that's how you want to make a living, but you're also covering college age athletes. He wrote a lot of pieces that were unfair to the players, and that's 90% of why Bo hated his guts.
I don't want the local media to be cheerleaders, but they also don't need to be like paparazzi covering the royal family either. Unfortunately, Dirk falls in the latter category.
I don’t read him much. I remember he took shots at TM a few times. I thought that was amateur writing.

Was it Dirk that just wrote the book about African American athletes from Omaha? I’ve been meaning to read that. Sounds like a great historical piece on the many great black athletes from here.

I have no idea. As I said Dirk writes some very good long research type articles. His day to day reporting is not nearly as good. It is a little too acidic and spiteful for my tastes. Yes Bo Pelini acted like petulant child in many instances, but Dirk IMO was not any better.

I felt the same way about Lee Barfnect. Lee acting like he was writing something profound for the Washington Post and had to be this neutral almost go against the grain writer. He acted like he was being Carl Bernstien.

I have no idea. As I said Dirk writes some very good long research type articles. His day to day reporting is not nearly as good. It is a little too acidic and spiteful for my tastes. Yes Bo Pelini acted like petulant child in many instances, but Dirk IMO was not any better.

I felt the same way about Lee Barfnect. Lee acting like he was writing something profound for the Washington Post and had to be this neutral almost go against the grain writer. He acted like he was being Carl Bernstien.
I found it! I heard them talking on 1620 about it. Sounds like a great piece of Omaha history.
FBF75E0B-ED6A-46A0-AE15-592460865EC4.jpeg

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back