• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Who is our Ryan Leaf?

WestTexasHusker

All Legend
10 Year Member
I mean no disrespect to Ryan whatsoever. In fact I have a ton of R E S P E C T for the guy how he’s turned his life around. But he is the self-annointed biggest draft bust in history.

In Husker football lore, who is the biggest recruiting bust of all time, again meaning no disrespect for such person(s), just more as a matter of historical reflection.

I think my pick is Curt Dukes, simply because his failure to ascend to greatness likely led to the end of the Solich era, which proceeded to usher in a 4 year nuclear winter, followed by a decent Pelini stretch, followed by an even colder nuclear winter.

Had Dukes produced, Franky might be walking the sidelines in 2019 in Lincoln.

I mean no disrespect to Ryan whatsoever. In fact I have a ton of R E S P E C T for the guy how he’s turned his life around. But he is the self-annointed biggest draft bust in history.

In Husker football lore, who is the biggest recruiting bust of all time, again meaning no disrespect for such person(s), just more as a matter of historical reflection.

I think my pick is Curt Dukes, simply because his failure to ascend to greatness likely led to the end of the Solich era, which proceeded to usher in a 4 year nuclear winter, followed by a decent Pelini stretch, followed by an even colder nuclear winter.

For what it’s worth I consider Tony Mandarich the biggest bust in NFL history.

He got drafted before Barry “Freaking” Sanders.

I also am not sure I agree that Dukes was a cause for the Solich downfall. Jammal Lord was a quite passable and serviceable QB. Very underrated and had the unenviable task of following Eric Crouch. The issue was JLo and Crouch for that matter suffered through the lack of playmakers surrounding them. Solich’s poor recruiting in his first few years doomed the team to its poor record and his ultimate dismissal.

I also am not sure I agree that Dukes was a cause for the Solich downfall. Jammal Lord was a quite passable and serviceable QB. Very underrated and had the unenviable task of following Eric Crouch. The issue was JLo and Crouch for that matter suffered through the lack of playmakers surrounding them. Solich’s poor recruiting in his first few years doomed the team to its poor record and his ultimate dismissal.
That and play calling. TO was not nearly as predictable as people think he was. Frank relied way too much on the QB run. I remember watching during the Solich years calling out the plays before they happened. I was right about 90% of the time. With TO especially in the 90s it was more like 50-60%.

I have always said that I thought Frank would have been better if he would have let Turner call the plays. Frank so wanted to be Tom that he did the play calls. So he went from never calling plays and never being the head coach to doing both. I think it was too much for him.

Please don't disrespect Jammal by referring to him as 'Jenny on the block'. ;)

If we are talking recruits, Marlon Lucky and DeAngelo Evans have to be in the mix.

More than Frazier? Nope.
Here is the only reason I disagree. Frazier was pre internet available information. So those of us living away from NE had no idea who TFraz was prior to him playing. Following recruiting became a very big deal as the internet blew up. So around the late 90s early 2000s people everywhere started paying attention. I remember all the articles about HB parents buying a condo for game days etc.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back