• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Who is the best Nebraska football writer and who does he work for?

Sherman - The Atlantic
Dirk - when he isn't silenced by the OWH.

Sam and Sip are mouthpieces for the greater good at this point, unfortunately. Shatel does what he does and, to his credit, understands his role as a reporter for the general state of things, not breakdowns. Whether I agree with him most times, is a different story.

North Stadium needs to let the reporters do their job and stop meddling with how they do it.

Last edited:
Sherman - The Atlantic
Dirk - when he isn't silenced by the OWH.

Sam and Sip are mouthpieces for the greater good at this point, unfortunately. Shatel does what he does and, to his credit, understands his role as a reporter for the general state of things, not breakdowns. Whether I agree with him most times, is a different story.

North Stadium needs to let the reporters do their job and stop meddling with how they do it.

I don't disagree with your other choices although I like Sam quite a bit, but Dirk? That guy is a hack with an axe to grind. Him showing up at a Youngstown St practice unannounced to try to get a gotcha moment from Bo tells me all I need to know about him.

I don't disagree with your other choices although I like Sam quite a bit, but Dirk? That guy is a hack with an axe to grind. Him showing up at a Youngstown St practice unannounced to try to get a gotcha moment from Bo tells me all I need to know about him.
It's why I love the guy. He and Lee B were the only reporters in the state to stand up to Pelini during the bullying years. Huge grin on my face imagining Bo when he saw Dirk there. Dude didn't give in an inch and gave back what he got.

Last edited:
It's why I love the guy. He and Lee B were the only reporters in the state to stand up to Pelini during the bullying years. Huge grin on my face imagining Bo when he saw Dirk there. Dude didn't give in an inch and gave back what he got.

I guess we have different views on a)what a journalist should do and b)how a normal, respectful human should act.

Dirk should have been fired immediately after that, and I'll never take anything he writes seriously. He should be covering lemonade stand openings, not major college sports.

I guess we have different views on a)what a journalist should do and b)how a normal, respectful human should act.

Dirk should have been fired immediately after that, and I'll never take anything he writes seriously. He should be covering lemonade stand openings, not major college sports.
I view Dirk's primary job is reporting on Husker sports and the state of the various programs. in terms of Husker football, he's not the most savvy strategy guy, he's not who I'm going to look to for a breakdown of blocking schemes, but I feel he's a good perspective guy. He appears to have a read on people, and he definitely has a spine. Where most Jr. reporters would (and did) back down to Pelini's abrasiveness, he stood his ground. That's exactly what a report should do - keep asking questions.

In terms of him going to Youngstown, I didn't read that piece and didn't realize that happened (my google search skills failed so I couldn't find it. I'm asking out the following questions out of pure curiosity). For better or worse, Bo is relevant to Husker fans and will be new worthy in these parts till he calls it a career. As such I have no issue with Dirk going to Youngstown, announced or not. Did he talk to Bo? If not did he try to? Did you not like it because you felt he took shots, the story was inaccurate, or that it was in poor taste?

Note: Dirk's long form series', such as the one on the background of the Frost hire and 24th & Glory, are excellent.

I view Dirk's primary job is reporting on Husker sports and the state of the various programs. in terms of Husker football, he's not the most savvy strategy guy, he's not who I'm going to look to for a breakdown of blocking schemes, but I feel he's a good perspective guy. He appears to have a read on people, and he definitely has a spine. Where most Jr. reporters would (and did) back down to Pelini's abrasiveness, he stood his ground. That's exactly what a report should do - keep asking questions.

In terms of him going to Youngstown, I didn't read that piece and didn't realize that happened (my google search skills failed so I couldn't find it. I'm asking out the following questions out of pure curiosity). For better or worse, Bo is relevant to Husker fans and will be new worthy in these parts till he calls it a career. As such I have no issue with Dirk going to Youngstown, announced or not. Did he talk to Bo? If not did he try to? Did you not like it because you felt he took shots, the story was inaccurate, or that it was in poor taste?

Note: Dirk's long form series', such as the one on the background of the Frost hire and 24th & Glory, are excellent.

Yes, after Bo got the job, Dirk showed up in Youngstown unannounced and after a fall camp practice, tried to walk up to Bo and interview. He was ushered away by a Youngstown official or assistant.
Again, he was just trying to get an angry reaction out of him so he could write all about it. Zero respect for that move, and in some ways he proved Bo's point about the media covering Husker football.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back